Information on the NORCAL release

Cameron

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of my favorite shots of the upcoming NorCal scenery. This is late afternoon near Mt. Shasta, one of the southern-most peaks in the Cascade Mountain range, which extends from Canada, through the states of Washington and Oregon, and into northern California. One of the unique features of Mt. Shasta, is the dramatic rise above the surrounding terrain - almost 10,000 feet! This, combined with the fact that there are no other large Cascade mountains in the area, make Mt. Shasta the dominant landmark in far northern California.

post-72-0-33025700-1356837116_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-85480500-1356837124_thumb.jpg

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For those of you following the development of this release, I can assure you there is a lot going on with NorCal. Here is an overview of what has been done over the past few weeks:

• All the NorCal terrain has been redone, and all 300+ airports have been visually reviewed and updated.
  • I've worked with Ben Supnik to get a few bugs fixed in the software that Laminar provides for the terrain generation. This is now complete and the software has been producing great terrain output.
  • The programs to flatten the airports and remove elevation inconsistencies have been totally re-written, and the new flattening has been incorporated into the NorCal scenery.
  • Much improved terrain definition is now used in this upgrade to NorCal.
  • Every airport has been loaded in the simulator to make sure that it visually matches the underlying imagery, and that the airport is free of any elevation inconsistencies. This has been a very time-consuming process, but necessary to identify airports that needed updating. 
  • Many revisions and updates to the airports have been done. I'd estimate about 20% of the ICAO/FAA identification codes have changed. Many of these are for smaller, private airfields, but there are several changes to larger airports as well. Many airports have had upgrades to there layout including runways, taxiways, and ramp/apron areas.

There are only a few scenery areas remaining, so I hope to have everything completed very soon, then uploaded to X-Aviation.

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For all of you following the NorCal progress, lots of good news to share!

• All 300+ airports are done. Each was viewed in-sim to verify proper terrain flattening and matching of airport surfaces with the underlying imagery. Over 70 airports had some type of editing done to the runways, taxiways, ramp areas, or center lines. Many more had ICAO/FAA identification changes.
  • I've acquired new imagery for the Monterey and Carmel areas, including both the coast and areas inland. This is greatly improved from the original NorCal imagery, and I am in the process of updating over 1100 images. This is a beautiful area and features some world famous golf resorts including Pebble Beach as well as the cities of Monterey and Carmel.
  • We've got some additional surprises that are being worked on by other developers, too! We'll show you screenshots very soon of some of the new capabilities that we're putting into this scenery. This is unique to RealScenery products and will be done in future releases as well.

This release has really been about building the technology for the future, building on existing partnerships, and developing new ones. All of this speeds up the development of future releases, while dramatically increasing the level of realism for your flying. Stay tuned... :)

Below is a screenshot of the new Monterey area imagery, which I'm processing now. This it not the full-resolution imagery that you'll have in the released scenery. This is zoomed out to show a larger area. The area shows Carmel Bay, the Pebble Beach golf course, Stillwater cove, and the beautiful Pacific water and beach of Carmel Beach.

I haven't yet flown over this in X-Plane, but it should be outstanding! :)

Enjoy!

Eric
RealScenery.com

monterey_bay.jpg

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 1

The update to the Monterey area imagery is now complete. Here are several screenshots that highlight the beauty of this area south of San Francisco. This is the southern extent of the NorCal scenery.

Make sure to click each image for the full resolution taken within X-Plane.

Enjoy!

The beautiful Carmel Valley, west of the city of Carmel:

norcal_6-4-1_thmb.jpg

The coastal mountains south of Monterey:

norcal_6-4-2_thmb.jpg

Flying north along scenic California Highway 1 toward the cities of Carmel and Monterey:

norcal_6-4-3_thmb.jpg

The scenic beaches north of Point Sur:

norcal_6-4-4_thmb.jpg

Point Sur State Historic Park:

norcal_6-4-5_thmb.jpg

Approaching the beaches north of Point Sur from the west over the Pacific Ocean:

norcal_6-4-6_thmb.jpg

Flying east over the city of Carmel:

norcal_6-4-7_thmb.jpg

Over the city of Monterey, looking south toward Carmel and the famous Pebble Beach golf course:

norcal_6-4-9_thmb.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is the kind of scenery that will and is converting me completely over to X-Plane. I've only just very recently started to really see the benefits of X-Plane 10. I bought it, installed it but never really went back to it because of the scenery.

Thank you so much for putting out such fantastic products. I am really looking forward to all your future scenery's.

I have bought two scenery products from you so far and I intend to buy every single one of the present and future products.

Can't wait :)

Well, I almost feel like back tracking on what I said above. I purchased Washington and I'm having problems downloading it. I've emailed but no reply. Maybe I won't be buying anymore!!

Let me get this straight...

You send an email to us less than 24 hours ago. You send ANOTHER email within that same timeframe. Then you write three posts about non-responsiveness all within minutes of one another...

All of this after having previously bought scenery packs without hassle?

Emails are answered in the order received. Writing in multiple times will push your response time back based on last email received. Your patience is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Let me get this straight...

You send an email to us less than 24 hours ago. You send ANOTHER email within that same timeframe. Then you write three posts about non-responsiveness all within minutes of one another...

All of this after having previously bought scenery packs without hassle?

Emails are answered in the order received. Writing in multiple times will push your response time back based on last email received. Your patience is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Cameron,

I apologize for my out bursts on the forum.

And yes, I think I need to practice a little patience.

Sorry once again.

Kind regards

Craig

PS: Please delete any unwanted posts

Edited by cabnz1