SkyMaxx Pro Version 3.0 Announcement!

Cameron

I'm not really all that freaked out by the upgrade price.  They have to eat, too, and it's definitely some long hours creating products like this.  I would agree with twgin that bundling the upgrade with SoundMAXX would definitely sweeten the deal. 

My bigger concern is the impact on sim performance.  2.x has really been largely unusable on my system, and the most frustrating thing is that it can unexpectedly push a sim over the top right as things are getting busy, like, oh, say, preparing for landing.  Suddenly - BAM - frame rates drop to single digits and you might as well just exit the sim and  call it a day.  And this on a i7-4770K with a GeForce GTX770.  I've messed around a great deal verifying the influence of SkyMAXX on the sim, including a rather lengthy discussion with Ben S. at Laminar.  He did not implicate SkyMAXX - so don't go yelling at him.  But from his discussion and suggestions on figuring out why I see severe performance swings in the same air space from one day to the next brought me back to SkyMAXX as the ultimate culprit.  That and my reluctance to dumb-down any of the other settings, that is.

So, although I'll probably pay for this upgrade, if I find it's the same story with v3.0, there may not be another upgrade - paid or otherwise - in my (or ...MAXX's) future.

Looks very nice! Very happy to pay the $20 upgrade within the first 60 days!

One question which I will likely word incorrectly/awkwardly haha. Does SkyMAXX v3 load in clouds as it sees them in the weather and environment window? At the moment in v2 (I believe) it seems as though you are flying along with no clouds at all and then you enter an area where there should be clouds so clouds load in immediately around you from all angles. Suddenly I find there are uniform clouds in front and behind me.

The one thing I prefer about the default clouds is that a cloud front will load in 60-100 kilometres in front of me and I can watch as I approach and slowly get engulfed in cloud. Just a suggestion but something I think is relatively important for immersion.

Thanks,

Andy

Where do I send the $$? :D :D :D

Great job, I am in for the update/upgrade/purchase ...whatever. 

Looks fantastic to me and I will be happy to pay for upgrade/new version.

Eeverything takes time and effort plus countless trials and errors till the acceptable level is achieved and that applies to SMP as well.

I know that some people will throw stones at me for saying that but this is my opinion, like it or not.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Edited by arb65912

Hi,

I have the SkyMaxx Pro V2 Order #17850, and I want to buy the upgrade, how I get it? I went to the site http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/and dont found nothing, also I logged in to my account and dont found nothing that said v3. Could you tell us were we can download it. And if is 50% off for v2 Users, how apply the discount. 

Thank you. 

How exactly will I have paid "less than normal" for v3 when I will have to again pay 50%, another 19.99, making my total cost that same normal/regular price of 39,95..?

Yes I got it on sale and that's the point: I purchased it at the value I thought it was worth. And again if I knew a new version was coming out like NOW, I would not have purchased it, and waited for the next sale.
I think we do have a right to expect some minimum customer support for "weird" cases like this, it's not too much to ask for...

Walter,

I have to agree with cameron. Your own words state that had you known that version 3 was coming out soon, you would not have bought Version 2 and just waited to purchase Version 3 when it came out. Sooooo, in the end had you waited for version 3 as you stated, you would have paid the $40. Now for the same exact price you have the benifit of both worlds. You have version 2 AND version 3 for that same price. I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I can understand the frusteration of seeing something for the first time and THINK that you missed out, but in the end you actually have BOTH versions cheaper than the rest of us as we have paid $40 for version 2 nd now have to pay an additional $20 for version 3 for a GRAND TOTAL of $60 compared to your $40. Just taker a min and think about it. I think you will see what cameron was trying to explain. None of us like having to pay for an upgrade. Just think of version 2 that you have as an extended preview to test out, if that makes you feel better. And when cameron states you are paying less than normal, he means less than those who are upgrading. Don't be upset, just take a min and do the math. Have an Awesome day!

Chris

Hi,

I have the SkyMaxx Pro V2 Order #17850, and I want to buy the upgrade, how I get it? I went to the site http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/and dont found nothing, also I logged in to my account and dont found nothing that said v3. Could you tell us were we can download it. And if is 50% off for v2 Users, how apply the discount.

Thank you.

Hi there,

As the main post states it is not yet released.

You will receive info on how to get the upgrade once it's out! :)

• Upvote 1

Where do I send the $$? :D :D :D

Great job, I am in for the update/upgrade/purchase ...whatever.

Looks fantastic to me and I will be happy to pay for upgrade/new version.

Eeverything takes time and effort plus countless trials and errors till the acceptable level is achieved and that applies to SMP as well.

I know that some people will throw stones at me for saying that but this is my opinion, like it or not.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Thank you for the positive encouragement, sir!

I'm really looking forward to this upgrade, I'd pay for it now if you accepted preorders. The question is when is it being released?

I'm also interested in knowing if I can continue using Real Terra Haze or will SMP3 have its own engine to deliver the RTH effects?

I'd also like to thank the developers for offering a discount, there are so many developers out there that want full price for every iteration of their products. Thanks

Lee

That tooks like a big improvement. Can't wait until the upgrade to SMP3 is available. I have no problems with pay a little for an upgrade that brings a lot of progress. In the past I wasted a lot more money for things with a much lesser use for my X-Plane. In my moderate opinion SkyMaxx Pro is worth every cent.

