The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

Friendliest forum in the world!  :)  Thanks all very much, best get back to that CBT of the 300 ive got  :)

Rich

Yeah welcome Rich and good luck! Cameron is right (as always), get used to v9 as the interface is very different, but easy once u get your head around it. You can configure your keymapping to msfs style if u want.

It's no comparison, but the x737 by EADT is very good for freeware and there are plenty of complex planes out there to practice SIDS and STARS, now. you'll find the flight model SLIGHTLY different too  ;D

Jan, thanks for the update on the 737!  It sounds like it will be a complex simulation when finished.

Well, that´s where all the fun is, right? And to tell you the truth, it is one thing to learn the systems enough to use them proficiently. It is a whole other ballgame to understand them deeply enough to model them correctly! I am learning lots more about the bird I love to fly during the process of "putting it into X-Plane", and it really makes you appreciate all the experience, thought and work that went into making a complex machinery like this.

The team is asking me countless questions that I am simply not able to answer without checking in the real aircraft. Imagine yourself sitting at the dinner table and someone asks you in which order and position are the indicator and warning lights in your car? When does the battery symbol light up? When does it extinguish? After how many seconds does the "not buckled up" chime start? A lot of things we take for granted, but don´t really think about them until we have to. Of course I have my manuals to check in, but lot´s of details are not in there. How many "clicks" is one full revolution of the course selector?

Anyway, the 733 is a very complex piece of machinery. It might be old and lacks the computer flight-law logic of modern Airbus designs (thank god  :) ), but even just understanding the electric system fully WILL get your head smoking plenty.

Yes, we have set our date of completion tentatively for end of 2011 - but don´t worry, quality > deadline.

I agree with Cameron, if you are thinking about getting XP10, you might as well check out XP9 at the current low price, quite a bargain for the months of fun to be had with it before XP10 ships. If at all unsure, go and download the demo at no cost and no risk. Yes, some things are different from MSFS, but some things are still the same (push -> big houses, pull -> small houses)

Anyway, the 733 is a very complex piece of machinery. It might be old and lacks the computer flight-law logic of modern Airbus designs (thank god  :) ), but even just understanding the electric system fully WILL get your head smoking plenty.

The 737 is the gold standard of flight simulation.  I don't think you can find a single individual who hasn't flown on this glorious bird.  I remember as a small child my two favorite books were on how they built the 747 and the 737.  You've got the whole flight sim community awaiting your rendition of this beauty, give it your best!

The 737 is the gold standard of flight simulation.  I don't think you can find a single individual who hasn't flown on this glorious bird.

First plane I was on was a -300 circa 1986.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

just a quick update on our project. Work continues as planned on multiple fronts. The 3D cockpit shell is in place, and the instrument panel, control stand with center pedestal and overhead panel have settled into their final position.

We have fine-tuned the default camera position to match what I am seeing in the real cockpit, and it is just so cool to see how things line up just the way I am used to!

The EADI is shaping up very nicely, we did a lot of work on it recently. Expect to see correct speed tapes and bands for placard speeds, maneuvering speeds,high-altitude buffet limit, trend vectors, "green dot", stickshaker band, "eyebrows", everything moving correctly according to weight, AOA, altitude and so on.

The prototype is already a joy to fly manually with this accurate instrument that gives me all the functionality I am used to. Check the weight, set the correct N1, fly the correct pitch and watch her settle into the desired profile.  :)

The overhead panel´s shape is complete, with special care taken to have accurate switch-sockets, too. The sockets are actually quite different, dependent on functionality of the corresponding switch. Some are simple "two-position" switches, like the inboard landing lights. Outboard landing lights have three positions (off, extend, on). Generator breakers are also three-position, but toggle-type, springloaded to off. Others are also three-position, but have to be pulled out a bit before they can be moved... Well, you get the idea  :D . Texturing on the overhead panel continues, with the same artistic care that can already be seen on the preview shots, I think we will have another preview showing the overhead for you, soon.

So lots going on behind the scenes, but I can tell you that I never fully realized before how much thought and attention to detail has gone into the construction of this aircraft!

Jan

What are system requirements for your model? Please give  screenshots of visual model and what FPS on your computer?

I think this is a bit to soon to be asking that. they will only know the final numbers nearing release. From my experience though, since the classic uses mostly mechanical gauges, this plane should run ok on most hardware. Just because the visuals look absolutely stunning doesn't mean it will be an FPS hog.

That's rather stunning Morton! I especially like the scrolling LED readouts on the engine gauges. Can I ask how that's done - is it a sliding image of LED-matrix numbers, or does each individual LED appear to stay static and just switch on or off as appropriate?

Morton, will you do a website to introduce the product and your team?

Yes, the site is under construction.  Nothing there yet but the URL is;

http://www.ixeg.net/

I especially like the scrolling LED readouts on the engine gauges. Can I ask how that's done

Thanks for noticing the details.  We have put great effort into details like this to make the instruments

work just like in real.  the digits are animated in a way that creates the appearance of little LED pixels that go on and off.

Same effort has gone into the rolling digit's like the altimeter to make the numbers shift exactly like real.

So even experienced in-type pilots will have a hard time finding inconsistency's in our instruments

Small video clip of the ECAM in sim.

ECAM video

I especially like the scrolling LED readouts on the engine gauges. Can I ask how that's done

Thanks for noticing the details.  We have put great effort into details like this to make the instruments

work just like in real.  the digits are animated in a way that creates the appearance of little LED pixels that go on and off.

Same effort has gone into the rolling digit's like the altimeter to make the numbers shift exactly like real.

So even experienced in-type pilots will have a hard time finding inconsistency's in our instruments

Small video clip of the ECAM in sim.

ECAM video

Oh my goodness that's very impressive. I love that kind of very close attention to detail! This aircraft will be bringing many people to X-Plane when it is released!

The visual model is still under construction - so nothing much to see there, yet.

Giving details of hardware specs to compare framerates is futile, in my opinion. To really make a valid comparison you need to only the hardware, but also the hardware settings, the rendering options, environmental conditions, the very EXACT same position and view angle (plus zoom, field of view, etc) Probably also moon-phase, local gravity constant and astrological sign of user and some other factors, too  ;)

Just as an example - without changing any rendering options I get between 45 and 120 fps in our cockpit, depending on where I fly and where I point the view.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

We are very happy with the result - and - as your link suggests, polytext has it's downsides.

But thanks for coming with suggestions :)

M

What downsides have you found? My main guess are two things, polycount plus that you need AA on if you really want to see it clearly. But it will always be clear with AA on. It will also always look clean, which can be a downside as well.

The way you seem to be doing it now, with a separate texture i am guessing, may actually be very good as well. Depending on how much text you have. But that is another texture that needs to load.

Right now i am trying to find out what will work best down the road for me.