IXEG 737 Progress Update - January 22nd

Cameron

Fantaswtic, now do it again in HD, full screen at low res doesnt do it justice!!!! :)

My first ever flight was in a 733 to Dunedin, turbulence all the way!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Click the gear button bottom right and change quality to 720p. That will give you HD in full screen (EDIT) Why on earth would someone dislike a post that is meant to help someone with a request?

Edited by Yidahoo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was wondering if anybody could explain how flap vortices arise or what causes them =)

In answer to your question, air molecules don't flow straight over a wing linearly from fore to aft. Instead, the air passing under the wing tends to curve outboard, whereas the air flowing over the wing tends to curve inboard. Combined with the fact that the pressure on top of the wing is lower than the pressure under the wing, the air under the wing is going to be sucked up and over the wing at certain points, typically at wing tips. This interaction between the two air flows causes a spiral motion. As the angle of attack of the wing is increased this interaction becomes more pronounced. Extending trailing edge flaps increases the effective angle of attack and some aircraft will experience vortices from their flaps, whereas by design others don't. Aircraft with winglets are less susceptible to wingtip vortices and indeed the purpose of the winglet is to reduce the vortex effect as it causes induced drag which costs fuel.

Vortices are more visual on aircraft approaching to land in moist conditions. ie, conditions where the air temperature and dew point temperature are close. The accelerating air within the vortex causes the pressure and therefore temperature to drop to that of the dewpoint temperature and the vortex becomes visible. (You can test the theory of pressure and temperature dropping in accelerated air by clenching your teeth and sucking in quickly-your teeth go cold).

I hope this answers your question. For the record, I fly the real thing professionally.

• Upvote 5

The flap vortex effect is awesome, but has anyone notice THE REALISTIC SOUND in the last sequence of the video!!!!????.

It sounds real!!!! I thought it was a sound effect from real world inserted in the video!!!

If you IXEG guys pay attention to this tiny details, I can't imagine what's waiting to discover!!!!

• Upvote 1

Is it realistic and dynamic or is it just x number of conditions are met so play the animation?

I presume, both.... but who cares?! While you're 'sitting' up front, does not make sense if those conditions are met or not. It llooks nice on replay session. It really does though! Are we there yet? :))

• Upvote 1