I require the FMC should be replaced.

Vantskruv

When you fly oversea, and Mr. Kyler:s FMC fails, this should be used instead:

http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files/fa209f26b0321f2de7499e6f2c846588-101.html

(Periscopic Sextant)

Hereby I state that I refuse to buy this airplane if above function is not implemented. Mr. Kyler should scrap the FMC and release the airplane with this tool. Those who agree, please vote by agreeing in this thread. The other people who do not understand the magnitude of importance for this, state the reason why you not concede.

Mr Kyler, I demand you to release the airplane now without the FMC.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 12

Hehe, guys, I hope everyone realizes that this thread is ment to be just a fun diversion - no need to give Vantskruv bad rep!

Anyway, I am intrigued by the early use of astronomical data for navigation, and I recommend the book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel - a great read about the problems that early navigators faced.

Of course you would have to be a very adept user of a sextant to navigate your way through a typical Italian SID, plus have clear skies :lol:.

I think the 707´s and some military planes used to have that skyport necessary for that?

Jan

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Litjan said:
1 hour ago, birdy.dma said:

Some years ago (something like 50 years), i was in a DC4, and remenber the navigator on a stool, his head and his sextan in the dome.

No door between the cockpit and the cabin.

Happy days!

Those domes really add character to those old pistonpounders.  But I'm not sure if it would suit the 737 that well ;)

3496605207_d8d8a18b00_b.jpg

Img from flickr

Edited by LPNils
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, birdy.dma said:

Thanks for your link, there is something with navigation that calls to me, and I never thought of buying me a sextant myself! You made that inclination, and they are beautiful looking at, and they are also practical. A new obsession will form, but probably it will ebb out just like the feelings you have at this time of year. Spring is dangerous for your mental mind.

As a sailor most of my life I'm used to back-to-basic map navigation and primitive equipment at speeds of 5-10 kts which is a big enough challenge in bad weather, poor visibility and complex waters .  I have huge admiration for pilots who did this in hundreds of knots in similar conditions.  Now you can just punch everything into your routing software or FMS in advance and just monitor.  LNAV and VNAV is for cowards... ;) (but probably has saved many thousands of lives)

• Upvote 4