Adding more custom controls

Torbjoern

@Jeremy Carter

Yes, absolutely. 

I'm looking at what others have done in this forum and elsewhere, and it looks promising. Especially the way I'm able to read the aircraft currently running, and applying a specific script based on that. I've tried using a couple of plugins, including the one you recommended I try, and they do work as intended, but an automated approach would be preferable and much easier to migrate if (read: when) I do a fresh reinstall of Windows and X-plane. It also looks to me that I'm finally able to combine multiple commands using FlyWithLua. 

And let's admit it, tinkering with settings is why we got into simulators to begin with. Flicking switches, turning knobs etc, that is where the real fun is. Once we get up to cruising altitude, things get somewhat boring, but smashing our heads against the monitor, trying to figure out why we can't get the hat-switch to increase the overhead panel lights while at the same time dimming the dome-lights is what really X-plane is all about ;) 

I'm certain that a well known 737-captain is probably going to cry himself to sleep when reading this, after spending hours upon hours creating the most impressive flight model ever seen in a simulator, and although landing this beast during a winter storm in Norway is still one heck of an experience, flicking a hardware switch on my throttle, and hearing the relay-"bang" as the generator kicks in, is still one of many things I'll never get bored doing. 

Torbjørn

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Torbjoern said:

And let's admit it, tinkering with settings is why we got into simulators to begin with. Flicking switches, turning knobs etc, that is where the real fun is. Once we get up to cruising altitude, things get somewhat boring, but smashing our heads against the monitor, trying to figure out why we can't get the hat-switch to increase the overhead panel lights while at the same time dimming the dome-lights is what really X-plane is all about ;) 

I'm certain that a well known 737-captain is probably going to cry himself to sleep when reading this, after spending hours upon hours creating the most impressive flight model ever seen in a simulator, and although landing this beast during a winter storm in Norway is still one heck of an experience, flicking a hardware switch on my throttle, and hearing the relay-"bang" as the generator kicks in, is still one of many things I'll never get bored doing. 

Torbjørn

Ha ha, totally with you on this Torbjoern!

Lua seems a step in the right direction though something I'll have to wait to play around with for now: work is getting in the way of the more important things in life!

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Hate to bump an old thread but just wanted to thank you guys for all the info dropped in here....I have been able to map all the custom IXEG data refs to my TM warthog.

Strangely my issue is using the default sim data refs, They work fine when selected in XP11 but when I use the xjoymap binding its a no go. I want to use the xjoymap.ini for each aircraft (placed in each acf folder) so I can always have a unique set for each.

example is this:

Working fine:

[Auto Throttle Toggle]
new_command=Auto Throttle Toggle
dataref=ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_at_arm_act
values = 0,1

Not working

[Thrust Reverse]
new_command=Thrust Reverse
dataref=sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle
values = 0,1

Am I using the wrong sim dataref, I tried others as well all the same result.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stealthbob said:

[Thrust Reverse]
new_command=Thrust Reverse
dataref=sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle
values = 0,1

Am I using the wrong sim dataref, I tried others as well all the same result.

Thanks

Hi

sim/engines/thrust_reverse_toggle  is a command, not a dataref.

I dont know how xjoymap handle that.

• Upvote 1

Hi Stealthbob, 

bump away ;)

For trust reverses, simply map the "button" that is pressed when dragging the TM Throttle over the threshold and set it to "decrease" throttle in X-plane itself. Then when you drag the throttles over the "bump", the trust-reverser should kick in. 

Another way to do it, is by using xjoymap, and then mapping an axis with negative values in that direction, triggered by the same button, but that is way to complicated. 

If this was what you intended to do, I'll post a screenshot during the weekend on how to set it up. 

Suggestions have been made to use flywithlua instead of Xjoymap and this is something I've been thinking about for ages. Simply put, we can use that plugin to define a control-set for all our aircraft, automatically detected and applied, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

After PMDG 747v3 came out I spend all my time in P3D, and all I can say is that it would take some eyebrow windows to change my focus back to X-plane (insert wink-emoji here...)

Thanks @Tom Stian and @Torbjoern...

I suspect I am not communicating properly or I don't have a proper understanding of how this all works. Let me describe what I am ultimately trying to accomplish and why.

I use a Thrust Master WartHog and want to fully leverage the buttons. For the most part I can map everything but struggle with the variations in aircraft types. I found xassign and that pretty much fixed everything...with exception to the custom commands for certain aircraft ie: the IXEG.

I found xjoymap to be a strong app to do all the custom commands, have them all working as required.  At issue is I am unable to get the mapping to work for the XP11 default commands (all of them) in xjoymap. For me to bind a non custom command I would have to use the XP11 commands, which is fine for one aircraft but I wanted unique maps for each aircraft.

So the reverser is just one aspect but the end goal is to be able to map all the commands (custom and XP11) through xjoymap and have a each aircraft with its own unique setup as I could with xassign in XP10.

Could you show me an example of how you would write the xmjoymap lines using the xp11 "sim/xxxx/xxxx_xxxx_toggle" commands?

Again thanks....

-Bob

• Upvote 1

Hmm, not sure on how to do this. Haven't tried xassign yet, but from what I read in this forum and other, people with way more experience than myself, highly recommend Flywithlua for reason stated above. In this thread you can also see some basic examples on what other people did. 

From the examples I've seen so far, it's high-level and really easy to understand structure, but I haven't had the time to look at it yet, but that would be the direction to take. Flywithlua is something that is used for many things (not sure on exactly "how" many things in XP11), but I suspect that trying that stuff out would not be a waste of time. 

If you do however find out how to do it, and especially how to create commands that use multiple datareferences at the same time (i.e. strobe and landing lights with the flick of one switch), please share :)