The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

Emalice, move to England. I work in the Emergency Department (UK equivalent to ER) - treatment is free, even to foreign nationals. Downside is, for minor injuries, waiting time before seeing a doctor typically is about three hours and can be as long as eight - I don't know how that compares to private emergency treatment!

Emalice, move to England. I work in the Emergency Department (UK equivalent to ER) - treatment is free, even to foreign nationals. Downside is, for minor injuries, waiting time before seeing a doctor typically is about three hours and can be as long as eight - I don't know how that compares to private emergency treatment!

Thanks for the offer. I had that incomparable British experience once, a long time ago, after i deeply cut both hands on broken glass. I don't know if it was because of all the blood dripping on to the floor but I was admitted pretty fast (only one hour if I remember correctly).

Anyway, even though I now live in the US I am French, so I already know a lot about the seat-here-for-5-hours-while-you-suffer-but-hey-it's-free. I remember this placard they had in waiting rooms some years ago : the slogan said : "you are waiting because while you are in here we are at the massage salon", below that you had a photo of a guy performing PCR, best known in France by the name of cardiac massage.

Humour is almost always the best way to prove your point :-)

E.

Edited by Emalice

We should have signs up saying "You are waiting here because there's three people ahead of you who came in because they stubbed their toes and the doctor is seeing them first"... but this is going majorly off-topic...

Oh wait, no it's not, we're discussing your reaction to the autoland video. I'm sorely tempted to become That Guy and start demanding hourly status updates from the IXEG team :D

I know what you mean, I had to restrain myself, this whole last week, from asking hourly status updates from Tom Kyler. I guess we all become That Guy at some point or another :D

E.

p.s. You should not joke about those things, you know, a stubbed toe is a very serious condition. In a manner similar to the so-called butterfly effect, a stubbed toe in Europe can result in an epidemic of explosive gaseous gangrene in Australia. Thanks to your good doctors, Kylie Minogue is still around :)

Oh, wait..... :blink:

Edited by Emalice

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a four-year-old thread where Morten was lamenting the sorry state of X-Plane's ground model and its bizarre behaviour, and the prospects of overruling it with a plugin. Are things better now, or does the IXEG737 have custom ground modelling (tyre friction modelling etc)?

Yes, we use a plugin to improve the ground model. Especially in steep turns and asymmetric thrust situations you'll notice this.

A lot can also be done to improve ground handling with conventional methods. Most XP aircraft could be far better

with a bit of tuning and the use of custom gear spring constants etc. This is especially important in crosswind conditions

where a lot of aircraft get more or less useless. With the 737 you'll find that 30kt crosswind is a non-event with a bit of practice.

In other words, with this aircraft you'll finally start enjoying realweather a lot more because she mostly can handle it.

Now when I get bored, I enable realweather then look at todays SIGWX charts and hunt for low pressure systems europe - great fun :)

M

Edited by Morten XPFW
  • Upvote 2

I added a couple of overview shots from the overhead to the IXEG gallery (bottom two). As most of the shots they are 100% unedited in-sim v9.

If you right-click them you can get even higher res. 90% of what you see is done and fully functional.

Note the switch guards are back in and fully functional and animated.

At the moment we are doing final tests on the hydraulics - which we also are simulating to an extreme.

More details on that will follow in a blog. Other than that, we are working on the 3D and texturing, FMS etc etc.

http://ixeg.net/gallery

OK, back to practicing approaches with full loss of hydraulics :ph34r:

M

• Upvote 1

I added a couple of overview shots from the overhead to the IXEG gallery (bottom two). As most of the shots they are 100% unedited in-sim v9.

If you right-click them you can get even higher res. 90% of what you see is done and fully functional.

Note the switch guards are back in and fully functional and animated.

At the moment we are doing final tests on the hydraulics - which we also are simulating to an extreme.

More details on that will follow in a blog. Other than that, we are working on the 3D and texturing, FMS etc etc.

http://ixeg.net/gallery

OK, back to practicing approaches with full loss of hydraulics :ph34r:

M

You can't fool me Morten, putting in real screenshots in your gallery like that!!! Lol! Lol!

Seriously guys, this is looking incredible. Can't wait to see what the whole VC cockpit looks like with all the elements together. Looking forward to see what you have done with the exterior of the aircraft as well.

Thanks for the update.

Rhydian

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive detail, even for the nose wheel. I'm just curious, even though I understand that the 737 classic will be released for XP9 first, will the recent update for XP10 and the next major patch bringing a texture size limit increase to 4096 x 4096:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2012/03/conditionals-shadows-big-textures-etc/

Will this allow for more detail (texture wise) within XP10? From what I have seen so far the rendered images on your blog and the pictures in the sim (I assume in XP9) have looked near identical already. Will the increase in texture size limit benefit you as aircraft addon developers or is this mostly to do with scenery designers?

I hope that question(s) makes sense!

Thanks

Rhydian

Rhydian,

What mainly limits texture detail in an aircraft is the necessity to keep VRAM consumtion tolerable for the target range of hardware setups.

The ability to use 4096x4096 size textures may allow for slightly more efficient texture layouts (fewer textures for the video card to switch between)

but it does not change the artistic possibilities much.

M

Rhydian,

What mainly limits texture detail in an aircraft is the necessity to keep VRAM consumtion tolerable for the target range of hardware setups.

The ability to use 4096x4096 size textures may allow for slightly more efficient texture layouts (fewer textures for the video card to switch between)

but it does not change the artistic possibilities much.

M

Ahh I see, so that's how it works. Thanks for the explanation Morten.

Rhydian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, just wanted to add a video (sorry it's in Greek!) from a briefing and pre-flight check of a 737-400 of Olympic Airlines. I think that even if you don't understand the language it's interesting to get a look around the cockpit and briefing (some good camera work following the pilots hand around the panels), and probably if you know the procedures you'll understand what is happening. Anyways, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/469aGPxSLGU

Edited by ktomais

Thanks for the nice video! It is really well made, I like the long distance-shot of the landing in the beginning especially.

It also brought back the feelings of fear and anxiety I used to have when flying the 737 to Thessaloniki and Athens in the late 90´s.... Controllers without radar (because pay is better if you don´t have radar!), chaotic operation at airports that were plagued by inadequate facilities, high terrain, changing weather, rampant strikes - ah the good, old days ;-)

Video´s like this will be very interesting for owners of our (or any well-made 737 classic, for that matter) 737-300 and the stuff you see you can also do in ours :-)

Regards, Jan