Oh noes! No linux

TseTse

Hi,

This is not a complaint. I just the need to open up to somebody.

I have given up on Windows. Being programmer I found that Linux is so much better suited to that than Windows. Plus having basically a huge spyware on my computer is not exactly tempting.

I have been flightsimmer since Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.1 and I was a bit sad to let all that simming go until I realised that X-Plane works on Linux. I was however missing all the very high quality add ons available for Microsoft Flight Simulator such as PMDG.

When I heard about IGEX I got excited. Finally a nice high quality plane for X-Plane...until I learnt that this brilliant add on is not going to work on Linux.

Now I am basically considering installing Windows next to my Linux just so I can use this add on. Only thing what keeps me doing it is the fact it's such an hassle to do it this way. Linux first and Windows last. But the temptation I think is too great.

First world problems. :)

• Upvote 2

How about you give me a few months to recoup my investment of time, energy and the rest that went into this thing?

The code builds, it just takes time and energy that is needed elsewhere to make this viable.

That said.

Even if I do publish a Linux plugin in future you will still be faced with the fact that X-Aviation only publishes Installers for Mac and Windows.

In theory you will be able to install on the other OS and move the folder around. This is a trivial task by Linux admin standards.

Hopefully in the future I will be able to justify the cost of a dedicated custom built PC rig that will be more suited to Linux and Windows.

At the moment the only machine I have with any power is an iMac and the sound drivers break in Linux.

Be nice, please. And we'll try not to make _this_ thread get hostile.

Deal?

• Upvote 1

Hello Ben,

I use Windows OS myself, I can see where you are coming from re: costs and user-base. I was just curious - nothing more than that as to what made MacOS different than Linux. A purely academic point - nothing more. 

If you really want a nice aircraft on Linux I would recommend the FlightFactor 767, it is a very nice aircraft. I run X-Plane on Windows mainly because TrackIR does not support Linux, though you can use other software using the TrackIR hardware, but it is not as smooth as TrackIR on Windows, which makes it irritating.

1 minute ago, judeb said:

Hello Ben,

I use Windows OS myself, I can see where you are coming from re: costs and user-base. I was just curious - nothing more than that as to what made MacOS different than Linux. A purely academic point - nothing more. 

My post is not directed at you Jude.

It's a general plea.

Sorry for the confusion.

42 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

How about you give me a few months to recoup my investment of time, energy and the rest that went into this thing?

The code builds, it just takes time and energy that is needed elsewhere to make this viable.

That said.

Even if I do publish a Linux plugin in future you will still be faced with the fact that X-Aviation only publishes Installers for Mac and Windows.

In theory you will be able to install on the other OS and move the folder around. This is a trivial task by Linux admin standards.

Hopefully in the future I will be able to justify the cost of a dedicated custom built PC rig that will be more suited to Linux and Windows.

At the moment the only machine I have with any power is an iMac and the sound drivers break in Linux.

Be nice, please. And we'll try not to make _this_ thread get hostile.

Deal?

Absolutely Ben. :)

Take your time. It has been nothing but hard work from you guys the last couple of years. Also the next few months are going to be crucial from the support point of view. The fact that you even consider porting it to Linux is great news for us. We don't mind waiting.

Sanjiv

• Upvote 1

Hi Ben,

it would be great if you do that.

Of course the windows installer won't be such an issue. I was even thinking that a virtual machine windows can be used for that. I use virtualbox win10 frequently for the sake of pfpx, vatspy and fs global real weather and my xplane folder is visible and writable from the virtual machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I have been using GNU/Linux for 15 years now for work duties and at work, where MS Windows is virtually never installed.

XP11 is running perfectly on GNU/Linux with NVIDIA GPU.

I was still using Windows only for flight simulation but since I removed P3D last year, the future enlighted (the ability to remove a system from my machine).

But, I loose IXEG because of Gizmo so far :-(

That's sad the most accurate 737 on XP11 is not available in GNU/Linux.

Still between having to maintain MS Windows 10 and all kind of forced and risky updates and having IXEG (Gizmo), the balance is toward dropping Windows.

Edited by XPJavelin

4 hours ago, XPJavelin said:

Hi,

I have been using GNU/Linux for 15 years now for work duties and at work, where MS Windows is virtually never installed.

XP11 is running perfectly on GNU/Linux with NVIDIA GPU.

I was still using Windows only for flight simulation but since I removed P3D last year, the future enlighted (the ability to remove a system from my machine).

But, I loose IXEG because of Gizmo so far :-(

That's sad the most accurate 737 on XP11 is not available in GNU/Linux.

Still between having to maintain MS Windows 10 and all kind of forced and risky updates and having IXEG (Gizmo), the balance is toward dropping Windows.

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

1.14% of the market at time of writing.

• 9 months later...

I tried to dig into my oldest external drives backup and I did backup older versions of the aircraft, but not enough old unfortunately to find a gizmo for linux... Another failed attempt. Regularly I try, with some false new hope.

Sometimes I fire up the plane on ground only to look at this beauty, then move on to another plane, always with some sadness. :-) 2133391491_B733-2020-11-0111_51_26.thumb.png.107f1ec2cf2104e9621ef6d6972c3e8e.png