The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

We should be providing some in flight exterior screenshots in the upcoming weeks.

Tom K

Hi! How is the project coming along? I'm checking both this and x-plane.org forums every day in hope to find a new screenshot/progress reports/you name it but it has been a bit too quiet lately so I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you!

Well we have made some good progress and came close to getting the exterior ready for screenshots, but not quite.  One of our team members has had their first child recently and so is doing a lot of baby duty.   We have the wings modeled, animated, UV mapped and an initial texture on it.  We have to "dirty it up" and then texture the engines and we'll be doing external screenshots after that.  I am UV unwrapping the engines today and this week so we are getting close.  Modeling and animating the wings, engine reversers and flap structures was a big job and the reason for the "quietness" while that got completed but that is done and the results are really nice we think.  so hopefully we'll have those external screenshots soon.  

Tom K

• Upvote 2

Hi Tom. Good to hear the project is moving along nicely.

In the fantastic latest ixeg movie Jan says at the end that the version is in alpha.

I havent seen any autopilot / vnav /lnav functionality? If i recall you said earlier that it generated lots of bugs at first when you put all the autopilot navigatin pieces together. Is this sorted out allready?

Do you have anymore big systems that not is complete? Is it "just" the external and 3d modeling

If you plan to make any more videos i vote for some nav videos to view some of the autopilot/nav features. :)

One more question, when this baby comes out i am also buying new ram (12gb) and a new gfx card. I am thinking of an used gtx560. Do you think i will get good fps with your aircraft in moderete settings?

What gfxcard do you have?

Do you have anymore big systems that not is complete? Is it "just" the external and 3d modeling

no more big systems; however, we do still have some work to do on the vnav.  I'd describe it more as that point when say...building a bridge from opposite sides you have to meet in the middle and get it all connected.  The bulk of the mass is there...we just kind of slow down, hook it all up and make sure it's right.  The lnav tracking is working great....you can hit lnav right off the deck and it will fly you to your destination, following the route beautifully.   There are a few small systems laying around, but nothing like all the big pieces we have already done.  We are setting aside vnav for the moment to focus on the 3D. Texture the engines, animate the main gear, build rear of cocpkpit and then cabin and texture it all up.  After that, we will start tying it all together and hitting the final stretch.

I don't think you will have problem at all with your card.  I am running an i3 with 512 video card and I get about 30fps, BUT I don't run with much scenery either.  If I crank it all up, things get slow.  I've run it on Cameron's machine...an imac with 2gb video card and i7 processor and you can just turn everything up and it runs great.  Anything new should be fine I'd think...my video card is over 2 years old.

When we get everything working, I think we'll probably do a complete flight video...perhaps time-lapsed to speed things up, but we would like to demonstrate a cold and dark startup and flight...at least through takeoff and maybe part of a SID.

TomK

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

Out of interest is D-ABXX the registration that Jan flies?

Rhydian

I used to fly all 737´s that we have, so not limited to a certain registration. Also note that the real D-ABXX carries the name "Bad Homburg v.d.Höhe" - while this one has the name of my hometown. It´s more of a working livery to keep me amused ;-).

I used to fly all 737´s that we have, so not limited to a certain registration. Also note that the real D-ABXX carries the name "Bad Homburg v.d.Höhe" - while this one has the name of my hometown. It´s more of a working livery to keep me amused ;-).

Thanks for the info Jan, that's fantatsic.

Found these images on airliners.net the resemblence is incredible. You guys have done a sterling job on the textures.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufthansa/Boeing-737-330/1107253/L/&sid=0bf2e4b3882cccc44c74cd331d6c655f

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufthansa/Boeing-737-330/1339838/L/&sid=0bf2e4b3882cccc44c74cd331d6c655f

Rhydian.

It's a shame they painted over the eyebrow windows - one of my favourite things about the 737 Classic, as it gives it "character". :)

I totally agree with you, I enjoyed having the windows there. But the airlines did a survey on their necessity, and the verdict is that they aren´t as useful nowadays as they were back then when airliners still did more low circling approaches and had to rely on spotting other traffic more than today.

So they decided to fill these windows with "plugs", thereby removing the need for maintenance on them and saving quite a bit of money in the process. There are nowadays no 737s in use at Lufthansa that still have those windows.

Jan

• Upvote 1