Smartcopilot

birdy.dma

I will be in front of my main computer next tuesday only.

New datarefs are probably strings, and should not affect smartcopilot.

This one is interesting: "Various fixes to sound engine.  Some sounds being heard when they should not and vice versa", because it could solve the guard caps problem.

2 hours ago, VYLL said:

I read in 1.0.3 new datarefs are added regarding CDU, does your profile compatible with them cause I afraid we will lose some options between crew members, don't we?

After testing with @dr_nerdrage we made some changes to:

1. Sync weather properly
  2. Solve an issue we were having with the Nav 2 radio not being synced and glitching in the cockpit.
  3. Added sim/engines/TOGA_power to [COMMANDS] section so N1 would work at takeoff
  4. Remove glare-shield checklist sync so they can be looked at independently.

Cheers,

Justin

smartcopilot.cfg

Edited by jsnapp
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, jsnapp said:

After testing with @dr_nerdrage we made some changes to:

1. Sync weather properly
  2. Solve an issue we were having with the Nav 2 radio not being synced and glitching in the cockpit.
  3. Added sim/engines/TOGA_power to [COMMANDS] section so N1 would work at takeoff
  4. Remove glare-shield checklist sync so they can be looked at independently.

Cheers,

Justin

smartcopilot.cfg

Hi jsnapp and dr_nerdrage. I am happy: no more alone with this file!

1 Weather:

Seems to me that during final, hand flying by the slave, it is better to have winds, shear and turbulence continuously synchronized (not each 5 seconds). This is the settings I use since one year or more. Is it better ? Debate is opened, but I think yes.

About bandwidth, datas are transmitted only if values are renewed. So, no problem here.

In fact, the best and luxurious way (more expensive), is to delete everything about weather, and use on both side FSRGW + Sundog plugins. So, each pilots have the same visual and visibility, same spots on the weather radar ( which is a wonderful part  of the simulation).

2. NAV2. Good new, I had hard time with radios.

There is a mystery with some knobs. If we sync the knobs theme self, (ixeg/733/radios/radios_nav1_mhz , ixeg/733/radios/radios_nav1_khz ), we can’t set some values  For example, 114.xx is not doable, only 113.xx or 115.xx.

Same with the speed knob (ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_ias_mach_act ). Here 250knpts is not possible, only 249 or 251.

But ADFs, altitude… are right.

3 TOGA: good catch.

4: Check list: better. It was already on my to-do list.

Claude.

• Upvote 1

Tried this tonight, it was the most fun I have had in years....i am used to flying the Leonardo Maddog in shared cockpit in FSX but this was a million times better. We had a few moments of lag as the weather updated at high level but all in all it was terrific. Did not seem to synchronise the time with the Master which gave a few wrong times in the FMC but I can live with that. If you haven't tried shared cockpit, don't delay, you will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/8/2016 at 10:52 AM, birdy.dma said:

Hi jsnapp and dr_nerdrage. I am happy: no more alone with this file!

1 Weather:

Seems to me that during final, hand flying by the slave, it is better to have winds, shear and turbulence continuously synchronized (not each 5 seconds). This is the settings I use since one year or more. Is it better ? Debate is opened, but I think yes.

About bandwidth, datas are transmitted only if values are renewed. So, no problem here.

In fact, the best and luxurious way (more expensive), is to delete everything about weather, and use on both side FSRGW + Sundog plugins. So, each pilots have the same visual and visibility, same spots on the weather radar ( which is a wonderful part  of the simulation).

2. NAV2. Good new, I had hard time with radios.

There is a mystery with some knobs. If we sync the knobs theme self, (ixeg/733/radios/radios_nav1_mhz , ixeg/733/radios/radios_nav1_khz ), we can’t set some values  For example, 114.xx is not doable, only 113.xx or 115.xx.

Same with the speed knob (ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_ias_mach_act ). Here 250knpts is not possible, only 249 or 251.

But ADFs, altitude… are right.

