Xsquawkbox mic noise?

rlawrence

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My apologizes if it's not.  I looked for a Vatsim specific forum here. 

After 10+ yrs of using Vatsim on and off, I got booted off the network for mic noise.  I've never had any trouble on the other flight sim platform.

My mic was turned off on my headset as I soon as I was told my mic was hot.I  was trying to troubleshoot the issue and yet there was still noise according to Vatsim. It was a little aggravating to not be able to have appropriate time to respond to the private message. I was booted before I could finish my message. I did some more troubleshooting . I calibrated my mic again and logged back on .I get a message as soon as long on still hot. I got frustrated and logged off.  I understand it was probably just as annoying for controllers as me. The point of the post is, what would be considered an appropriate squelch level? What is causing the background noise if my mic is turned off?   If I set my levels on the mic low I pass all the test, but I will get mic cold. My playback sounds just fine though!  If I turn my mic up a little and add 10% boost then I get all passed, but according to Vatsim my mic is hot. My guess is it has to do with squelch levels? Has anyone else ran into this? 

I'm nervous to even log back on and keep trying. There's no way to test the calibration unless I login to Vatsim. I could always add a message in my flight plan remarks, but I'm afraid of either losing my account or being suspended if this continues to be a problem.  

Hiya,

Only tried vs a handful of times, i'm pretty deaf from industrial hearing damage, and as i daren't risk using voice i stick to text on vs (the times i've tried it)

Maybe pluck more courage up and get more into it lol

To your mic, well, a way i see you can test it better other than the obvious settings test in windose is, try teamspeak 3 etc just to rule out a mic fault

If you know someone in your flying circle of friends, maybe try with one/several

Maybe this can define if/what the fault is/or not lol (does that make sense even lol)

I know what you mean about only testing in vs, again, a downer for me hehe

Maybe you could contact support at vs and explain your problem, you never know, you may get a decent reply where you could actually have a 1 on 1 to attempt to sort the mic, no idea how likely this is, but worth a try if they do support queries

Hope you get it sorted

Tony

Well, I know for sure it's X-plane. I removed my XSB preferences and started again. I did the calibration test and got it well with in an acceptable range. My voice sounded good on playback and no background noise was detected. 

I logged onto HOU_CTR to prepare for a DAL-LAX flight and heard hot mic right away. So it must be REALLY bad. I don't understand how it can be that bad when I can't hear anything wrong on playback? . I unplugged and plugged my mic back in. I  reloaded XSB  and asked on the same voice channel.  I logged off. I booted up p3d, logged on to ATL_APP , since I fly out of there regularly and asked if my mic was hot. He said no,  it sounds just fine.

I hate to feel like just wasted $200 + on addons to start the switch to x-plane.  It doesn't seem like this will resolve. I really would love to go to X0plane, but need to be able to use XSB. I know I can't be the only one who had this issue. Would a USB headset be a more viable option to use on XSB? Could it be nothing more than my cheap headset on XSB. It's Creative Fatality. I have a usb/ bluetooth headset I use for PS4. I don't think it will work on PC, but if it does maybe it's worth a try? I'm out of answers. I do use two different sound cards. My nice creative and the built in realtek chip set for my headphones/mic. Could the two separate cards play a role? :unsure:

Are you sure that the input setting in XSB's Audio Setting panel is not "Built-In Microphone"?

Engine and ambiance noise picked up by computer's built-in mic can block your voice specially if X-Plane audio is coming out through the computer's own loudspeakers. If you calibrated the mic with the engines not running, that could be the reason for the clean audio test recording. Make sure XSB audio input is set to your headset's mic.

I really recommend that you try the USB headset. I use a very inexpensive (less than ten US dollars) Maxell USB set that works great.

The mic and ATC are set up to come through my headset and everything else through my other my soundcard. I did a flight tonight on  FS  and Vpilot. It worked fine, but with the EXACT same configuration in used in xpl minus Vpilot, I get a hot mic message from all controllers. I'll try the calibration test with engines running, but isn't the point to make sure there's NO background noise? 

If all else fails I'll try get my PS4 wireless unit to work with my PC 

I don't have a build in computer speaker.