SkyMaxx Pro 2.1.1 Has Been Released!

Cameron

My guess is that you're tight on GPU memory (VRAM) given that you're trying to run custom scenery and SkyMaxx Pro on a fairly low-memory video card. SkyMaxx Pro is probably just pushing your system over the edge, leading to unpredictable graphical errors like this.

So, fundamentally you need to reduce your VRAM usage. Turn off HDR, turn down the cloud detail and distance settings in SMP, turn off hi-resolution clouds in SMP, turn off Maxx-FX, run at a lower resolution, turn off antialiasing - whatever it takes to make your scene stable again.

Edited by sundog

My guess is that you're tight on GPU memory (VRAM) given that you're trying to run custom scenery and SkyMaxx Pro on a fairly low-memory video card. SkyMaxx Pro is probably just pushing your system over the edge, leading to unpredictable graphical errors like this.

So, fundamentally you need to reduce your VRAM usage. Turn off HDR, turn down the cloud detail and distance settings in SMP, turn off hi-resolution clouds in SMP, turn off Maxx-FX, run at a lower resolution, turn off antialiasing - whatever it takes to make your scene stable again.

Google translation (I speak French)

Sundog thank you, but your explanation is wrong!

Without SMP, the problems do not appear! In normal flight low resolution details, I fly with 30 fps on LSGS, which is correct (HDR is always off )

cWd24x.png

30 fps : LSGS without graphic Problem
dHTQQI.jpg

30 fps : LSGS without graphic Problem
SZfidg.jpg

I can even push the resolution to a very high level, the fps drop dramatically (15; 14 fps), thus unusable. But the design has no problems!

gxIr1Z.png

15 fps : Unusable, but without graphics issues
2P1oD4.jpg

14 fps : Unusable, but without graphics issues
PwLIe4.jpg

14 fps : Unusable, but without graphics issues
kr6pBD.jpg

If I install SMP, graphics produced "iridescent blue" bad impression! this even with a low level of resolution!
The proof is the fps to 35 or 40 !! The machine is clearly not push !!!!
Bt8vxd.png

LSGL : Hospital : 38 fps !!!!
vagczH.jpg

approaching LSGB : 40 fps !!!
APdtuN.jpg

approaching LSGB : 34 fps !!!
OtXOXF.jpg
LSGS Overview !! : 30 fps !!
T1q7BF.jpg

On the French site of X-Plane, other people with an AMD/Radeon  video card  had the same problem !!

So you will need to review your copy !!
Edited by Glah Salamanthe

Does the issue happen if you don't use your custom scenery? If it's not a VRAM issue, then there's something unusual about this custom scenery.

Bear in mind performance is not a direct indicator of your VRAM availability. 

SkyMaxx Pro has nothing to do with your terrain and buildings, unless it is drawing cloud shadows over them. Does it make a difference if you turn off cloud shadows in SkyMaxx Pro?

X-Plane also draws things very differently if HDR is on - you might try enabling it as it might actually clear up whatever conflict is going on.

Does the issue happen if you don't use your custom scenery? If it's not a VRAM issue, then there's something unusual about this custom scenery.

Bear in mind performance is not a direct indicator of your VRAM availability. 

SkyMaxx Pro has nothing to do with your terrain and buildings, unless it is drawing cloud shadows over them. Does it make a difference if you turn off cloud shadows in SkyMaxx Pro?

X-Plane also draws things very differently if HDR is on - you might try enabling it as it might actually clear up whatever conflict is going on.

Meanwhile, I republished my message to better highlight the problems!

If it's not a VRAM issue, then there's something unusual about this custom scenery.

As you can see, the problem appears in three different scene:

a  ) LSGL: it is a scene "Swiss Part 1" Daniel Gauthier and Scratt
b  ) close to LSGB: the image tile "zPhotoXP + 46 + 006_CH_Genf_bx17" of SimHeaven is reached (blue area in the distance)
c  ) This is the scene LSGS Turbine, available on the org!

So it is not a specific scene that poses problems!
Edited by Glah Salamanthe

I'm sorry you're unhappy, but I can't think of anything we can do. It seems like a system-specific issue related to hardware or the driver somehow.

Have you tried my suggestions of enabling HDR, disabling cloud shadows in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration, or turning down the cloud detail and distance settings in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration?

I'm sorry you're unhappy, but I can't think of anything we can do. It seems like a system-specific issue related to hardware or the driver somehow.

Have you tried my suggestions of enabling HDR, disabling cloud shadows in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration, or turning down the cloud detail and distance settings in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration?

I have tried to lower the settings in SkyMaxPro: the only change is obtained higher fps, but no change in the level of graphical errors!

The only thing I have not tried is the activation of HDR which penalizes too my computer.

I think that this is primarily a conflict with AMD / Radeon cards under Mac OS X (Most current Mac using Nvidia cards).
A person of the French site has x-plane.fr found the same problems as me on the Radeon card, even if it is 10.10 (Yosemite) and it flew a totally different area of the mine (La France)!