Edited by WalSch

I'm really looking forward to this upgrade, I'd pay for it now if you accepted preorders. The question is when is it being released?

Very soon we hope! We are genuinely working as fast as possible towards a smooth release.

I'm also interested in knowing if I can continue using Real Terra Haze or will SMP3 have its own engine to deliver the RTH effects?

I personally have had no issues using RTH in my tests. That said I know the question was asked previously about mie scattering in RTH. I'll have to get back to you on that since I usually don't use it.

I'd also like to thank the developers for offering a discount, there are so many developers out there that want full price for every iteration of their products. Thanks

Lee

Appreciate the comments!

My opinion is that this kind of tentative forcing usually hides a poor deal.If it is that good why to urge people to upgrade ?
Hey, no one is forcing you to upgrade now. 60 days is more than ample time for reviews to tell you if a product is poo. You can certainly do it at a later time for $39.95 (we'd certainly like that better!).
If innovation turned out to be limited on that paid upgrade, that would be a good incentivefor people to develop a freeware version.
If it were really that easy I'm sure we'd have one by now. It's all about business economics and keeping the progression of development in check. I think our track period speaks for itself when it comes to following through, so assume what you will!

That tooks like a big improvement. Can't wait until the upgrade to SMP3 is available. I have no problems with pay a little for an upgrade that brings a lot of progress. In the past I wasted a lot more money for things with a much lesser use for my X-Plane. In my moderate opinion SkyMaxx Pro is worth every cent.

Thank you for the kind comments! :)

Hi, nice video but...Would be possible to see a video of clouds transitions from inside the plane? This is the reason I'm using standard X-Plane clouds: I still prefer the way this clouds interacts with speed and in/out transitions instead of SMP ones. And this would be a reason for choose to upgrade or not (an upgrade that is a bit too expensive for existing customers I think). Or may be would be possible to try before buy? At least for a short period of time (a week for example)?!

...sent from One+ One using Tapatalk

Hi, nice video but...Would be possible to see a video of clouds transitions from inside the plane? This is the reason I'm using standard X-Plane clouds: I still prefer the way this clouds interacts with speed and in/out transitions instead of SMP ones. And this would be a reason for choose to upgrade or not (an upgrade that is a bit too expensive for existing customers I think). Or may be would be possible to try before buy? At least for a short period of time (a week for example)?!

...sent from One+ One using Tapatalk

No worries, mate. It's not for everyone and you very well may fall in that boat given your history of interaction here! Enjoy what you like and let it be. Sounds like you're digging those default clouds! :)

As previously stated there will be no demo version offered.

Sorry, I don't have any time to create such a video as you've requested. Maybe someday, just not now.

Andy,

What you're asking for is not available to plugins information access wise. As such, this remains the same for now.

I recall somebody talked maybe about creating an API for SMP , so weather plugins can bypass Xplane , did I remeber correctly?

I think contacting the guys the develop fs global real weather , to interact perfectly with SMP will be great , this can be the perfect and long-awaited weather depection for Xplane. 

Would be possible to see a video of clouds transitions from inside the plane?

Like Cameron said, we don't have one handy. I'm sure users will post some once it's out pretty quickly. It's just not the sort of thing you can squeeze into a ten second clip, so it didn't make it into our promo video.

Transitions through the new stratiform clouds and ground fog use a completely new, and different approach than SMP 2's clouds. I think you'll like it.

• Upvote 2

- it has mie scattering - will SMP 3.0 work with the RTH plugin? The reason I ask is that has a setting for mie scattering as well.

Mie scattering means something different in this context. It won't interfere with RTH at all is the short story. In the context of RTH, "Mie scattering" applies to scattering of light through the atmosphere as it goes from distant terrain to your eye. In the context of SkyMaxx Pro 3, Mie scattering refers only to how light is scattered by our new stratiform clouds. There is a very complicated "Mie function" that we simulate down to 0.1-degree precision at three different wavelengths in order to produce the most realistic looking stratus clouds we can.

Ever notice a faint, circular rainbow on top of flat stratus clouds when viewed from above? That's a result of Mie scattering within the cloud, and you'll see that in SMP3.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 3

Cameron while I'm here I've got a question. I run three instances of xplane. 1 1040r3beta, 1 up to date 10.40 and one oldie but goodie (10.36). Do I need to install three times or just once and then copy files over to the other two?

Thanks!!! Can't wait for the release!! You guys do great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mie scattering means something different in this context. It won't interfere with RTH at all is the short story. In the context of RTH, "Mie scattering" applies to scattering of light through the atmosphere as is goes from distant terrain to your eye. In the context of SkyMaxx Pro 3, Mie scattering refers only to how light is scattered by our new stratiform clouds. There is a very complicated "Mie function" that we simulate down to 0.1-degree precision at three different wavelengths in order to produce the most realistic looking stratus clouds we can.

Ever notice a faint, circular rainbow on top of flat stratus clouds when viewed from above? That's a result of Mie scattering within the cloud, and you'll see that in SMP3.

Well, heck - that right there would be worth the price of the upgrade.  I wanna see that!  :)