Classic Jet Sims F/A-18 systems simulation plug-in

antti

I know they're interested in porting to Mac eventually ... it's a highly complex plugin that leverages multiple multimedia technologies and various Windows-specific API's, porting to the Mac is a non-trivial task so you'll just have to wait and see what happens. Bugging them won't really help, they know people want it.

ClassicJetSims make highly accurate systems that model all sorts of nuances with the aircraft they target, I believe the F-18 package they made was put together for the US Navy and exceeds anything else available for X-Planes military offerings.

• Downvote 1

ClassicJetSims make highly accurate systems that model all sorts of nuances with the aircraft they target, I believe the F-18 package they made was put together for the US Navy and exceeds anything else available for X-Planes military offerings.

That sounds very promising! Also, I'm not planning on bugging them beyond my initial query. :( In the meanwhile I guess I'm going to have to try it via bootcamp then. I've got the windows package and it may be just too much of a tease to hold off until the mac port sees the light of day. Something to do for my spring break then.

Thanks for the info!

ak

• 4 years later...

I don't want to be a troll or anything annoying like that, but to be honest, even the most accurate simulation of a modern military aircraft has only little to do in the X-Plane world ...

X-Plane is a civilian flight simulator, and the total lack of missions etc would bring such product to a state of boringness in very little time...

There is one software for that, and it's called DCS World. I spent nearly 3 months to get on with the steep learning curve of the A-10C for CAS mission, as I took a while to takes full advantages of the Sukhoï SU-25T back in Flamming Cliffs time ... This is challenging and you really enjoy your time in DCS ... In X-Plane, even the top notch files such awesome Colimata's Mig-29, CJS F-104 etc becomes obsolete very quickly, not because of the product quality but the platform lack of tasks for those aircrafts. I sadly see X-Plane as a great wind tunnel where you can throw whatever you want in it and it react almost like the real thing. Beside that, sadly not much to do, ATC still way out of what I'm used to do in real life ( cross country VFR, traffic patterns etc ... not every PPL can only do IFR Flight Planned flights ... )

Even if some kind of X-Combat plugins finally see the sun, what would be fun in succeeding blowing something in a civilian environment ? We would need Strelas, ZSUs, RWR,AWACS, JTAC and all the stuff that give a military immersion

All that is in DCS World. X-Plane isn't ( and won't ever be a combat sim )

Of course Ben,

But a 70 000 000 USD fighter is not meant to play around a Yacht to see if it will be spotted or not

It is made to operate from an Aircraft Carrier for the naval F/A-18, and to intercept same generation fighters, running CAS missions or high importance tasks like these ...

And this can't be done using some basic radar logic and a Luxury Yacht, I assume ...

If the goal is to spend 15 min setting up the plane, then only climb to 40 000 ft for some " Luxury " cross country flights, then I would call that a waste of skills

I mean .... THIS IS a Combat Simulator :

X-Plane is not, even If I hurt some minds here, it's a fact

I love X-Plane for what it does : simulate how an airframe should behave, with the addition of modern systems in advanced liners for example

War is just another universe

Please feel free to link to some actual air warfare history that's anything remotely like what you describe. There isn't any since Vietnam or possibly Korea. You're talking about Tom Clancy bullshit.

Modern ops is basically "blow up the radars with HARM(?), bomb the shit out of infrastructure with stealth"

It's 99% radar avoidance. 1% story book glory.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Downvote 1

It's evident you don't follow actual news ... Our French Armée de l'Air, Aéronavale and ALAT has been very active lately in Malian African theater, and that wasn't just radar avoidance at all... tell that to those brave crews...

@ tgw : http://www.classicjetsims.com/ From what I see here, no news at all of this F-18. We should see the F-16 and T-33 fitrst, but as I never heard anything from them I would say it won't come before a while. CJS has been focused more on World Traffic lately

I asked him several years back about the F-18 and his comment at the time was on the lines of, "not for consumer use." CJS has been focused on World Traffic but is working on an F-104 update. He had some news on that recently over on the .org. It seems that the F-16 is on a hold for now. 

• 1 year later...

Some were but were not planned for consumer release. At this time it seems that CJS is on a bit of a break. The CF-104 is still awaiting update due to flight dynamics in X-Plane and supersonic cruise modeling. 

It takes a lot of time and money for that combat plugin to come together properly. I would expect CJS to release it out of the blue vs talking about it much if they do. 

Note: I am in now way affiliated with CJS so all of this is my opinion from watching CJS over the past near decade. 

Some were but were not planned for consumer release. At this time it seems that CJS is on a bit of a break. The CF-104 is still awaiting update due to flight dynamics in X-Plane and supersonic cruise modeling. 

It takes a lot of time and money for that combat plugin to come together properly. I would expect CJS to release it out of the blue vs talking about it much if they do. 

Note: I am in now way affiliated with CJS so all of this is my opinion from watching CJS over the past near decade. 

Thanks!