Is it possible to find an older version of SkyMaxPro (Version 1.3 for example?) I might try a downgrade of SMP

Thank you for the answer!

I don't have older versions of SMP available, but you might try writing to X-Aviation support to see if they do.

Unfortunately I don't think it will help - I do remember hearing about a similar issue when we first released SkyMaxx Pro; it just hasn't come up again since then. It does seem specific to this hardware configuration or driver when used in connection with custom scenery.

PC-MAC WAR MODE ON

it doesn't work cause you have a MAC, ghghgh i have your add on with a pc and it all works ok!!!

PC-MAX WAR MODE OFF

ahahah just joking, i'm sorry for your problem, but if i remeber well, i found that hdr on is obbligatory to use for some addon, i don't remember if it's skymax pro, ore world to xp, or someone else, but hdr is a must... 

i know that it hit hard fps.... witout hdr also with anti aliasing on i'm stucked to 50 60 fps, with hdr on ifr condition i go to 30 35 and it's is still playable, but if you have slower hardware i see that is a big problem.

Try to set on hdr, but put all other graphic down, and increase them little by little.

Comprimise for this game are necessary on ALL computer.

Try to set on hdr, but put all other graphic down, and increase them little by little.

Comprimise for this game are necessary on ALL computer.

PC-MAX WAR MODE OFF PERMANENTLY !! (I'm on Mac since 1984 and X-plane since version 6 !!!)

Hello!
Several times I was offered this solution!

But again, I regret the proposed choice!

Without HDR enabled, I fly in superb conditions with a level of detail and realism very high!
I regret having to sacrifice all this realism for HDR that ultimately does not offer me anything extra, except for atmospheric effects

PC-MAX WAR MODE OFF PERMANENTLY !! (I'm on Mac since 1984 and X-plane since version 6 !!!)

Hello!
Several times I was offered this solution!

But again, I regret the proposed choice!

Without HDR enabled, I fly in superb conditions with a level of detail and realism very high!
I regret having to sacrifice all this realism for HDR that ultimately does not offer me anything extra, except for atmospheric effects

i see your point of view, now i remembered, the addon that needs HDR is a320 Jardesign, so i don't know what to say to you, sry  :P
Edited by Viper04

The thing is, SkyMaxx Pro doesn't actually do anything differently when HDR is on or off (well, it slightly adjusts the cloud shadow intensity, but that can't be what's causing your problem.)

Like I said, this seems to be a very odd interaction between X-Plane, custom scenery, HDR being off, and your specific hardware and drivers. I cannot reproduce your issue on my own hardware, so I have no way of diagnosing or fixing it. I'm sorry but your choices for now are to choose between SMP, HDR, and your custom scenery - or get a new computer. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I just want to set realistic expectations here.

Edited by sundog

I'm jumping in late here but with smp disabled the artifacts go away?

Yes, as I have shown in this post:

First 7 images show X-Plane WITHOUT SMP!
Despite a level of detaill high (with 30 fps) and too high (15 fps), there is no blue artifact!

5 The following pictures are with SMP enabled!
Despite a very low graphics load (35-40 fps) blue artifacts are there!

The only thing I can suggest at this point is trying to roll back drivers or wait until ATI fixes the problem, I know not having a solution is frustrating but again its one of those situations where it is out of our hands.... And you know the level of support we give for SMP, this isnt us blowing you off either, we just cant account for this......

On the French site X-Plane, "sixberas" has also had the same problem and also determined that it was an issue with SMP

http://www.x-plane.fr/showthread.php?t=54770&p=450395&viewfull=1#post450395

Actually, an issue with your video card and the drivers for them. A 17 inch laptop is a few years old configuration wise. I believe this had already been explained to you. I love Apple products, but they aren't always the greatest with keeping drivers up to date...especially on old ATI cards.

• 4 months later...

i was just curious to read this forum thread and i'm surprised so many 'problems' are being reported.

i run xplane in 4k resolution, i have managed to achieve a decently acceptable and properly balanced visual and performance configuration and except than some usual fps drops that occurs in some of those popular payware highly detailed airports,

i can say the rest of the time i have never ever experienced any of those bizarre issues with SkyMaxx that are being exposed here, (i do use MaxxFxx too) not even in the latest beta 10.40b5...

most of you should assume your hardware specs are simply inadequate to run this high system resources demanding plugin properly.

Edited by Bernardo_Gui

Thanks Bernardo. SkyMaxx Pro is a very popular product, and when you have that many copies of a piece of software out there, you're bound to encounter some PC's with messed up X-Plane installations, old graphics drivers, bad filesystems, settings too high for their hardware, etc. Although many "problems" get reported and dealt with in this support forum, the reality is they represent a very small number of our customers - less than 1%. Everyone else is having a great experience with SkyMaxx Pro, as evidenced by our reviews & ratings.

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic