After SMP 3.1 update no more able to quit XPlane

Lucky67

Simply stated: for any airport and for any loaded aircraft (so it is not somethinhg related to being out of memory) now I cannot quit anymore XPlane, it simply hangs without errors as it can't unload when I quit the session.

With SMP 3.0 everything was and is abolutely fine.

In a last desperate attempt I removed (i.e., I moved somewhere else) every other single plugin and left just SMP and Gizmo: it led nowhere, same behavior.

I can't even disable SMP 3.1 in the plugin manager, the session hangs there.

I won't mention that SMP 3.1 with its default configuration is an incredible framekiller, even at KSEA and with default Cessna 172 the only workaround is to lower significantly the first two sliders, now what I want to fix is this severe issue for I cannot even exit cleanly XPlane.

I would appreciate any kind of help to shed light on this.

Log.txt

As I mentioned above there's no possible issue related to low memory.

My rig is based on an i7-5930k, Asus X99Deluxe MOBO, Asus GTX970 4GB VRAM (driver 364.72) and 16 GB DDR4 Corsair RAM: all in all a very robust system I am very pleased with.

For instance, with the default Cessna 172 and KSEA scenary with SMP3.1 set at its defaults and my favuorite rendering options it reports 1799 MB of video and 9200 of system RAM.

Even in this case the XPlane session hangs when quitting, no error in the log to investigate further.

As another example with the latest FF 767 and the payware EGCC the load leaves available 650 MB of  VRAM (we are somehow close to the infamous 3.5 limit of the 970, the last 500 MB are to be avoided to keep good performances) and 8900 MB of system RAM

As I already said any aircraft/scenary combination does not matter, XP always hangs when quitting.

Instead everything works fine with previous 3.0, with lot of active plugins and any demanding or basic scenary, and so at last I downgraded to that version (I love to sim-fly, not to debug sw).

However I am very disappointed that I won't be able to install, when available, the new weather connector since SMP3.1 is a requirement. Now I know how to get good performances (some tweaking) and recognized that some nice enhancement has been implemented but no way to quit a session.

I fear there is nothing I can do.

For what it's worth, you are literally the only person I've heard of this happening to, out of thousands of people using SMP 3.1. So whatever is causing X-Plane to hang at shutdown for you is something really unusual.

It might be a good idea to install a fresh copy of X-Plane into a new directory, install SMP 3.1, confirm things are OK, and start adding other scenery + addons from there.

Few things you can try:

- disable mesh v3 and test. it might be a broken file and need to download again.

- go to aircraft and situations and download extra aircraft to 1 or change the current ones.

- the driver version, doesn't mean that it's the best, an old one could work better. So you can try other versions (uninstall it properly and do clean install)

- exclude X-Plane path from your antivirus or any security software.

- Uninstall SMP 3.1 , re-download and install it again.

- Scenery proper order:  https://goo.gl/2fBuRj

btw, I have a similar pc and have no problems. Had a similar situation, no matter what aircraft I used and could barely move and couldn't quit. it was a bad mesh file on my side.

Good luck.

Edited by Celis

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

Except for starting from scratch with a vanilla installation I tried all the above, even installing a previous driver (361.91, random choice in the nvidia repository) didin't fix that. Scenaries, libraries and meshes are ok, order just what expected and proper, and if they weren't I wouldn't understand why 3.0 is absolutely fine.

Excluding HD mesh v3 and extra AI traffic didn't help.

My Avast AV is ok too but just out of curiosity it does not interfere, even disabling it XP 10 does not quit with SMP 3.1 installed.

I think I'll stay with 3.0, a few seconds to downgrade to it and my X10 flies again!

When I'll find more time I'll give a try with a fresh install.

Thanks again for helping me.

Just to let you know, at last I found out what was in conlict wih XP10, but just with SMP3.1.x installed.

XP can't unload and you have to kill the process to quit if the MSI Afterburner (used to slightly overclock my GPU and VRAM clocks) and its RivaTuner Statistics Server (very nice and useful tool, used to monitor in real time OSD the RAM. GPU mem. availability and so on) are concurrently running; the only way it works is to unload MSI Afterburner before launching XP.

However everything used to work fine with SMP3.0, even with MSI afterburner and its OSD running.

Though strongly disinclined, I will give up using MSI Afterburner in my XP sessions (overclocking the 970 GPU in XP10 is not so helpful, at the most I gain a very few more fps in XP).

It will be fine if developers are willing to investigate if there is such a conflict between SMP3.1.x and MSI Afterburner (in my case it does exist and replicate).

Edited by Lucky67
One more ...

I forgot to tell you that indeed the latest 3.1.1 is simply great, even at its default settings it runs smooth but to gain even more fps I slighlty lowered the first and the last sliders. Going to puchase the weather connector add-on right now, looking forward to flying among a realistic weather!

Just to let you know, at last I found out what was in conlict wih XP10, but just with SMP3.1.x installed.

XP can't unload and you have to kill the process to quit if the MSI Afterburner (used to slightly overclock my GPU and VRAM clocks) and its RivaTuner Statistics Server (very nice and useful tool, used to monitor in real time OSD the RAM. GPU mem. availability and so on) are concurrently running; the only way it works is to unload MSI Afterburner before launching XP.

However everything used to work fine with SMP3.0, even with MSI afterburner and its OSD running.

Though strongly disinclined, I will give up using MSI Afterburner in my XP sessions (overclocking the 970 GPU in XP10 is not so helpful, at the most I gain a very few more fps in XP).

It will be fine if developers are willing to investigate if there is such a conflict between SMP3.1.x and MSI Afterburner (in my case it does exist and replicate).

Funny I just started having this issue, I will try and disable Precision X while running XP as well as RTSS. Like you I don't OC my GPU when using XP as it doesn't like it.