Things that are NOT going to be in V1.5

Litjan

This is correct as far as the screens go - I think that the sound of the breakers working is pretty much "instantaneous" as soon as the switch reaches the "end" position (they are toggle switches). Our level-D simulators have this wrong. There is a slight delay for the activation of the breakers, and it always threw me off when using the switches. For a second you go "oh, something is not working"...

We haven´t modeled the screen blanking so far, but we might do so for release, if not then will do it later. I think it is a neat effect that shows the significance of transferring the powersource...

Jan

• Upvote 3

Failures due to wear and aging of parts  will be ?

Implemented in the future.  We have a strong engineering model for implementing an incredibly diverse array of failures and realistic management of such will require a fair amount of effort to be at the level we want.

-tkyler

• Upvote 5

I think every native FSX guy who is missing the scroll wheel support should try out a X-Plane addon with a good grab 'n drag mouse interface. Dreamfoils Bell 407 is a good example and I personally never use their implemented scroll wheel interface. Why? Firstly, it interferes with the zoom function of X-Plane if your are not precisely point the mouse over the appropriate clickspot or the viewing direction moves during maneuvers. And secondly, I found it to be more "realistic", since the dragging movement is detentless when dialing up analogue instruments (barometer setting for example). I grew up with MS Flightsim and really don't miss the scroll wheel for that matter. However, the interface of most default planes in X-Plane is a PITA.

On a side note, wing flex is obsolete for my taste...

well, i tried both, a plane that has a good scroll wheel support and a few planes with pretty good clickspot. I still prefer the wheel scroll, probably because i use x-camera and have few use of the zoom function with the mouse. Anyway, this is a matter of taste and I would agree that the best would be to have an option to activate/disactivate depending on custom taste

well I know about the basic push-back truck that there would not be a way to set distance and such, and it can be good by most airports I guess.. as you say there is no easy way to make it look/move "realistic" (without knowing where buildings etc. are).. I would say that´s right to some degree, as I know of some plug-ins that we have seen in the past. where the wind could blow the aircraft out of it´s push back path. But again I don´t know how that would be for your plane, and how it is coded.. and yes there is no perfect way of doing it..

But I would say I just released a simple push back plug-in by 2 versions and not that I want to advertise for it, as it is not the intention more a developer share and suggestion that you may consider implementing or not.. As in fact the user could just use this insted but I guess it is beter to offer the solution to the developers and get it implemented as that way more can enjoy it, as they dont have to get the files I created.

I can´t say what version would be best. But you could do it 1 of the ways I did it.. As I se you got 3 buttons the easy version might be a good option as insted of left or right you could control the push back force, if that turns out to be a good solution as it depends on the wind, and the push back button does what it says when ever you want to do it like I did let the user push the button to work as it can be smart during turns or just a way to start and stop it as you can use brakes to slow it down / pause the push.  then there is the pro version that uses a profile for the given plane in my case but can´t be adjusted by the user, for the best 0.xx value. it how ever only make use of the push button or how you want it to work, even by the pro you could still do 3 things as I have seen in your build from april last year. it could be as shown below or any other way just a suggestion of cause:

1) start and stop push back..

2) by holding the button you could do the pushback

3) reverse the force so you get the option to pull the plane forward

That might be a solution that would work in any airport.

The good and the bad about the coding is as follows: The very good thing in my opinion is that the user can control the planes nose if the plane is set up to provide nose / rudder. This way no mater how the airport might look you can manually get on the centerline for taxi.. The less good thing is you can but not safely start the plane while push back as I think that is a bit difficult to both have a start up flow and control the push back. But also the difference in force created by engine idling when only 1 is running and the wind factor might give you a harder way of controlling the plane in strong wind. I say you can either start before or after but again depends on what option you might choose as if you use the pro you cant adjust the force and what might work best by engines are at idle might be to strong when they are off.. That can be adjusted by the easy if you have the option to increase and decrease the force as required, for the given situation. it could also be you have another solution, this was just to show case it, when ever it might be worth considering..

​I dont know why I sometimes cant insert codes, so the link to the project is here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=29983

Best regards Lars

The list contains a lot of things that would be 'nice to have' but from what I read the list is only going to get shorter as many of them are not included due only to time constraints with plans to add them later.

And others may be added if there is a demand for them, like the the mousewheel scroll!  

Qoute...