3 TOGA: good catch.

4: Check list: better. It was already on my to-do list.

Claude.

1)  My understanding of the way you had the file (and how we tried to leave it) is that those important aspects of wind altitude, speed, direction, and sheer are indeed synced well using the [CONTINUED] section, so that the pilot flying is the one sending that data to the other about winds.   Looking at the file again though I see I accidentally also included those lines in [SLOW] as well.   (Not sure how smartcopilot handles the double inclusion of a dataref in multiple places.  oops.)   I have commented them out now in the attached .cfg file that I am calling version 1.2.1 (hope you don't mind).   The remaining weather items though I do think should be in slow, like setting the cloud types and height and barometric pressure.  Those don't change very often and if they do they cause redrawing in the sim, correct?

2) The issue with nav2 is that doesn't seem to be a way to have both the dataref for the clickspot/knob actions (sorry I am blanking on the correct 3d cockpit terminology lingo) synced and having the tuned radio frequency stay synced.   If you try and sync the user interface actions to get sound, if the over eager first officer drags the knob to fast you might lose a click and then the frequency will be mismatched.     Currently we have it as you left nav1 where you just sync the frequency using the X-plane built in nav1/2 dataref and that means the frequency is well synced, but the two pilots don't hear the sound or see the animation of the other pilot tuning the radio.  This along with the ability to sync the guards for example on the battery, emergency lights, and manual gear extension (to name 3 examples) are places where the developers will probably need to help out the effort by providing the appropriate underlying datarefs.  Once @tkyler and @Morten get a breather perhaps they can help us out. :-)

The biggest remaining issues I see are as follows:

A/ Especially in cruise, we still see (and hear) the elevator trim seeming to fight and conflict, which leads to a sort of continuous stuttering trimming occurring.   Does not impact in flight experience though.  (Perhaps my latest edits to fix my goofs, see item 1 above, and attach config file will help, I don't know, haven't had a chance yet to fly it again with @dr_nerdrage.)

B/ The FMC presents a huge challenge to sync between the two planes because it is a system with memory.   On at least one occasion we have for example it will declare something like "Drag Required" on one system but not on the other.  90+% of the time though it seems to be in sync.   Mostly it seems by making sure we communicate and ensure the scratch pad stays clean and in sync we have no problems though in actual flying.  Yay.   Again @tkyler will be needed to help with making sure the FMC and autopilot modes always stay well synced.  (Btw, hilarity will and did ensue on one flight where we accidentally tried to fly with one pilot using navigraph data and the other using aerosoft data.  The two FMCs happily programmed totally different routes from start to finish.  ha.)

***** For those not interested in these nitty gritty development details, the smartcopilot file here is in immensely great shape and this plane is an absolute joy to fly together with another person, so go out there and fly!   I am really hoping we can create a "virtual airline" of sorts with a fleet of 733's (and dare we include a few 732's and 722's) for us collectively to smartcopilot around the world together! ****

Cheers,

Justin

smartcopilot.cfg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jsnapp said:

Once @tkyler and @Morten get a breather perhaps they can help us out. :-)

Indeed...this is a very rough week schedule wise.  "Graduation time!"  Family, events, etc.   I am about to begin some serious FMS calibration work though, beginning next week....looking to squash bugs and work on missing features and improved LNAV and VNAV.  After that, I'll definitely be interested in evaluating the shared copoilot situations.

-tkyler

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tkyler said:

Indeed...this is a very rough week schedule wise.  "Graduation time!"  Family, events, etc.   I am about to begin some serious FMS calibration work though, beginning next week....looking to squash bugs and work on missing features and improved LNAV and VNAV.  After that, I'll definitely be interested in evaluating the shared copoilot situations.

-tkyler

Totally understand, and absolutely agree that those development efforts should take priority!

