Outerra + XPlane = Perfect Marriage

Tom Knudsen

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

Are there any pictures or videos showing a city/urban area, agricultural area etc. It seems like outterra is all about mountains/woodland, sometimes showing a random village. Is that beyond the scope of outterra or just not_done_yet?

Flo

Been a long time user of X-Plane 10 and running it on a beast of a system and also using Real Terra Haze, Skymax and Reshade. Trust me, Outerra's rendering engine is leagues above XP10s. Real time atmospheric scattering, AO and ton of other things which gives the whole environment a very realistic feel that can't be achieved in X-plane 10 at the moment.

Take a look at this video

Notice how realistic the A380 looks in this video. That is because of how the light interacts with the aircraft surfaces. No need to bake textures anymore because everything is handled by the Sim's engine.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

TitanIM/Outerra at I/ITSEC 2015, posted by Titan CEO David Lagettie.

Many features/improvements for Titan translate back to Outerra, moving the engine forward. (Note langdon has also announced the capability of using Outerra as an Image generator for X-plane using his plugin)

Meanwhile the AH-64 project advances, with its aim of making Outerra even more suitable for the purposes of Aviation. The release will include:

AH-64D Apache Longbow, modelling and textures by KW71, programming and flight model by Uriah!
Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Washington State USA scenery (earth90), by Acetone!
Urban houses and buildings package, with textures by M7, and modelling by KW71 and Uriah!

The Apache features:
Olive Drab and Desert Tan liveries
Highly detailed and animated virtual cockpits for pilot and co-pilot/gunner
Extended controls for all available system functions
Navigation, anti-collision, and formation lights, and rotating searchlight
AH-64 JSBSim flight model [Work In Progress]
Turboshaft turbine engines, APU, start-up and shutdown
Electrical and aircraft sub-systems
Pilot analog instruments/indicators - Attitude, Speed, Altitude and Pressure indicators and Magnetic Compass
Four MFDs with dynamic elements

• FLT - Flight page, with Bank Indicator, Attitude Indication Pitch Ladder and Flight Path Vector
  • ADF - Automatic Direction Finder page, with Compass Rose and ADF Bearing Indicator
  • WPN - ARM/SAFE Status, Weapon Mode, Gun Status, Missile Launcher Rail Icons, Rocket Launcher Icons, Flares and Chaff Status
  • FCR GTM - Fire Control Radar Ground Targeting Mode

Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor (M-TADS/PNVS) with DTV, LLTV and FLIR sensor modes, and IR laser designator
TADS Head Mounted Display
30mm M230 Chain Gun (with basic ballistic computer)
Hydra-70 unguided rockets and AGM-114 Hellfire laser guided missiles

Flight Manual (PDF)
Built-in interactive training missions (flight, navigation and weapons employment)

Here is a preliminary demo video (with a since corrected Camera banking issue)

Edited by HiFlyer

I really try to see something that is not achievable today be X-Plane, and I cannot. I will not even mentioned what can be done when (probably) X-Plane adopts Vulcan. 

I try not to think of this as a competition, but as a matter of focus and potentials inherent in the different technologies.  :)

EDIT: As for vulcan, Outerra already runs so close to the hardware that the developers have said that the advantages will likely only be marginal. :unsure:

That being said, with all cores running on my Nvidia 770(2gig) and i7 920 with Outerra at relatively high settings: Clouds, shadows, ambient occlusion, turbulence, atmospheric scattering etc, etc, I can still get close to 100 fps while using only about 30% of the Cpu, leaving plenty available for AI and other things. I think those sorts of frames with those sort of effects are something every simulation fan should look forward too!

If Langdon really can get Outerra and X-plane working together, even with Outerra only acting as an IG, there just might be people who find it an interesting combination.

Edited by HiFlyer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for this Outerra topic.

Only because of this topic i downloaded the alpha. I have to say i am really impressed! Even on my laptop i get 40 or more fps, with visuals that are breathtaking.

Of course there seems much more to do, but i hope development will continue.

Greetings!

attachicon.gifscreen_1453114379.jpg

Yup, there is definitely much more to do. On the subject of frame rates however, the developers have just asked for some assistance from the simulation community in helping to optimize things even more. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3494.msg39609;boardseen#new

Edited by HiFlyer