Announcing Real Weather Connector for SkyMaxx Pro v3!

I'd like to see some shots where the weather is significantly different in the sectors that are nearly adjacent to each other. For instance..it isn't unusual to be flying along over a stratus layer and have wide areas of clear skies. While I'm excited about the prospect of not having weather conditions "snap" based on singular METARs, the screens thus far aren't really super impressive if I'm to be honest. I'd also like to see how the new system handles METARs with TR and TR+ and R+ readings..will we get rain shafts and/or reduced visibility through the sector being read? And finally..for low level flight..will the more rapid changing of sectors mean that flying along in a light aircraft you will be likely to run into rapid and abrupt changes in wind direction as you change METAR areas quickly..since winds can be quite different in velocity and direction at each METAR station..

Just a few questions - and looking forward to seeing and reading more about this nice development.

BeachAV8R

• Upvote 1

While I'm excited about the prospect of not having weather conditions "snap" based on singular METARs, the screens thus far aren't really super impressive if I'm to be honest.

Sorry you feel that way! To me, seeing weather systems in front and behind me (or left or right) is a huge immersion change. The fact I can be in an area over some broken clouds and see the far distance overcast getting closer to me is a BIG change.

And finally..for low level flight..will the more rapid changing of sectors mean that flying along in a light aircraft you will be likely to run into rapid and abrupt changes in wind direction as you change METAR areas quickly..since winds can be quite different in velocity and direction at each METAR station..

This statement/question makes me strongly feel you don't understand what this product does or is intended to do. Perhaps a re-read through the thread is in order. This is not a weather injector, unlike FSGRW, EFASS, etc.

Quite the contrary - I do understand what the product does. And your link to the image demonstrating the "huge immersion change" is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I'm not slamming the product, I'm just saying the screens don't really demonstrate a sim changing experience in my opinion. I reserve the right to be wrong however. I've been impressed with SkyMaxx Pro v3, so whatever you guys come up with that will make it better is great news.

But to get back to my question - the program requires SkyMaxx Pro, which is a weather injector correct? So will the sampling of a wider area of METARs result in any difference in winds and turbulence?

BeachAV8R

the program requires SkyMaxx Pro, which is a weather injector correct?

No, SkyMaxx Pro is not a weather injector, and never has been. It is a cloud rendering engine based on what X-Plane's weather system (or a third party weather injector) tell X-Plane to do (thereby telling SkyMaxx Pro what clouds to render). Your misunderstanding of what the products do are ultimately misguiding your expectations here.

And your link to the image demonstrating the "huge immersion change" is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Indeed, it is! If you prefer one, massive slab of uniform weather over seeing multiple types of weather based on real weather data, then this product definitely won't be for you!

the screens thus far aren't really super impressive if I'm to be honest.

Interesting weather is just hard to find in the winter! I did notice that Geneva was having some rather crappy weather at the moment, so here's a shot near LSGG. You can see there's a bunch of clouds bunched up against the mountains with some storms forming:

RWC-Storm.png

• Upvote 1

No, SkyMaxx Pro is not a weather injector, and never has been. It is a cloud rendering engine based on what X-Plane's weather system (or a third party weather injector) tell X-Plane to do (thereby telling SkyMaxx Pro what clouds to render). Your misunderstanding of what the products do are ultimately misguiding your expectations here.

Indeed, it is! If you prefer one, massive slab of uniform weather over seeing multiple types of weather based on real weather data, then this product definitely won't be for you!

Well, my expectations are that the Weather Connector will further improve the graphics and realism of X-Plane and SkyMaxx Pro. The images you've posted do not demonstrate that in my opinion. Comparing the images you've posted to the default X-Plane clouds - umm..I think I'll take the slab of uniform weather since it is more realistic looking than your images. All these images are default XP weather read from the in-game weather downloading..

ce9e9d4e1d2340a675d15d6ab6fb85db43b6d451

5dac61198247ed4b77dbdefb443c772d98ba8d42

914c21fc51e7025be85f8836209207276d6ea5f7

55444b9fd24b184836ba24dc4b2cd8e099696959

1d8f28149329aa20a94e16956c015436a6c7409f

9c53a6fea783fd07947b188f38c638b54e015b12

I mean, even the SkyMaxx Pro v2 and v3 clouds I've been seeing far surpass what you are showing - I think you are underselling what you have created if it is an improvement on what "default" SkyMaxx will do...

