IXEG 737 Progress Update - January 12th

Cameron

Speaking of wing textures, will some liveries also come with this (I think more common) wing texture? http://www.2747.com/2747/world/airport/seville/2010en/brusselsairlines737400b.jpgThe lufthansa planes' wings are almost white in color with the "Do not walk outside this area" black lines on them, whereas every 733 I've flown on had that gray tile on them like in that picture (which I personally find prettier). No biggie if not, but it would probably save me a lot of time when creating repaints :-).

So, to get back to topic, what are you working on at the moment? The last thing I remember was that you were near final testing for the FMS but now you reverted to adding features? I'm sorry if this has been answered in the depths of this thread before, but even though I check this forum daily it's hard to keep up with useful information when threads are exploding like this.

• Upvote 1

So, to get back to topic, what are you working on at the moment? The last thing I remember was that you were near final testing for the FMS but now you reverted to adding features? I'm sorry if this has been answered in the depths of this thread before, but even though I check this forum daily it's hard to keep up with useful information when threads are exploding like this.

Really, if we're being honest, this topic is about a video, butttttt....

Tom = Working on FMS code, as well as 3D items that had to be wrapped up and were to be expected to ship with version 1.0. VNAV continues to be the primary focus for Tom starting tomorrow after a short break to give his mind some rest and do some "easy" 3D. Sadly, he got quite ill last week while out at my office to work, so the last days have been relatively rough. In the evenings working on manuals and formatting them has been the norm, sick or not.

Jan = Working with Tom on FMS testing as functionality gets implemented, and working on manuals.

Me = Assisting in manuals and being overly obnoxious as per usual.

Nils = Working on 3D and texturing

Morten = Working on getting the paint kit in releasable fashion, as well bringing new UV maps/liveries up to speed, and just completed the new IXEG livery as seen in previous post of this thread

It's a situation of the last 10% is always the hardest. You fill in the small things to make the overall product polished and complete. :)

• Upvote 10

Really, if we're being honest, this topic is about a video, butttttt....

Tom = Working on FMS code, as well as 3D items that had to be wrapped up and were to be expected to ship with version 1.0. VNAV continues to be the primary focus for Tom starting tomorrow after a short break to give his mind some rest and do some "easy" 3D. Sadly, he got quite ill last week while out at my office to work, so the last days have been relatively rough. In the evenings working on manuals and formatting them has been the norm, sick or not.

Jan = Working with Tom on FMS testing as functionality gets implemented, and working on manuals.

Me = Assisting in manuals and being overly obnoxious as per usual.

Nils = Working on 3D and texturing

Morten = Working on getting the paint kit in releasable fashion, as well bringing new UV maps/liveries up to speed, and just completed the new IXEG livery as seen in previous post of this thread

It's a situation of the last 10% is always the hardest. You fill in the small things to make the overall product polished and complete. :)

That's a great progress update, thank you very much! :)

Hi

For intrest only. How many lines on code are there in IXEG 737 project? 

For example: according to mr. Hardy Heinlin his the ultimate Boeing 747-400 simulator (PSX) has about 250 000 lines (~100 000 of them are for FMS) (http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2877.msg29059#msg29059). So the FMS system was almost 40% of codebase. On the other hand PSX does not have external model, 3D cockpit etc and is coded in Java.

Vahur 

I get Simeg totally, as I think most of us do (but do not admit). Most aren't vocal about it thats the difference. 

To suggest banning him from the store is senseless and just about blowing sunshine up the dev teams ###.

I assume most people waiting for release can understand the dev team isn't sitting on their hands, but busy with making progress. 