• "No way to output any CDU, EADI or EHSI onto an external device like iPad or such. Would like to have that (especially for cockpit builders), though."

I am in the process of building a 737 flight sim with projectors but keep returning to FSX/P3D for no other reason than you can undock windows which is huge, absolutely huge, as all my a/c panels will be different touch screen monitors.

I realize this has to do with X-Plane and not the IXEG 737.  Don't think Austin has any plans to incorporate the undocking of windows.

This won't stop me from buying this 737 though!  Amazing!

well, i tried both, a plane that has a good scroll wheel support and a few planes with pretty good clickspot. I still prefer the wheel scroll, probably because i use x-camera and have few use of the zoom function with the mouse. Anyway, this is a matter of taste and I would agree that the best would be to have an option to activate/disactivate depending on custom taste

Strange I just mentioned the wheel in my above post,  I agree with you that the best scenario would be an option to select either.  I understand the problem that if you venture off the click area you zoom wildly.  This can be corrected simply by making the click area larger.  In FSX you don't even need to click but rather just hover over and scroll.  With the FF a/c you have the options, including double clicking which makes the entire monitor the click zone until you are done scrolling, then you simply single click to exit that mode.

Cheers

well I would say I also like mouse wheel in FSX but in X-plane I haven´t seen a good solution in my opinion.. But in x-plane some developers have done it nice so it is not required to have the mouse wheel support. But in fact I dont think it might be that difficult if laminar just introduced a assigned button for the mouse to turn on and off the zoom or you have to hold middle mouse button and scrool to zoom.. There is options enough for laminar to sellect between if they realy wanted, but they have stated why some time back, as far as I remember..

well yes you could say the developer here could also use the option to bind the hold of the middle mouse button and scrool I guess or in other combinations. But again if laminar then wants to edit it later you know the storry.. extra work again..

Having used FSX for years,  I thouht that mouse wheel control was essential. But now, after flying X-Plane exclusively  for about a year, I pretty much changed my mind.

Going back to FSX from time to time, controlling the MCP/AP, radios etc. with the mouse wheel feels unnatural and uncomfortable for me.

So I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to. I would now prefer if mouse wheel support would be strictly optional, if it's implemented in a future release.

Edited by mgeiss
  • Upvote 1

On that note, how well have you guys modeled flight into icing conditions? I personally find the default one lacking.

i.e I can set percip to severe along with "sticky zone" temperatures, ignore the anti-ice and still fly by all normal ref speeds with minimal impact on flight performance.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

On that note, how well have you guys modeled flight into icing conditions? I personally find the default one lacking.

i.e I can set percip to severe along with "sticky zone" temperatures, ignore the anti-ice and still fly by all normal ref speeds with minimal impact on flight performance.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work.

I agree, I've tried my hardest to test out icing conditions in various aircraft, and I cannot, for the life of me, get the slightest indication of ice accretion. I've been flying my C210T through conditions that, in reality, would bring the plane down within moments, yet I get nothing in the sim. It's really a shame. I would imagine it is not something you can affect as it may simply be a simulator limitation, but if it's possible to make the icing effects more realistic and present, I would greatly appreciate it. One shouldn't be able to fly through visible moisture (clouds, fog, freezing rain, etc.) without any change to fly dynamics. 

Regardless of this, I am so excited to fly your guys' bird, and I greatly appreciate all the work you are putting into it.

Thanks,

Clayton

I agree, I've tried my hardest to test out icing conditions in various aircraft, and I cannot, for the life of me, get the slightest indication of ice accretion. I've been flying my C210T through conditions that, in reality, would bring the plane down within moments, yet I get nothing in the sim. It's really a shame. I would imagine it is not something you can affect as it may simply be a simulator limitation, but if it's possible to make the icing effects more realistic and present, I would greatly appreciate it. One shouldn't be able to fly through visible moisture (clouds, fog, freezing rain, etc.) without any change to fly dynamics. 

Regardless of this, I am so excited to fly your guys' bird, and I greatly appreciate all the work you are putting into it.

Thanks,

Clayton

You are doing something wrong. The icing effects in X-Plane are definitely there. I just tried it.

I get a marked increase in drag, and a marked decrease in lift. I attach a picture - try to display the same data on your screen, then hunt for icing conditions: Fly inside clouds with a temperature just below freezing. Careful: You must have a TAT below freezing, not an OAT. Also too cold - no icing. Snow won´t ice. All this is realistic.

