Alaska Challenge 2011

Lukasz

http://www.fly-sea.com/challenger/

"This event will bring you to some of the most interesting places in Alaska. Event consists of 4 stages or 20 legs.

Start line is opened on 19.03.2011 and will remain opened till 23.03.2011 for all those who wish to join us at later stage. As all Challenger events, it will last slightly more than a week, till 27.03.2011. Once crews reach the Kodiak, we will announce the bonus leg.

Awards will be presented in accordance with our standard rules and practices."

"Common rules apply for all Challenger events

First, there is a "gentlemen agreement" that:

* you will NOT use GPS and other RNAV equipment, but only conventional radio navigation or visual flying

* both IFR and VFR is approved

* crash detection is ON

* all flight are flown online (VATSIM/IVAO)

* you will limit use of autopilot to cruise flight

* in case of crash or incident - you will call Challenger maintenance team (thickbox in PIREP form) which will fix your airplane, usually within the same day, so you can proceed with the event after the repair (you will be notified when airplane is ready)."

Sounds like my kind of flying :) Since lately I've been flying around Alaska anyway, I've decided to join the event, before I'll leave that area. Here is a complete track layout as seen in Goodway:

In order to be able to fly all the segments, I had to divide them differently from the "stages" concept mentioned on the event website, because of real life time constraints:

Day 1 - 19.III - PAKT-PAPG - 135nm - 1:21(100KTAS) - 0:54(150KTAS)

Day 2 - 20.III - PAPG-PAOH - 143nm - 1:26(100KTAS) - 0:58(150KTAS)

Day 3 - 21.III - PAOH-PAGY - 130nm - 1:18(100KTAS) - 0:52(150KTAS)

Day 4 - 22.III - PAGY-PACY - 224nm - 2:14(100KTAS) - 1:29(150KTAS)

Day 5 - 23.III - PACY-PAVD - 138nm - 1:23(100KTAS) - 0:55(150KTAS)

Day 6 - 24.III - PAVD-PASX - 160nm - 1:36(100KTAS) - 1:03(150KTAS)

Day 7 - 25.III - PASX-PAIL - 155nm - 1:33(100KTAS) - 1:02(150KTAS)

Day 8 - 26.III - PAIL-PADQ - 226nm - 2:16(100KTAS) - 1:30(150KTAS)

Day 9 - 27.III - extra time for unexpected delays and for the last secret segment

As you can see, it's doable time-wise (add some time for preflight preparations and touch'n'goes at airfields between the first and the last ones on each day). Navigation also shouldn't be too hard, as there are plenty of NDBs along the route, as well as shoreline landmarks. The whole route is pretty well documented on the website (charts etc.), there is also skyvector.com with its real life sectional VFR charts (+current weather information - a VERY important item in Alaskan flying!).

I plan to do my flying as written above, on VATSIM between 2000Z-2300Z, reg as always SP-KTL and I think I'll take Bell 206. Too much fixed wings lately ;) See you in the airspace, let's show the world how X-Plane pilots fly  8)

post-1467-131369601667_thumb.jpg