For me this was the process: 

1. didnt know about ixeg 737

2. Stumbled onto the website, wow this looks great

3. taking long..... lost interest years go by

4. tom kyler @ froogle "we'll find a way to get it out this year" (2015) << all your fault tom  :lol:

5. anticipating nice winter evenings in the man cave with the ixeg 737

6. okay, i guess not, o well maybe january

7. okay i guess not, losing immediate interest... going back to hibernation waiting for start gliding season in march

Apart for the gliding bit, i believe many of us are in the process of going back to waiting without expectations, after beeing aroused from hibernation with regards to the ixeg 737. This can be hard, especially if you dont have other pressing matters in your life to distract you. (Luckily I run a small business so I wont even have time to actually fly it when it's released no doubt  :( )

So if guys like simeg want to blow off some steam without insulting people, don't be so harsh. He will be buying it anyway, it will (unfortunately) be the only tubeliner that's actually worth the money and of decent quality.

edited: to blame it all on tom

Edited by sparkie66

it will (unfortunately) be the only tubeliner that's actually worth the money and of decent quality.

I think we should not be so harsh on all of the developers in the community. We have many great add-ons for X-Plane and everyone wants them all to get better, and for our selection to expand. IXEG is undoubtedly going to produce great things, but so will others. There is no need for "sole devotion" and "click's" around developers. 

edited: to blame it all on tom

Works for me :)

I have no problem with folks blowing steam.  I get it, but neither am I affected by it.  I've been around the block a few times and involved in project based businesses for some time.  One of my biggest life lessons is "don't stop moving"   I also have another saying that I like, 'targets are a way to stay focused'....my own virtual carrot dangled in front of my own face.  There is no way you can undertake a project like this and not have to find ways to keep moving after 5 years. Once its out and running smoothly, all this will be forgotten.  So.....I'm finally over my cold, back on the FMS and rushing to get this to market asap!  

Want to know what i'm doing right now?   I'm working on setting AP speeds during the descent phase.   Easy?  Are we already in VNAV?  just engaging?   Are we in the mach or IAS regime?  Are we bound by a current speed limitation? which one (maybe we engaged VNAV midway between two restrictions)  Are we above or below the speed restriction altitude?  Are the flaps out?  Are we in speed or path mode?   Is the descent speed manually overriden? etc. etc.

-tkyler
Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 6

I typically don't respond to "Is it done yet" conversations but I think I will give my opinion on this one. I think we will all know the project is near complete when the team starts talking about code freezes. When a project has entered that phase of development, that means new features are no longer being added. Based on the what Tom has said they are still writing code, which means that any changes that are made will need to be tested. It sounds to me that the project is late Alpha or early Beta. Giving the complexity of these type of addons, there's probably a lot of testing that needs to be done. Specifically if changes are still being made.

Believe me, I want to fly this plane just as much as everyone else, but realistically if they are still coding features, we should not expect release of this plane anytime soon. I understand the importance of building hype for release of a product, but hype and realistic project deadlines are typically never in sync. Just look at the CRJ from Aerosoft as example. I remember last year in the CRJ threads on Aerosoft's forums they advertised a release of that project in Spring 2015. A year later and it's still not released with no foreseeable release candidate.

I check this forum everyday for new information, but I have no expectations of an immanent release until I start seeing words such as "code freeze" or release candidate start to be used. I have no idea what kind of progress the team has made, but my predication for release is probably late 3rd or maybe early 4th quarter this year.

• Upvote 2

What about thread-freezing?

Nah, you just have to not let it get to you....find other stuff to do than read the drivel.  Who knew that trolls really existed till the internet came around?....besides the Norwegian government of course ;)

On another note...can you believe this crap?  What kind of insanity is this!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/20/media/star-wars-episode-viii-date-moved/index.html

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 1

Fortunate for some of us, we live in governments where free speech is respected.

I personally don't agree with everything that is said on these forums, but I do respect the right of those to make dissention, blow off steam or express whatever is on their minds. It's very disturbing when I read talk about banning someone's IP address because of dissention. In the USA we don't do that. While I don't necessarily agree with some of the negative dissention, I respect the right for it to be heard and expressed. As long as the terms of service are respected, everyone's voice should be heard rather it's a negative or a positive comment.

Fortunate for some of us, we live in governments where free speech is respected.

