Error trying to validate scenery package

jprophet

Greetings fellow simmers,

Since it decided to snow in Charlotte NC this early weekend and the workplace decided to close as well; I have some free time to play around with World Editor 1.41 and decided to modify some ramp starts. When I finished the changes and was ready to validate I received this error below however the movements I made should not pertain to this error I would not think. 

For the record I got the free scenery (KCLT) off of x-plane.org and was only trying to customize the ramp starts in addition to learning the tool...any help would be most appreciative.

John

Error: Zero length side on line or polygon parent is WED_FacadePlacement

• 3 months later...

John, WED newbie here myself, currently working through Jan Vogel's excellent WED tutorials on YouTube, updating ENCN and hoping to submit to the gateway...

I had this error yesterday funnily enough, think I was placing a Forest at the time, basically I think it's a warning that one of your sides of your object is crossing another or overlapping?  If you do the export and when the error pops, if you check the right hand "objects" pane then I think the offending item will be highlighted.  I just selected and zoomed right in and check all my node positions and lines, made some adjustments and it was fine then.

Hopefully that will work for you?

The usual cause of this is as follows. You create a polygon, split a side, and the vertices snap without your noticing and end up on top of each other. To solve this, you'll need to narrow down which polygon it is. This you can do as hughesj2 said by relying on the built-in diagnostic tool to find the offending polygon. Go through each node, clicking on them (not highlighting) and dragging it around a bit. At some point you'll probably find that when you drag a certain point, another one appears in the original place and doesn't move. Delete the point you moved, and your problems are solved.

If you used the function in the old WED that allows you to generate polygons (which was removed... god knows why, now it takes bloody forever to generate polygons manually), if you were importing a TIFF file sometimes they had errors in their corner data that put points down in the same place twice. 

Good luck! :)