Online flying advice please!

Airace

I've recently purchased X-Plane 9, downloaded Vatsim and succesfully connected online but where do I actualy go as all airfields are empty and no chatter? Previously I used another server on fsx that showed all the rooms so am somewhat lost on this new system! I appreciate any pointers to where I need to go or do!Thanks! :D

"Lis", so I need to download"Vroute"? So I don't need Xsquawkbox,vatsim then?  I am really confused :D    

I looked on some of the sites suggested and read all about Xponder,etequete,setup etc etc but nothing about how to actualy fly online with others. I also noticed when I went to an airport,say Heathrow,London that I cannot find ATC,tower frequencies,only runway ILS numbers.I see other aircraft taxiing but no sound etc.  I know FSX was different in some ways so maybe I have a massive learning curve to understand how X-Plane works or its' limitations? thanks again! :D

I downloaded "Vroute" and can see lots of data listed but how do I join their sessions(rooms)or am I off the track? Sorry but am totally confused.I have used online before and it was as simple as "join a game,room" and that was that!

Ok, sorry for the confusion :D

Join Vatsim through XSquawkbox plugin - that you have done.

To join voice room, you have to:

1) set sound options in XSquawkbox. You can find it within X-Plane's [plugins] menu.

2) tune your COM1 radio to appropriate frequency. And that's it :D You join rooms by tuning the radio.

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/faq

How do I use voice-over-IP with XSquawkBox

For VATSIM, configure your microphone and speakers using the Audio Setup dialog box. Voice features will work automatically as you tune your Com1 radio to controllers that are using voice.