I personally don't agree with everything that is said on these forums, but I do respect the right of those to make dissention, blow off steam or express whatever is on their minds. It's very disturbing when I read talk about banning someone's IP address because of dissention. In the USA we don't do that. While I don't necessarily agree with some of the negative dissention, I respect the right for it to be heard and expressed. As long as the terms of service are respected, everyone's voice should be heard rather it's a negative or a positive comment.

If you are again referring to my "humoristic" comment about IP, I stated VERY clearly it was a joke!  I'm sure you tolerate those in the US as well?  And FYI I come from

a country that is rated far higher in terms of freedom of speech than yours.  http://index.rsf.org/#  By all means, he has a right to be heard if that makes him feel any better even if the ONLY possible outcome of such blasts in public is possibly ruining the day for forum members and designers trying hard to finish a project 

we worked 6 years of our spare time on.  So keep blasting away if you have nothing better to do and delay the project further, we have all the time in the world, this is our hobby. 

And, if you really mean what you say about respect and freedom of speech, you should also respect our right to answer back in a sarcastic and humoristic manner.

Now lets get back to work

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 1

As a developer I really appreciate the effort you guys put into this plane. I did my "degree" on A/T, MCP and Y/D of the 737 and programming only the A/T functionality even using the manual, it's just... whoa...  :lol:

As a customer you don't really see what's happening behind the scenes, what (unexpected) obstacles come into the way, how fast you can solve it - if you even can at all  :rolleyes:

It's frustrating, not just for us as customers, but I'm pretty sure it's frustrating for you as the developers.

It's like an escape game or a maze. You see the target, you know on a really high-level how you gonna get out, but you have no idea HOW you gonna execute it. You keep trying figure out every small step - to get together as an ultimate solution for the escape

Stunning work recently. I see you added the moving cockpit windows even though you said it wouldn't be included in V1.0. Something I could've lived without, but awesome to have. Really like how you can hear the APU in the cockpit too, even though you'll probably never notice it on a normal flight, it once again shows how much work went into the small details. :)

Good luck to the team for the last bit before release, I hope we'll see this soon.

I consider myself lucky that I'm coming to this project very, very late in the game.  I do recall hearing about it a year or two ago and thinking the classic was rubbish because of some bad experiences riding on Southwest, but I've totally fallen in love with it thanks to the videos.  I read the Continental flight manual over the course of the past week and I found myself saying from time to time, "Oh, Jan mentioned that issue in the last video."  I can see how some people are frothing at the mouth now, but I'm happy to wait... a little bit longer.  :wub:

As much as I want the 733 to come out soon because I will be moving onto the next stage of my career shortly and I'll be away from my X-Plane machine for 2-4 months when I am out training( and I would love to have some seat time in the 733 before I head out to train), they need to wait until the product is in a state where it is ready. 

X-Plane has had too many products be released too soon( as much as I hate to say it because I do enjoy the Mad Dog, the MD-88 should have had a few more minutes in the oven). Too many beta testers just take the plane, put a plan in the FMC and see if it flies it, then says it's good to go. As many of us who fly in the real world or online( PE, vatsim, IVAO), how many times did the originally programmed flight plan actually be the final one without any direct to's, short cuts, etc given by ATC? Planes like the Mad Dog and the JAR's can't do direct to's without drama. You can't change the flight plan in mid-flight or things get screwed up( VNAV, lose LNAV, etc). 

From what I have seen, IXEG is focusing on the most important aspects of the plane for a 1.0 release. I don't bring the Mad Dog or any of the JAR's on PilotEdge because I just don't have trust with them. I enjoy the Mad Dog and the JAR's don't get me wrong, but in an environment where the flight plan can change and need a SID/STAR flown correctly, the deficiencies of these planes FMC/systems prevent me from holding too much faith that these planes will do what they should do. 

X-Plane needs less eye candy planes. X-Plane needs more study-level in depth models. 

Edited by ChevyRules
  • Upvote 3