New GPU

Oliver

For a few months I've been contemplating picking up a new GPU and PSU for my desktop that runs XP. Unfortunately, my current PSU was only 460w so it wouldn't run anything higher than my current AMD 6850 with 1gb of vram. Yesterday I picked up a new 750w Thermaltake PSU and I also ordered a new XFX R9 290x with 4gb of Vram.

Although it's a relatively newer card, does anyone here use it in their setup? I'd be curious to see the results they're getting. My goal isn't really to max out XP. Just to gain some FPS on top of increased details.

Current setup is: Intel Core I7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, AMD Radeon HD6850 with 1GB DDR5 Vram, 10GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5TB HDD.

Olivier C.

I have the r9 290x msi lighting, but it's on a z97 board with i4790 cpu. I had to replace an 850 watt PSU with a 1250 watt to keep the card from shut downs. With your CPU I do not think you will see a lot of difference as X-Plane is so bound to the CPU. You could look at it as an investment in the future though....:)

tomcat357

I have the r9 290x msi lighting, but it's on a z97 board with i4790 cpu. I had to replace an 850 watt PSU with a 1250 watt to keep the card from shut downs. With your CPU I do not think you will see a lot of difference as X-Plane is so bound to the CPU. You could look at it as an investment in the future though.... :)

tomcat357

Thanks for the feedback! I think the CPU is going to be changing before the end of the month...  :P

Olivier

• 1 month later...