Metal for Mac

3saul

Cameron's right that we can't even think about Metal until X-Plane offers support for it. However, I honestly don't think it would offer anything close to the grandiose performance benefits Apple is promising. SkyMaxx Pro already uses a lot of tricks and extensions within OpenGL to avoid the performance bottlenecks Metal aims to eliminate. Improving performance on MacOS would be much better served by offering more powerful GPU's on Mac desktop systems; most MacOS performance problems reported with SkyMaxx Pro are due to insufficient video memory.

So, changing SkyMaxx Pro to make more efficient use of limited video memory would probably have a bigger performance impact than moving to Metal. SkyMaxx Pro 3 will do that, by the way.

Personally I would prefer that Apple adopt Vulkan, like everybody else. Speaking as a developer, I'd rather not be forced to learn an entire new programming language (Objective C) and API (Metal)! I'm hoping they will support both in the end.

...most MacOS performance problems reported with SkyMaxx Pro are due to insufficient video memory.

So, changing SkyMaxx Pro to make more efficient use of limited video memory would probably have a bigger performance impact than moving to Metal. SkyMaxx Pro 3 will do that, by the way.

I'd think that Skymaxx would be more taxing on pixel fill rate than VRAM... maybe I'm wrong about that though.

I'd think that Skymaxx would be more taxing on pixel fill rate than VRAM... maybe I'm wrong about that though.

It depends. The thing is, once you run out of VRAM and start swapping memory, you're pretty much done from a performance standpoint. A lot of people are running close to that wall as it is, especially when you're running with custom scenery. Fill rate can be the bottleneck before you hit that point, but it's nowhere near as bad of a penalty. And from what I understand, Metal can't really do anything about fill rate.

Edited by sundog

• 5 years later...
On 6/21/2015 at 4:51 PM, Cameron said:

Not until X-Plane uses it first (which will probably be unlikely on a large scale).

On 6/22/2015 at 4:32 AM, sundog said:

Cameron's right that we can't even think about Metal until X-Plane offers support for it. However, I honestly don't think it would offer anything close to the grandiose performance benefits Apple is promising. SkyMaxx Pro already uses a lot of tricks and extensions within OpenGL to avoid the performance bottlenecks Metal aims to eliminate. Improving performance on MacOS would be much better served by offering more powerful GPU's on Mac desktop systems; most MacOS performance problems reported with SkyMaxx Pro are due to insufficient video memory.

Personally I would prefer that Apple adopt Vulkan, like everybody else. Speaking as a developer, I'd rather not be forced to learn an entire new programming language (Objective C) and API (Metal)! I'm hoping they will support both in the end.

API (Metal)! I'm hoping they will support both in the end.

Since X-Plane now supports Metal, is there any plan for SkyMaxx to support it as well?

Thanks

3 hours ago, mgurreta said:

Since X-Plane now supports Metal, is there any plan for SkyMaxx to support it as well?

Thanks

Apple does not allow for the proper OpenGl call access when Metal is in use, so we are unable to bring this to Metal. Laminar would need to have a Metal plugin SDK, and for now that's not on their table.