FPS drop looking at the sun

nordravn

I find the latest version of SMP really awesome and it has added so far a lot more realism for VFR flights  :)

Only problem I have is that when looking directly at the sun I have a sudden drop of about 10-15 FPS and I can't seem to find the problem. 

It's not a major issue if you fly from 11am to 2pm when the sun is high up in the sky and you never need to look up (I only fly helicopters), but it gets a little annoying if you fly early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the sun comes up or down near the horizon.

I usually have 35-45 FPS depending on where I'm flying, but when this "sun problem" comes up landing the AS350 or the Bell 407 with 20 FPS gets a little hard!

Has anyone experienced something similar?

By the way I disabled of course crepuscular rays, I have the lens flare effect ON, but that doesn't seem to affect this problem since I experience it with or without the lens flare effect.

I have an Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz with 4GB of ram, and Nvidia GTX970. I have absolutely no other problems with x plane apart from this one  :o

Hi there,

same problem here, directly looking at the sun gives me -15 fps.

crepuscular rays and lens flare off, and applied:-)

turning off the silverlight plugin gives me 35 fps again, switching it on again, drop to 20 fps.

i'm on a mac with 10.10.1, SMP 2.1

any ideas?

Greetings René

Hi there,same problem here, directly looking at the sun gives me -15 fps.crepuscular rays and lens flare off, and applied:-)turning off the silverlight plugin gives me 35 fps again, switching it on again, drop to 20 fps.i'm on a mac with 10.10.1, SMP 2.1any ideas?Greetings René

Can you tell us a little more about the make of your Mac?

I did notice what you are seeing.........  We will dive into it but initially my thoughts are the performance hit has to be with how the lighting interacts with SMP even if clouds are not present this is still there......

Back to how the system works and there are no free rides in software.....

As a comparison and under the same weather conditions SMP still out performed the default.  Again we will look at it deeper just my initial thought......

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having the fps drop when looking at the sun. I am getting a average 50 fps mid day or at night and when looking at the sun at dawn or dusk I get about 27 fps... The "god rays" and "lens flare" have been disabled. After disabling the lens flare, I get an improved fps of about 35 fps at dawn and dusk. 

I have i7 4770k OC @ 4.2 // GTX 780ti // 16gb RAM // Windows 8.1 

Edited by TXGrunt