storms and fps drop

woodus

Hello,

with the summer, storms showing up more and more... real-weather.

today i ran in such a storm, and suddenly my frames dropped to about 2 fps... tried the usual...eliminated plugins and so on.

culprit was skymaxx, as soon as i deactivate sliverlining plugin frames are back to normaL, activate it, and fps droped again.

i run quit low skymaxx settings, no god rays, medium cloud settings.

with storms i mean, using 'global weather' and set the slider 'storms' greater than 0. -> the greater the value, the lower are my fps.

yosemite 10.10.3, XP 10.36, SM 2.1.1

am i the only one?

Greetings
René

its a iMac 2012 21', see log for details. is there a additional log for skymaxx?

loading xp at KSEA with the default Cessna, CAVOK 48 fps.

setting storms and precip to max. results in 2 fps.

deactivating silverlining brings the frames back.

pretty sure, this was not happening a while ago, not sure since when it shows up, maybe yosemite, maybe 10.36...

thanks for looking into it.

Log.txt

Edited by woodus

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same problem on My 2013 27' 3,5GHZ iMac with storms, only with storms. what to do? I have OS X YOSEMITE too and X-plane 10.36. When I desactivate SKYMAXX PRO, FPS are good with storm but when I reinstall SKYMAXX pro it goes down. Help

Thanx

I have 4 go VRAM. It comes from skymax pro because when I shut it down all comes back to normal fps.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if you're exhausting it. The bus on iMac graphics card is NOT big/fast. While X-Plane can and will run great in many scenarios on this machine, it is not a gaming machine with a gaming video card.

Please show a screenshot of your SkyMaxx Pro settings screen.

I have a lot of other add ons with a lot of graphics effects and no problems and it seems I'm not the only one to have the problem

I'm not sure I understand your point. Graphic card manufacturers, as well as Apple, mass produce products. I would not expect you to be the only one with an issue! You're failing to see the point. Your machine is not Godzilla. It can't handle everything.

For whatever reason you appear reluctant to provide what's being asked of you consistently. We can't help to offer solutions until you follow through. It's evident you don't like the technical explanation.

Trying to compare other add-ons to something that's pushing 3D to it's limits is like comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same, nor do they utilize or access the same items on a graphics card.

I send you the pics on private because I don't know how to post a picture

To upload pictures you need to click the "More Reply Options" box below the regular reply box you are using.

Please go run a test at an airport without scenery installed...no photoscenery, no HD Mesh if you have it, and no object scenery.

Im sure this issue is frustrating for you,  a couple of things....

1.System Specs?.....

2.X-Plane Rendering options.....

3.A comparison with SMP on/off showing FPS in a screenshot....

Help us to help you, I cannot duplicate this issue and it hasnt been spoken of other then an install issue above......

X-Plane 10.36 64bits

iMac i7 3,5 mghz ; 8 go Ram DDR3 ; Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M 4 Go Vram ; écran 2560x1440 ; Fusion drive 3To
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

when SMP on (with storm) : 19fps

When off : 50fps

when SMP on (without storm but rain, clouds, fog) : 50 fps

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=85713

post-24305-0-86372400-1434750711_thumb.j

post-24305-0-26964400-1434750713_thumb.j

Edited by pftlyon

It is possible you may need to adjust your rendering settings to accommodate your hardware ....... SkyMAXX isnt a free ride and storms will affect frames since more clouds are drawn as a result........

A few more questions, are you using HD mesh?  Is this heavy drop happening in areas where you are using orthos or third party scenery?

Are you setting these storms manually with high visibility?  

The reason Im asking these questions although your specs are decent, I wouldnt consider this MAC a powerhouse, some sacrifices will need to happen in order to tweak performance, again there are no free rides...... 

EDIT:

I cannot see your rendering options to make any suggestions BTW......But water reflections to low, world draw distance to medium and textures to high are a good start.....

Edited by JohnMAXX

It is possible you may need to adjust your rendering settings to accommodate your hardware ....... SkyMAXX isnt a free ride and storms will affect frames since more clouds are drawn as a result........

A few more questions, are you using HD mesh?  Is this heavy drop happening in areas where you are using orthos or third party scenery?

Are you setting these storms manually with high visibility?  

The reason Im asking these questions although your specs are decent, I wouldnt consider this MAC a powerhouse, some sacrifices will need to happen in order to tweak performance, again there are no free rides...... 

EDIT:

I cannot see your rendering options to make any suggestions BTW......But water reflections to low, world draw distance to medium and textures to high are a good start.....

I don't use HD mesh. And this mac is enough.

I dont' think I need to adjust my settings. They work well will all others add-ons I have which need good fps too (JAR A320, photorealistic sceneries, RTH, fly with lua...) and I can add more with not so much fps drop. Only SMP with storm causes problems. Then SMP was supposed to make better FPS... what It did before. But I think I will soon remove skymaxx pro until an new version available because it is THE problem. Then If you have a solution I'll take it. 

Let me follow up with there is nothing wrong with smp....Of course storms are going to demand more resources, it sounds as if your hardware is being pushed to the limit and tanking when storms are introduced....

If you are not willing to try and understand that, then I'm afraid I cannot help you anyway....