New to X-Plane

SUAS14

Greetings,

I have long history in FS the last 2 yrs being exclusively in P3D. A long-time rw flyer I feel it's high time I explored X-Plane.

Sorry, I'm finding the marketing a bit confusing.  Can some kind soul advise me on where best way to acquire or buy the programme. And if possible, recommended add-ons to get started with. I am English (retired) and living in Spain. Not fluent in Spanish, so I normally order from the UK if they ship to Spain. I prefer downloads.

I am confused about Scenery. Is it actually an 'add-on' (as in multiple DVDs)? or does it 'generate its own'?  I have seen both advertised. What's the 'Best Of'? What's 'Global'? What's the difference? Where does Aerosoft fit into the picture?  No problem, I like Aerosoft but is their offering different to X-Plane 10?  An what is X-Plane 11?? 

I'm keen, any assistance gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Gareth

Edited by SUAS14

Hi Gareth, welcome to the world of X-Plane

1. The best place to purchase X-Plane is probably here (ships from the U.S). You can either purchase the DVD's or you can get it on Steam (download). You could also try Amazon and see if they ship from the UK.

2. I would recommend looking at this post on Avsim about some add-ons to get, and, assuming you like to fly in Europe you should take a look at TDG's airports. For some payware aircraft, I would suggest the LES saab 340, Flight Factor 757/777/A350, SSG 748, FlyJsim 727/732, Jar Design A330, and some Coronado's. Those are just a few of my favorite aircraft, but their are many more available. A few more aircraft that aren't out yet, but will hopefully be soon are the PMDG DC-6, IXEG 737-300, and the Rotate MD-88.

3. When you buy X-Plane you either get 8 DVD's which include the default aircraft and terrain, or, if you bought from Steam you download the terrain DLC separately, but you don't pay extra. It includes a few hundred default airports as well. You can then download more scenery for airports, buildings or more detailed terrain from places like here, x-plane.org, and flightsim.com. Aerosoft has provided a few default airports for x-plane, all in Europe.

4. X-Plane 11 will (most likely) be the next version of X-Plane. I'd expect it to be released sometime between 2016-2018, but I don't know for sure.

If you have any more question, feel free to ask,

Jon

Edited by x-plane 123

There is no X-Plane 11.

There is nothing from any credible source concerning this. In fact, all the developers are still talking about release .40 of X-Plane 10; which is due in the next 3-6 months -- with lots of roadmap items still to come.

If you decide to "wait" for xplane 11, you will likely be waiting 4-5 or more years, if they release Something called "version 11.x". Some are also thinking currently is that XP10 may actually just be the "only" version ever, and all new features are simply "point upgrades"

You can track a TON of new features that have been added since XP10.00 in 2011 - these arent just bug fixes but entirely new functions which have been added in the past 4 years or so here:

http://www.x-plane.com/types/release-notes/

And here:

http://developer.x-plane.com

If we follow the current rollout "point release" to time, it has taken 42 months to get from 10.00 to 10.35

By extrapolation (simple calc I know) that would imply it should take ~83 months to get to XP10.99, which is about 7 years from inception-- So, XP11.x MAY be somewhere around 2019-2020.

TL;DR: Buy it Now. It may be next decade if you "wait" for XP11.x =)

Edited by chris k

G'day Chris and Ben, thank you for your input. I understand the situation re. X-Pane 11!

I tried a ver 9 demo years ago and decided it was too quirky for me. But soon after my original post in trhis forum discovered there's a ver 10 demo, which I then installed. To be sure, X-Plane 10 is impressive in many ways. For the moment though I am trying to get to grips with basic things like controls, views and the 'strange' menu system. Bit like learning a new langauge. So far, love the sloping runways and aerodynamics. Early days though ... 

Thanks again for all your help guys,

Gareth

LEAL

• 1 month later...

Hi... I am looking on how to do an Autopilot landing with Heinz Commanche Plane.  I have been on youtube and looked at dozens of "tutorials", however they all seem to be for Heavy Metal Airliners and the cockpits are not the same. 

In line with this, I need to know how to "intercept" a glidescope. How do I know if I am on it?

Thank You

digitalpaul

paulsnewemail@yahoo.com

I spent a lot of hours experimenting and solved the problem myself (no one else answered me)

I am posting what I did and hope it helps someone else.

X-Plane 10 ILS AutoPilot Landing Tutorial by Paul Jordan

This Tutorial makes the assumption that you know how to land your plane Manually

I am using the Heinz Commanche for this Tutorial. For other planes the instruments might be placed differently but you should be able to find them. Flight Director is another name for the autopilot.

- On the top line menu of X-plane, click on Location/Select Global Airport

- Select PHNL and then Select Runway 04R at 3mn

- Your plane will be pointed at the runway at an altitude of about 1000ft.

Hit the PAUSE button and do the following

Select the 3D cockpit view to make your settings. Zoom in to better see what you are doing.

In the Commanche all the instruments you need are located to the right of the 6-pack guages.

The GPS is located on top. Underneath that are the radio selector switches

- Set the radio to NAV1 by clicking on it. A light will go on next to it indicating it is set.

- Underneath the selection switches are two radios.

- Set the NAV1 radio (Top right by clicking on the knob under the display

(The big knob changes the whole number. The little knob changes the decimals)

Set the NAV1 radio to the ILS frequency of PHNL runway 04R to110.50

To find the ILS frequency of any Airport Runway

-  Click on Location (top menu) then Local map.

-  On the right side of the map, make sure show the ALL ILS box is checked

-  Long Arrow Like markings will be displayed for the runways that have ILS

- At the point of the arrow will be a box with the runway number and the

frequency of the ILS for that number

- Set that number in the NAV1 Radio

-Underneath the radios is the AUTOPILOT.  Enlarge the view so you can set the following

- Click on LOC and G/S (Glidescope ) Buttons... They will light up

- On top of the G/S light is the ON/OFF Knob of the Autopilot

Turn this knob by clicking on it to the AUTO position on the far right.  If you do not do             this, it will not work

UnPAUSE and the autopilot will take over control of your plane.

NOTE:  All the Autopilot does is point you in the right direction and start bringing your plane down.  You must MANUALLY set the flaps, lower the landing gear, and adjust your speed.

If you are lucky the plane will land itself, however, I have found that you may need to flair the plane manually just before the wheels hit the ground or the plane will crash into the runway.

Follow the same procedure using any airport and ILS runway.  I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...