Custom vs. Out of the box PC's & X-Plane

ksmith22

Just wondering what people's thoughts were regarding this topic. I'm currently in the market for a new PC and I'm wondering what other people's opinions are regarding x-plane and how it's preformed for them.

When I purchased x-plane 10 I was sent a link to x-force website http://xforcepc.com/store/index.php/computers.html/ Never heard of them before but I took a look and was impressed that somebody actually built custom PC's for x-plane however I was a little dismade by the fact that absolutely no one had posted any reviews of their products. Has anyone here ever heard of them or have any opinions on their products?

It seems like a lot of serious x-plane users either build their own systems or I guess buy custom made ones. Personally, I've been using Dell products for over 30 years and although I know they may not be the best platform for this application, I have an old Dell in my basement (Dell XPS 6301, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 CPU @ 2.50GHz, 6 GB RAM, running Windows Vista, 64-bit. with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) so far, at least using the demo version, x-plane seems to work fine. Probably not the best graphics quality but things run smooth with no hang ups or crashes.

Anyway..if anyone would care to comment or leave feedback that would be great. Thanks!

There is nothing special about X-Plane when it comes to hardware. It's important to have a sytem that is well balanced. Having a high end gpu will be of little use when combined with a best price CPU and vice versa. Going for a today's standard gamer-PC will do in most cases. No need for custom builds. Some hints, though:

- You will want a 64 bit OS (windows or mac)

- at least 8GB of Ram.

- 2GB of VRAM is also required as a minimum IMHO.

- Hyperthreading is of no use at all.

- Go for Nvidia and Intel (quadcore, high clock speed)

Flo

Edited by FloB

Thanks for that feedback! Currently, this is the new system that I've been considering...

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz) OK
Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English
Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2415 with C2G HDMI Cable OK
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs OK
2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s Replace with 512 gb SSD (If more storage needed add a terabyte drive)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3 Replace with nVidia GTX 760
Creative Sound Blaster® Recon3D PCIe OEM Sound Card (not sure how important, if any a sound card is to x-plane, perhaps the money would be better spent on a decent joystick or yoke)

Thanks for that feedback! Currently, this is the new system that I've been considering...

2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s Replace with 512 gb SSD (If more storage needed add a terabyte drive)
Creative Sound Blaster® Recon3D PCIe OEM Sound Card (not sure how important, if any a sound card is to x-plane, perhaps the money would be better spent on a decent joystick or yoke)

If I were you, I'd drop the CPU down to an i5-4690K and replace the 745 with a 4GB 290X. I've got an i5 and a GTX 670 (which is a little more powerful than the 760) and I'm GPU-limited most of the time.

• 2 months later...

Thanks - I am guessing you are not having any problems with 8.1 so I will upgrade from windows 7.

Hi john82088,

I might be too late here - but if you haven't upgraded, please Stand-By !

Do not pay to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8/8.1.

X-Plane 10 will not run any quicker on Windows 8.

Later this year when Microsoft releases Windows 10, all Windows 7 and Windows 8 Users will get an opportunity (1 year window) to upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users

Windows 10 at a Price you can't beat !

Howdy ksmith22,

Can you let us know how your Build turned out?

And what were your final component choices ?

Post some Pics - Thank You !