Heading indicator

manofmac

Only had this aircraft a couple of days but by following the tutorial I finally managed to get the aircraft into the air.

Other than "ARM" I didn't see anything in the tutorial about the CTOD and had a couple of aborted takeoffs after the CTOD cut in and dropped the Torque to 60%, apparently the default setting.

What I do find awkward is setting the heading. Not so much on the ground, as there is no problem with stability there, but in the air.  The heading knob does not rotate nicely for me.  I have to drag a fair way before the heading bug moves and then it moves steadily. Stopping it on the correct heading is tricky. I have not found a way to move it one degree at a time.  Is there one?

It's also difficult to see the heading indicator and the heading knob on the console at the same time.

How do others cope with this?

thanks

P

How do others cope with this?
You are quiet correct. What I do is setup two toggle switches on my Saitek X-55 throttle quadrant to set the Heading and Course. I do the same with the autopilot connect/disconnect as they are very hard to operate in flight.

I also have a button on my mouse setup to move the Heading bug to the Current Heading. Very useful, especially as the movement of the heading bug is pretty slow in this aircraft.

I really need some more switches as I would also like to setup CRS2 as well... 

Hover your mouse over the User Preferences in the Gizmo sidebar to the right, and left click.  You'll see this pop up.

post-581-0-61159300-1437002259_thumb.png

Put a check mark in the boxes of your choice.  Use scroll wheel for more accurate selection of heading or course.  

Adjust heading and you will see your heading change in the top left.

post-581-0-81716400-1437002428_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

thanks Kneighbor and Goram.

I'm going with the Goram solution right now, seems to work ok for me.

One question though. The heading know between the CRS1 and CRS2 knobs moves in 1 degree increments. That's fine.

However, the large knob on the AutoPilot panel will move the heading bug quickly in either direction but, when the small heading knob is touched, the heading bug flies back to its original position. Bug or intentional?

P

However, the large knob on the AutoPilot panel will move the heading bug quickly in either direction but, when the small heading knob is touched, the heading bug flies back to its original position. Bug or intentional?
Looks like a bug.  Thanks for reporting.

Incidentally, there is a pop-up panel available, that you can assign a button or key to, that will give you CRS1, HDG, and CRS2 adjustment capability similar to the radios.  This makes it much easier to adjust when flying and you want to keep your view out the cockpit window.

Glad to help and I appreciate the quick answers here.

Goram pointed out the CRS1, HDG and CRS2 pop ups, I had not found that functionality before then.

As I mentioned, I'm new to this aircraft so I am still getting used to flying it.  

I like what I see so far, very impressive.  Nicely done

P

Goram pointed out the CRS1, HDG and CRS2 pop ups, I had not found that functionality before then.
There are two different type pop-ups available.  

One is the "display" of the course and heading.  

There is also a pop-up panel that has the dials on it for adjusting the heading and course values, which makes it much easier to set these values without looking down to the center console.  This pop-up panel can be displayed by assigning the appropriate command to a button or key.

There is also a pop-up panel that has the dials on it for adjusting the heading and course values, which makes it much easier to set these values without looking down to the center console.  This pop-up panel can be displayed by assigning the appropriate command to a button or key.

That one is eluding me.  I didn't see anything in the advanced button section that seemed appropriate although I did find the section for LES aircraft and the SAAB in particular

I wouldn't say no to a pointer on this

Thanks

P

• 3 months later...

P

I have attempted to diagnose this and cannot recreate this issue.  As of now I will consider this closed unless someone can provide specific steps to produce this problem.

Edited by JGregory

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I can reproduce it,

I am in NAV mode on a RAD of a VOR, my heading bug is somewhere,

Datarefs values are :

LES/saab/autopilot/CHP/heading_dial = 36150.

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/heading_dial_deg_mag_copilot = 121.203514

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/heading_dial_deg_mag_pilot = 150,

sim/cockpit/autopilot/heading_mode = 9

See picture 2

I turn the big knob for a heading of 230, and i punch on the heading button,

Values are :

LES/saab/autopilot/CHP/heading_dial = 230.375946

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/heading_dial_deg_mag_pilot = 230.375946

sim/cockpit/autopilot/heading_mode = 11

Picture 3

Now, i turn the small heading knob, it quiet turn  the heading bug to its old value (is it stored ?)

Values are :

LES/saab/autopilot/CHP/heading_dial = 36148.

sim/cockpit2/autopilot/heading_dial_deg_mag_pilot = 148

sim/cockpit/autopilot/heading_mode = 1

Picture 1

In fact, i don't understand the use of those 2 knobs in the real plane and in the simulated one, as they ar tied,

PS: is it possible to have the Heading slave buttons implemented?

Claude,

Pict3.gif

Pict1.gif

Pict2.gif

Edited by birdy.dma

• 2 months later...
On April 22, 2016 at 7:00 AM, birdy.dma said:

I also have a problem with the Turn Knob (System page 194).

Turning this knob, If in Nav mode, the AP should switch automatically to Heading Mode. It  does'nt.

Do i miss something ?

The UP-Dn Pitch Wheel switch from climb to VS.

Although the LES documentation does state that, the factory documents do not.  It must have been missed when we were proofreading the docs.  i cannot find any documentation stating that moving the heading turn knob will reset the current autopilot mode.

Edited by JGregory

4 hours ago, birdy.dma said:

Ok, but why those 2 heading bugs, in the same area of the cockpit to do the same job ?

Heading "bugs" ?  I'm pretty sure there is only one heading bug.  Did you mean heading "dials" ?  We did not design the Saab, we just simulated it.  You would have to ask the engineers at Saab why they have two heading select dials.

I can read fluently in English, but it’s a pain to write.

Your translation of my global English in correct English is right.

I don’t know why, but there is no Saab engineer in my address book. A real pilot could help.

On the smartcockpit site is the Saab 340B.

This is my understanding: as the turn knob drives the FD/AP, if AP is on NAV mode, it should switch to HDG mode as stated in your doc.

In fact, i am just intrigued and curious, and can live without this knowledge, and the sim as it is.

Your simulation is great, as the support is.

Thank You.

Claude.

Saab_340B_Autoflight_page_8.jpg

Saab_340B_Autoflight_page_25.jpg

Edited by birdy.dma

Claude,

The Swedes are famous for "strange" translations in their documentation  And the B model has many differences from the A.  As you noted above, the documentation states... "The knob is used to manually apply heading commands to the FD/AP".  I understand this to mean that turning the knob sends a new heading to the FD/AP, not that it changes the AP mode.   However, I may be interpreting the Swedes use of English improperly :)

We will double check with our Saab pilot consultants.

Claude,

We have spoken to our chief Saab consultant (Captain), and here is his response....

"No aircraft that I know of, can have the AP mode changed by simply rotating the hdg knob.  The Saab will NOT change from NAV to HDG by rotating the hdg knob under any circumstances."

Just to be clear, we asked him about the CHP dial as well as the turn knob.  He stated that neither of these change the autopilot "mode" when used.

Edited by JGregory