IXEG 737 Progress Update - January 30th

tkyler

43 minutes ago, jonathan said:

I mean who wouldn't?

There was an update on another post not too long ago. Basically this is what's happening. They are testing the vnav right now and fixing any bugs that show up. They are testing crazy outcomes such as 2 missed approaches and 1 diversion with a missed approach there and coming back and switching the ils last second. Conclusion of the update, fms didn't crash after all of that, vnav calculations got a bit off. Normal use of vnav works quite well.  

From now on, it's just waiting until closed beta. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jonathan said:

Yidahoo I'm sure you'd love an update too

I read the forum daily. I see the updates when they are made and look forward to the new ones when they are posted. I also know that when IXEG are ready to give us a new update, they will.

1 hour ago, Yidahoo said:

I read the forum daily. I see the updates when they are made and look forward to the new ones when they are posted. I also know that when IXEG are ready to give us a new update, they will.

Cool, so you would like an update too. I read this forum every day and see people constantly asking for updates; I also see the IXEG guys and others asking people to wait or stop asking for updates. If I were them I would be over the moon that people are asking and would be sad to see excited fans being shot down for their enthusiasm.

I know IXEG do give updates to many of the requests here within a thread, I'm not saying they don't update enough. The problem is that everyone doesn't have time or can't possibly ready every post in every thread for an update. So when someone asks for feedback and IXEG responds or when a team member takes 5 minutes out to discuss a bug or scenario, can I suggest a new thread is always created so that it is easy to find and accessible to people who jump in and out of these forums?

Lets say for example I asked for feedback in this comment right now: someone from IXEG might respond below saying "Yep I have an update today and here it is at this new thread" or they or anyone could easily and politely respond "no update today but here's the last update".

I think this would be much easier than people joking and moaning because someones missed a 8th March update 10 pages down a 11 page thread titled "Progress Update - 1st December".

Edited by jonathan
Had more to say
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, jonathan said:

So when someone asks for feedback or someone at IXEG writes something that is essentially an update, why not start a new thread with the date in the title so that the update can be found quickly and easily?

Did you read the title of this thread and others in this forum? This really is a pointless conversation, my contribution to it will end here

Edited by Yidahoo
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Yidahoo said:

Did you read the title of this thread and others in this forum? This really is a pointless conversation, my contribution to it will end here

I did, 30th of January progress update; sorry I was probably updating my post a little more when you sent this. I added about the fact that we've had many updates as comments since 30th January but they are hidden within threads and it would take anyway a lot of pain by abstracting them out into new thread. EG the last update on 8th March.

Edited by jonathan

Wow. Jeez, people. I brought up a point, I wasn't spouting nonsense like the type of comment the downvote button is meant for. You could have simply discussed instead of downvoting. That's just plain rude.

Edited by -VETTE
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Well, part of the blame is on us - we start an official "progress update" thread, then post more snippets of "updates" in replies to questions and comments. So sometimes the latest "piece of news" from us is not in the latest "progress update" thread, and it can become a bit confusing.

I was thinking about doing regular reports, but these would get a bit repetitive on the edge of silly if we go "this last week we worked on the FMS... AGAIN... :P"

Jan

• Upvote 1

Do you guys (IXEG) do a daily/weekly/etc SCRUM? You could just record those with an iPhone (video or audio), and post on your blog if you wanted a better way of showing your progress/updates to potential customers :)  I think blog posts are better for "updates" because then they have their own comment thread per video/post for questions and ongoing discussion.

Waiting patiently for this plane. Looks really bad-ace.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zfrankdesign said:

Do you guys (IXEG) do a daily/weekly/etc SCRUM? You could just record those with an iPhone (video or audio), and post on your blog if you wanted a better way of showing your progress/updates to potential customers :)  I think blog posts are better for "updates" because then they have their own comment thread per video/post for questions and ongoing discussion.

Waiting patiently for this plane. Looks really bad-ace.

While that's a great idea, I would have to agree with @Litjan on the fact that there are simply no significant updates. The work I believe is going on now is highly technical and is best shown in the irregular posts they've been doing.

Regards,

K

47 minutes ago, cod360 said:

While that's a great idea, I would have to agree with @Litjan on the fact that there are simply no significant updates. The work I believe is going on now is highly technical and is best shown in the irregular posts they've been doing.

Regards,

K

Keen to hear more technical updates if IXEG are willing to discuss.

8 hours ago, -VETTE said:

@Cameron could you close this thread? I really don't see any point in continuing it, as it's all pointless arguments and no relevant discussion.

EDIT: Why all the hate for this? It simply doesn't make sense to me why we would keep open a topic full of arguments.

First post is always most important, rest is discussion and venting. That is what forums is for. There is no hate and there is no need to close any thread. Let people discuss, even if it may not be constructive, there is nothing wrong with that.

For those people asking for more updates, IXEG is certainly workning hard to get their airplane to their standards, and we cannot speed up the process. It is fun with progress updates, but this is mostly for keeping up the interest and being kind revealing the dev process I guess. While waiting, calm down, don't overhype, and keep on flying with your current favourite airplanes, do not let the desire take over, it is dangerous. ;)

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, -VETTE said:

I brought up a point, I wasn't spouting nonsense like the type of comment the downvote button is meant for. You could have simply discussed instead of downvoting.

If the thread is closed like you voted for, there is no room for discussion.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

All work and no play soon leads to the grinding halt known as burn out.

6 minutes ago, frumpy said:

Exactly right. While technically reading forums and posting stuff takes time (that could be used for development) it doesn´t work like that. Even coders are human beings that have other needs and desires besides coding :P. And if you neglect those other needs (like breathing, eating, OR partaking in forum discussions), productivity suffers. Here is my favourite example:

ballmer_peak.png.8a818d47f4902acecdb6a76

I know the whole team enjoys the discussions (mostly) and even getting annoyed is sometimes helpful as it masks the pain of coding an FMS...

Jan

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, frumpy said:

That's not the point. If you disagree, you can discuss. There's a difference between an argument and a discussion. It makes me sad to see all the arguments on these forums.

PS: XKCD is great :D

Edited by -VETTE

5 minutes ago, -VETTE said:

That's not the point. If you disagree, you can discuss. There's a difference between an argument and a discussion. It makes me sad to see all the arguments on these forums.

PS: XKCD is great :D

Imo, there hasn't been an argument. Just a discussion where 2 people disagree.