@birdy.dma perhaps it is worth revisiting the "nav2 situation" as I read in this thread:  

that in 1.0.3 hotfix the differing logic between Nav1 and Nav2 got fixed.    I still don't fully understand the IXEG representation of radio frequencies with the different truncations of the frequency.  Maybe @tkyler you can give a two sentence explanation of why it is done that way?  But at least now it seems better syncing of the radio and inclusion of the animation might be possible.   I will put it on my todo list for @dr_nerdrage and I to investigate.

Justin

This week, i have no time to work properly about X Plane things.

Some improvements to test in this file  (jsnapp fixes are included).

Fight of wheel trim is fixed.

The 2 spots on the roof, behind the seats are now synchronized.

Axes settings are send from master to slave (Recommended by Morten: 3 left cursors to 0, 3 right cursors to 25%, null zone to 10).

@jsnapp. You are right.about weather. No joy with animation of the radios knobs (speed knob as well).

Claude.

smartcopilot.zip

• Upvote 3

Hi all,

Just using the latest smart-copilot file (1.0.3) and flying right now. Problem being that my weather is fine but, my friends (copilot) isn't syncing fully, only the winds..no clouds. When he goes and disconnects, XP allows him again to use real weather and he gets all of his clouds back, Then when he reconnects, it just goes back to how it was. It seems that the 'master' mode makes the 'slave' mode deactivate real weather on the person who is in slave mode as we did switch between them. He is also experiencing in 'slave' mode a lot of jittering, with a ping of 20ms, which to me that's more than fine. Never seen this before with other shared cockpit aircraft.

Thanks,

ZeeMuffenMan.

25 minutes ago, dr_nerdrage said:

The very apparent jittering is likely caused by the difference in weather. Is he using a weather plugin like NOAA that is still enabled? Are you using the latest version of the smartcopilot cfg?

Like I said, version of the file is the one that says 1.0.3. And like me too, he doesn't have any weather plugin, only FSGRW. 

ZeeMuffenMan

Edited by ZeeMuffenMan

To be clear.

1- Weather is transmitted from Master to Slave. In this case, there is no weather at all for the Slave PC (No X Plane, no NOAA, no FSGRW, no, no, no.......).

2- No weather in the config file. Each X Plane manage his own weather. Of course, in this case, we must have the same weather all along the flight. FSGRW, with same settings for Master and Slave is a possibility, not tested with NOAA (are both sims refreshed simultaneously, or quiet simultaneously as it is with FSGRW?), You can also have the same settings for a static weather in X Plane, etc..

I join, for you, 2 config files, with and without weather. (you already have one of them, don't forget to rename the file you are using).

10 hours ago, ZeeMuffenMan said:

Yes, it is but I mean like no other plugin, such as NOAA.

Thanks,

ZeemuffenMan

Claude

smartco.zip

• Upvote 1

I had the same experience, master and slave synchronised weather of FSGRW from the Master but the clouds did not synchronise. As a result we could not read the same winds but I was visual on final and he was in loud until 400ft above the ground. Can we just remove weather Synchronisation and each person runs their own or actually synchronise it fully from master to slave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, birdy.dma said:

To be clear.

1- Weather is transmitted from Master to Slave. In this case, there is no weather at all for the Slave PC (No X Plane, no NOAA, no FSGRW, no, no, no.......).

2- No weather in the config file. Each X Plane manage his own weather. Of course, in this case, we must have the same weather all along the flight. FSGRW, with same settings for Master and Slave is a possibility, not tested with NOAA (are both sims refreshed simultaneously, or quiet simultaneously as it is with FSGRW?), You can also have the same settings for a static weather in X Plane, etc..

I join, for you, 2 config files, with and without weather. (you already have one of them, don't forget to rename the file you are using).

Claude

smartco.zip

Cheers for the fast replay. Yes, weather syncing is 100% understandable but when it doesn't always work, it can be annoying. Cheers for the files once again!

Thanks,

ZeeMuffenMan. 

PS: the super secret and nowhere to be found secret (did I mention secret?) authorisation code the be used when trying to register on the actual smart coplit forum, is a really good way to keep simpletons like me away ;)

For the life of me, I can't find any secret auth code.