SkyMaxx Pro screens:

0431821254bb823fc0039d614a6324bd99625b67

616616ee81b5614499142806a914e23980d65bbb

28cfdac36deb0c71cf5a70acd684acaf2b63ea18

2a2cba0a986bc01e15a3012420f1b30518094836

I'm just saying if you are promo-ing an improved product..post some screens that demonstrate it. Just trying to be helpful..

BeachAV8R

• Upvote 2

I think I'll take the slab of uniform weather since it is more realistic looking than your images.

Except the "slab" was not in any way in reference to X-Plane's default weather. Again, if you read the original post which started this thread you would understand (I would hope) what this achieves, why, and how. Posting screenshots of default weather directly implies you still don't understand.

I understand you are not impressed and perhaps even don't fully understand the whole picture. That said, I'm quite happy most people do "get it" and are excited by the possibilities. :)

Vote with your wallet, Chris. No hand twisting here!

OK then, since my words don't appear to be working, we'll try your words:

"To be precise, Real Weather Connector will further enhance your flying sessions when utilizing real world weather from sources like NOAA, FSGRW, X-Plane's Real WX Download option, EFASS, etc. It will parse the METAR data downloaded from these applications and grid the SkyMaxx Pro v3 clouds to their respective locations.

Don't think of it as a replacement for whatever you use to get real weather from. It enhances the experience by creating a more direct link between these apps and SkyMaxx Pro - and it also works great with X-Plane's built-in real world weather or any weather engine that drops METAR files."

So - why not show us screens that more adequately demonstrate the gridding of clouds to their respective locations. Again, my honest assessment of your screens thus far is that they show a broken layer no better, and in fact worse, than what default settings do. I understand that the tool will prevent snap in / snap out weather..but your screens don't really show any dramatic difference from 3 miles away to 50 miles away. Are those SkyMaxx clouds you are showing in your screens? And please don't get me wrong, I am excited by the prospect of larger, more continuous and realistic weather depictions with better transitions. I just haven't seen that in your screens.

BeachAV8R

I understand that the tool will prevent snap in / snap out weather..but your screens don't really show any dramatic difference from 3 miles away to 50 miles away.

So the screenshot with the 747 passing over a different cloud type than the overcast layer some 30 or NM behind is in no way different? That's silly, Chris.

Frank has also just posted a photo above. If you are left unimpressed, so be it. This product was not in your want list, but it was in thousands of others', and the response has been tremendously positive in e-mail replies to our newsletter (and quite a number here too). Many more images will be posted over time. This is a work in progress forum for great reason, and we're excited to announce the ability to have this feature in SkyMaxx Pro (one, if not the MOST requested feature ever for the product). It's not your cup o' tea, and that's quite alright. :)

I'm truly not interested in debating with you. If you don't see it, then so be it.

What weather injector are you using for the shots you are posting?

default or any other like FSGRW?

Who are you asking?

The first set I posted are default X-Plane clouds with the default in-game weather data downloading.

The second set I posted are with SkyMaxx Pro v3 with the default in-game weather data downloading.

And on the record - I love SkyMaxx Pro.. Love the clouds, the lens flare, etc... So if I keep what it gives me, and the Connector brings better transitions between areas, then they've already sold it to me. Now they need to sell it to other people, and you do that by posting awesome screens of what SkyMaxx Pro v3 + Connector can do. Marketing 101. Just trying to be helpful...

BeachAV8R

Now they need to sell it to other people, and you do that by posting awesome screens of what SkyMaxx Pro v3 + Connector can do. Marketing 101. Just trying to be helpful...

We'll manage the marketing when we're done with beta testing, Chris. Please don't try and turn this into a schooling topic. We have plenty of time to show work as it's progressing.

You don't expect Goran to release the Citation with just one wing, or buttons missing in the cockpit when he shows progress shots, do you? There's nothing different here. Let it go. The 'Work in progress' designation for this exact forum and others exists solely for the reason of showing progression.

spends about 10% of time in sim and about 90% in QGis or WED) but I'd say it looks like something that will be a must-have for serious pilots.

You spend 10% of time in the sim it qualifies you to be called a serious pilot? Ok, to be clear, what if you double or quadrouple the time you'd be what then..