Windows OOM Kill, possible memory leak? (more memory needed than usual, keeps rising parked idle on ground)

EnQ

I'm not sure if it's really an issue with the Challenger itself but it's the first time I noticed that Windows 10 did an OOM kill.

I tried to fly EDDF-LOWS yesterday, route: CINDY2L CINDY Z74 HAREM T104 WLD T702 OLETU DCT EBEDA L173 TITIG TITIG1R

At a reproducible point on that route (between AMDID and TITIG, roughly 30 minutes enroute, during descend) Windows killed X-Plane as could be seen in the Windows Event Log (Windows Logs/System, source "Resource-Exhaustion-Detector", just after crash messages). It seems that Windows does not like to overcommit memory and exhausted the sum of physical RAM + swap/page file. X-Plane at that point was reported with more than 22 GB of "committed" memory.

I could solve the issue by increasing swap space. During the next attempt X-Plane successfully passed the 22 GB mark of "committed" memory. After landing (~26 GB committed) I kept the simulator running without interaction, Challenger was idle but kept powered up by GPUs. I observed that the committed memory continued to raise significantly. When I quit the simulator about 30 minutes later the committed memory showed around 36GB (10 more than during landing).

Actual used memory also increases but only very slowly and diverging from "committed" memory.

This looks like there's some memory leak in my installation (at least something requests way more memory than actually required). As I never encountered OOM messages on my system before (I check the Windows event log after every sim crash - Edit: there were two previous instances of OOM kills, see below) and had no issues flying long distances all across Europe within the same sim session a few months back (VATSIM Worldflight) it's likely that the Challenger might have a memory leak. It could also be caused by SAM which I recently updated a few weeks ago but I've flown a lot (and long sessions) since then and only had one spontaneous reboot which seems unlikely to be related to an OOM kill. The Challenger is the only other big change to that configuration.

Specs: 32 GB RAM, previously 8 GB page file, now increased to 24 GB

Note that Windows does not display any message, X-Plane just closes. If it is related to the Challenger, then I would suspect several crash reports can be attributed to that OOM kill issue. Unfortunately users need to lookup the event log to figure out what happened.

Edit: I searched the log and it seems I missed two more instances of OOM kills that happened in the past (over a period of 7 months). The Challenger definitely is more demanding and may just be a more reliable way to trigger that (previously rare) condition on my system but the fact that the "committed" memory keeps increasing that quickly although the aircraft is idle on ground together with plenty of crash reports on this forum makes me believe there could be more to it and there might actually be a memory leak. I will observe memory consumption further during the next flights and also compare it to other aircraft.

Edited by EnQ