Incorrect location on moving map

aquince

Sorry if this is a duplicate - did a quick search through the forum and didn't see this issue addressed.  When I start up X-Plane I'm parked on the ramp at KAPA.  But, the moving map shows me 0.5 mile west of the airport.  NRST brings up a list of airports, including KAPA at a distance of 0.5 miles.  This issue is unique to the Corvalis, including stock X-Plane craft and a payware Baron.  I'm on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

Any thoughts?  Thanks for your help!

I don't think there is anything wrong here.  It would have helped to know where exactly you were parked at the airport (KAPA).  The latitude and longitude of the location of the airport is where the distance is measured from.  It is quite possible to be parked 0.5 miles away from that point.  Airports are rather large :)  If you want to verify this, in the X-Plane menus go to Location -> Local Map.  Then click on the airport symbol on the map and in the upper right of your screen there will be data displayed, including the distance you are from that point.  This should match the Corvallis map display as well as the Nearest Airport data on the Corvallis PFD.

This is NOT a unique problem with the Corvalis.  I checked the Corvallis at KAPA and it matched X-Plane's data exactly.  I can't speak for other payer airplanes, but the all the stock aircraft should match the Corvalis.  If you have a specific example with details, I will check it out.  

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the data when I get back to the computer and let you know what I find. I do a ramp 5 start, which is east of the runways near the tower toward the north end. The fact that the map was showing me .5 miles west is what had me questioning the position, but I will check the numbers.

Thanks!

OK, so I set up the Corvallis at Ramp Start #5 at KAPA.  Attached is a screenshot of the Corvallis showing the Nearest Airports on the PFD and the Map on the MFD.  The Nearest Airports shows KAPA to be 0.5nm away, and the map shows approximately the same (at the 0.5nm ring).

I have also attached a screenshot of the X-Plane Local Map.  As you can see (circled in red) the distance from the airport is 0.5nm, exactly the same as what the Corvalis is calculating.

post-213-0-06481000-1431177635_thumb.png

post-213-0-98311200-1431178110_thumb.png

Edited by JGregory