Announcing Real Weather Connector for SkyMaxx Pro v3!

wasnt judging, i was arguing an statement bearly

"I would say you are more fck up than serious if so.." is definitely a judgment on a person who spends their time how they choose if I've ever heard one. You have no idea what one's circumstances may be, and it is neither in your place (nor mine) to judge any person in such a manner. Many people read these forums, and that can certainly be offensive to some. Please be considerate of feelings before you write.

• Upvote 2

I have read the threat and read about SMP 3.1. I was wondering, are you considering aircraft light reflections in the clouds? For example, the NAV and Strobe lights actually light the clouds a little during night and cloudy flights and make them look really cool. Any chance on that? <br /><br /><br />Teban13 - Live to fly! Fly to live!

Hello, I recently bought the skyMaxx 3 and I like it a lot, good to hear that the version 3.1 is comming. I have some questions about real weather connector.

As I understand it will read the metar info of an external weather plugin and put the clouds according, will this plugin able to tell when the plane is inside a cloud to this external  weather plugin add other effects like turbulence? Will this weather conector work with the new overcasts types of skymaxx 3? is RWC going to add towering cummulus when in metar reports TCU? To see these far clouds I must be with extended dsf option on?

About Skymaxx 3 I really like it, especialy to IFR flights with overcast layers, but I would like to give some impressions, when I put few clouds I think that there are so much clouds, it is similar with scattered layers. Clouds at high altutude if they had less height gonna look more natural.

As I understand it will read the metar info of an external weather plugin and put the clouds according, will this plugin able to tell when the plane is inside a cloud to this external  weather plugin add other effects like turbulence? Will this weather conector work with the new overcasts types of skymaxx 3? is RWC going to add towering cummulus when in metar reports TCU? To see these far clouds I must be with extended dsf option on?

To be clear, it reads metar info from external plugins *or* from X-Plane's built-in real weather system - you don't need an external weather plugin to benefit from Real Weather Connector. It will make SkyMaxx Pro's cloud formations much more realistic and immersive with or without one.

Things like wind and turbulence are a function of the weather engine. Real Weather Connector's purpose is to tell SkyMaxx Pro about detailed cloud formations that surround you, so it can visually simulate them. Due to differences in how we might interpolate METAR information vs. how X-Plane or external weather engines might do it, I can't promise things like turbulence will correlate perfectly to our cloud placement. But it should be reasonably close, which has always been the case.

The new "solid stratiform" and "broken stratiform" effects in SkyMaxx Pro 3 will be used if selected in the configuration, and if the entire surrounding area is reporting overcast conditions.

RWC will add towering cumulus and also cumulonimbus clouds to the scene when reported. You don't need extended DSF on for them; clouds will be visible up to the cloud draw distance selected or up to the visibility distance being simulated, whichever is smaller. Screenshots below :)

RWC-CB.png

RWC-TC.png

• Upvote 6

I have read the threat and read about SMP 3.1. I was wondering, are you considering aircraft light reflections in the clouds? For example, the NAV and Strobe lights actually light the clouds a little during night and cloudy flights and make them look really cool. Any chance on that? <br /><br /><br />Teban13 - Live to fly! Fly to live!

As much as I really, really, really want to talk about SkyMaxx Pro 3.1's new features - we haven't announced those yet! Stay tuned.

• Upvote 3

RWC will add towering cumulus and also cumulonimbus clouds to the scene when reported.

Nice screens. Quick question on that - so I'm guessing that the connector will read TC / TC+ or something and draw the storms according to those METAR stations reporting that? I'm guessing it would be difficult to gauge tops of storms based on METARs though, but even just having a storm present in the area of a METAR reporting it..coupled with surrounding METARs that have different conditions, the ability to project all that in X-Plane will be fantastic.

Looking forward to more information and screens...

BeachAV8R

I'm guessing that the connector will read TC / TC+ or something and draw the storms according to those METAR stations reporting that?

There's a huge variety on how METAR can encode storms - TC, TS, CB, TCU ... sometimes with the direction the storm is in, sometimes not. Handling all those cases is a big part of why there's actually more code involved with the Real Weather Connector than with SkyMaxx Pro itself.

You're right that we don't have info on how tall the storm clouds are in most cases. In that case we randomly pick a size between 5 and 7 km, just to keep it looking natural.

Agreed. That would be a good feature but I'm guessing it's xplane issue. It's not realistic to not see the landing lights illuminate the clouds.

Well, you need a system that can run it. When I turn on extended DSFs, I notice a drop in fps of about 20-30%, so I leave it off. I'd rather fly with ex. DFSs off than sacrifice other settings.

Performance hit due to increase in loading scenery. Especially if you run HD/UHD meshes. 

Thanks, I can see this point being a factor for some..

Well I have an non-oc 3770K with a GTX770 4GB and run ex-DSF without any problem, even with most other settings at max or next to max. But then again I stay far as way as I can from SkyPax Pro (no disresepect intended, just personal preference) But at least for me, that hogs FPS like there is no tomorrow, even with settings pretty low vs default! However it does not matter if you use this or that, only that your performance is ok for you. 

I do believe extended-DSF are a must in X-Plane, and it will be more important down the road, just wait and see.

Performance wise you would need a pretty awefull CPU with very low memory to not use ex-DSF, at least that is my opinion. Even Ben said that a 4 core system should maintain a nice flow in game.

http://developer.x-plane.com/2015/03/extended-dsfs-in-x-plane-10-40/

Regardless, graphics and performance will always be a hot topic and I for one are very int. in such topics.

Sadly this thread crushed my little dream of finally getting a external weather generator for X-Plane. A program that could run on a network drive or a seperate computer

and parse raw weather data into stations in X-Plane.

Thought this was it, but sadly I was mistaken!

I'd love to see some solid evidence to support your claim that SMP is a fps hog.

I mean Im not a fan of broccoli because it is purple.

Also I am truly sorry your dreams are crushed if you ever need to talk about it I'm a pm away.....I'd offer my best advice to help you move forward and continue to bloom.

Shine on you crazy diamond!!!

• Upvote 1

Also I am truly sorry your dreams are crushed if you ever need to talk about it I'm a pm away.....I'd offer my best advice to help you move forward and continue to bloom.

The one thing I can say John, if your vocabulary consist of minimum 1% of these cool kind of ironies, you and me could have a fun night out on my behalf, love the irony!

Second, found a fix for SMP hogging here http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=29554:P

Also I am truly sorry your dreams are crushed if you ever need to talk about it I'm a pm away

I am not sad per say John, because I know you are like Apple, everything you can put MAXX behind, it will be realized some day :)