Also: Don´t have anti-ice equipment running (some planes might have this on by default).

Jan

post-3933-0-63207300-1453197838_thumb.jp

post-3933-0-42401900-1453197847_thumb.jp

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 9

You are doing something wrong. The icing effects in X-Plane are definitely there. I just tried it.

I get a marked increase in drag, and a marked decrease in lift. I attach a picture - try to display the same data on your screen, then hunt for icing conditions: Fly inside clouds with a temperature just below freezing. Careful: You must have a TAT below freezing, not an OAT. Also too cold - no icing. Snow won´t ice. All this is realistic.

Also: Don´t have anti-ice equipment running (some planes might have this on by default).

Jan

attachicon.gifIcing 1.jpg

attachicon.gifIcing 2.jpg

Hmm... I'll try it with those displays up, but I intentionally flew around icing conditions (just at and below 0˚C) in liquid precipitation, adjusting the weather to specifically cause icing. But maybe I did something wrong. I was flying without any de-ice/anti-ice. Maybe I missed it, but I'll try testing it with those displays and see what I get.

But I'm sure it's probably just me suffering from an id.10.t error (idiot error).

Hmm... I'll try it with those displays up, but I intentionally flew around icing conditions (just at and below 0˚C) in liquid precipitation, adjusting the weather to specifically cause icing. But maybe I did something wrong. I was flying without any de-ice/anti-ice. Maybe I missed it, but I'll try testing it with those displays and see what I get.

But I'm sure it's probably just me suffering from an id.10.t error (idiot error).

Can you specify what you think "icing conditions" are? Liquid precipitation is not icing condition. Just below 0C is not icing conditions.

Real icing conditions are hard to find. You need:

A.) Supercooled droplets (not snow!) - visibility below ca. 1500m or 1SM

B.) Temperature between ca. -40C and -1C

C.) A TAT (leading edge temperature) below -0C

I am not sure if X-Plane models icing in low visibility - I think it distinguishes between "visibility" and "clouds". So you may have to be "in the clouds" (where everything goes totally white) to get icing, together with parameters B and C. If your airplane flies "too fast", then the TAT will rise so that no ice can build, even if the OAT is -10C...

Jan

Can you specify what you think "icing conditions" are? Liquid precipitation is not icing condition. Just below 0C is not icing conditions.

Real icing conditions are hard to find. You need:

A.) Supercooled droplets (not snow!) - visibility below ca. 1500m or 1SM

B.) Temperature between ca. -40C and -1C

C.) A TAT (leading edge temperature) below -0C

I am not sure if X-Plane models icing in low visibility - I think it distinguishes between "visibility" and "clouds". So you may have to be "in the clouds" (where everything goes totally white) to get icing, together with parameters B and C. If your airplane flies "too fast", then the TAT will rise so that no ice can build, even if the OAT is -10C...

Jan

Icing between about -40˚C to about -1˚ (like you said), in visible moisture (could be freezing rain, SLD, clouds, fog, freezing fog, etc. but not snow or hail or solid forms of water). I did, however, fly with the ice accumulation output display up last night in the conditions listed, and I did see that it indicated buildup (very small due to brief encounter with such conditions). It could be that I've just not noticed it, but I have purposely tried to test out what it is like and have had a tough time. But again, I'm thinking that may be user error since I could see the output display indicating accumulation. I am used to icing conditions in the real world as I fly (IRL) in the Pacific Northwest US and have dealt with these conditions a lot in the last couple years. So I must just be oblivious when it happens in the sim. And I do believe that you are correct in thinking XP does *not* model icing in poor visibility, but it does in clouds.

On a side-note, I recently had a pitot/static failure shortly after takeoff due to ice buildup in the pitot tube, despite the pitot tube being turned on and working (tested during preflight) prior to takeoff and there being no visible moisture in the area. It made it very difficult to comprehend what was going on, but once I figured it out, all was good. After the flight, inspection revealed that nothing was lodged in the system, so I can't be 100% sure it was ice, but I'm about 99.9% sure. Temp was -18˚C at the time.

Thanks

• Litjan changed the title to Things that are NOT going to be in V1.31
  • Litjan changed the title to Things that are NOT going to be in V1.5
  • Morten pinned this topic