PMDG Development Update Thread

Tom Knudsen

Am I the only one around, who really doesn't care for the long drawn out revelation BS?

Seriously, it has taken years for them to say what they have been working on.  I really couldn't care less whether or not a developer is working on something, that may be released at some point, that will be announced at a future date, that will be a game changer...

Just announce the damn thing, all at once, when you're close to releasing it for sale.  I find the drawn out release process to be annoying, rather than exciting, and as a matter of fact, I tend to ignore the news flash updates, when they do arrive. 

Flame away.   :rolleyes:

It's a big deal because they are revered throughout the FSX community.  Some developers feel threatened by them, but the fact is, if they continue to bring people from FSX to X-Plane, it will grow OUR community very quickly.  For developers who feel threatened, they have to think about the potential customers PMDG brings.  As well as any NEW customers Laminar gets from X-Plane sales, which only serves to motivate Laminar to push forward with X-Plane 11, 12 and however more versions they can come out with.  This is a very positive step for X-Plane, any way you look at it.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1

Certainly brining new customers into X-Plane, will be a good thing for Laminar.

But it is my opinion, that just because someone or some group is revered for what they have done with regards to one sim, doesn't mean a damn thing at all when they step into a different arena.  PDMG may be the greatest thing since sliced bread for FSX, but who the hell are they in the eyes of the X-Plane community?  

I've gotten on just fine with the variety of developers in X-Plane so far...

And you'll get along even better with more!

I, too, dislike the drama surrounding their style of announcements. Which is why I don't really pay attention to it. Doesn't matter to me until the product is released, vaporware until then. Nonetheless, I'm also really looking forward to this release. A well-built DC-6 simulation (even if a DC-6 is not your thing) is a bajillion times better than the alternative of nothing at all...

• Upvote 1

But it is my opinion, that just because someone or some group is revered for what they have done with regards to one sim, doesn't mean a damn thing at all when they step into a different arena.  PDMG may be the greatest thing since sliced bread for FSX, but who the hell are they in the eyes of the X-Plane community?  

While I agree with your sentiment about the announcement style, it is still a developer that has set a bar for itself and it's products. They will no doubt try to reach that bar on the X-Plane platform, which should be a good thing for the consumer :)

Well they have not done anything at all in X-Plane, but still they have alot of power in the simulation world.  When apple refused to implement flash into iphones, Adobe laughed at first but finally succumbed and now html5 is the dominating standard on mobile phones.  Diablo 3 was the icebreaker for the dreaded always-on DRM, Blizzard pushed through and nowadays it is pretty much accepted for AAA games. So what does that have to do with x-plane ?

Well a few month ago out of nowhere new datareefs for props got added into x-plane. While you never will get confirmation my guess is simply that PMDG where not happy with the old way props where simulated and that alone was enough for Austin to improve the simulation.  So if just announcing development for x-plane has enough wheight at Laminar to change things, i see it as a good thing and tbh they have a track record of beeing extremly pendantic about getting it right or not doing it at all.  And if that is pushing Laminar to improve the sim then i am all but happy.

Well a few month ago out of nowhere new datareefs for props got added into x-plane. While you never will get confirmation my guess is simply that PMDG where not happy with the old way props where simulated and that alone was enough for Austin to improve the simulation.

My bets are this had nothing to do with PMDG and more to do with the collective community "bitching" in Laminar's ear. There were a number of people who were very persistent about this with Austin and finally got his attention. Austin tends to treat everyone relatively fairly. PMDG is no different to him than me or even you. And I know that first hand.

My bets are this had nothing to do with PMDG and more to do with the collective community "bitching" in Laminar's ear. There were a number of people who were very persistent about this with Austin and finally got his attention. Austin tends to treat everyone relatively fairly. PMDG is no different to him than me or even you. And I know that first hand.

fair enough, i trust you there more then my gut feeling. Still think though that someone pushing for excellence is never a bad thing.

It's a big deal because they are revered throughout the FSX community.  Some developers feel threatened by them, but the fact is, if they continue to bring people from FSX to X-Plane, it will grow OUR community very quickly.  For developers who feel threatened, they have to think about the potential customers PMDG brings.  As well as any NEW customers Laminar gets from X-Plane sales, which only serves to motivate Laminar to push forward with X-Plane 11, 12 and however more versions they can come out with.  This is a very positive step for X-Plane, any way you look at it.

I don't know. With a sudden influx of new users from FSX, that could also be a bad thing as well. FSX has 3 different payware versions of the Boeing 757-200, while X-Plane only has one, and it's better than all 3 combined. What I'm getting to is that with new customers, they'll be bringing that "we want something easy" attitude over from FSX. We'll also be getting tons of eye candy with no real system depth. Just look at the ATR72-500. McPhat Studios isn't lying with their slogan; Eye Candy Simmin'. I know we won't get this from PMDG, but we're definitely gonna get it if other developers from FSX come over.

You might be surprised.

PMDG are the most successful developers in FSX because of their attention to detail in aircraft systems.

I meant we won't get eye candy with no system depth from PMDG. Sorry, I should've been a bit more specific. I'm looking forward to PMDG; especially a decent 747-400 from them. Honestly though, I'd like a 747-200 more from FlyJSim. I've noticed one thing though, the qulaity of their textures is almost the same as FlyJSim.

Generally speaking competition is a good thing, and PMDG will certainly raise the levels in many respects I think.

I for one am looking forward to this entry of PMDG into the X-Plane arena, but I do hope that they also will respect our tradition in pricing  ;)

Edited by Scorpio47

When apple refused to implement flash into iphones, Adobe laughed at first but finally succumbed and now html5 is the dominating standard on mobile phones.

….and yet, Flash still does not work on iPhones.  Not many people using Flash nowadays, but it's the principle.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic…...

In the end I believe many are sceptic to PMDG, so we just need to see what kind of quality they finally deliver and if I know PMDG as good as I think I do, will see a release in about 4-5 years..

If PMDG takes that long to release their 737NG, they'll be left in the dust by current XP developers. I can see Flight Factor or FlyJSim making a 737NG well within that time period.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with that. FlyJSim aircraft are perfectly fine for "sunday flying on IVAO", but when you want to simulate non-standard flying conditions (like turn on the flight director without turning on the autopilot or some emergencies) then you are out of luck. FlightFactor aircraft are not on the same level as PMDG with visuals and quality of documentation (I mean Sukhoi, 777 and 757; can't speak about the Airbus - I'm not buying that aircraft until SIDs/STARs are simulated - it's not DC-3 or SAAB340A).