SkyMaxx Pro 2.0 Has Been Released!

Cameron

An insane number of people have been installing SkyMaxx Pro 2.0. We appreciate all of your feedback!

SkyMaxx Pro does not set visibility, or do anything special at 10,000 feet. I think the problem here is that X-Plane only gives us a single visibility value, so if there is different visibility at different altitudes that information is not exposed to us. We do increase visibility of the clouds a bit as altitude increases to compensate for this, but for now that's the best we can do with what X-Plane tells us.

If I told you, it would ruin the illusion!

If this bothers you, set the cloud puff rotation setting to zero in the Skymaxx Pro configuration and the shadows will match up with the clouds perfectly. As you said, this is only really noticeable if you're on the ground and there happens to be a shadow where you are. Still, it is a little thing that bothers me as well, and it's likely to be addressed in a later update.

Shadows are applied in exactly the same manner over water and land, but I agree they seem more noticeable on the water for some reason. I haven't been able to prove it, but I think the lack of features on the water creates an illusion that makes the edges of the shadows stand out more to your eye.

I think this might be an issue related to certain beta versions of X-Plane 10.30 as opposed to a SkyMaxx Pro issue. I do remember seeing this in 10.30 beta 7, but I just tried some tests with changing visibility in beta 8 and it seems to work fine now.

You're welcome! Overall the response has been very positive, and we're enjoying seeing all of the gorgeous screenshots popping up everywhere featuring SkyMaxx Pro 2.0.

Thank you Frank, just for info, the visibility issue is with X-P 10.25. 

With MAXX FX and new skymaxx pro, plane looks awsome. 

Philippe 

I would love to know what this means. We're very responsive and just gave away a massive upgrade free of charge to existing customers after a lengthy and thorough beta testing run. Please do elaborate.

Sorry, but I was at work. 

I'm not good with English, I hope to be clear enough 
I have Xplane 10.30b8
So here is the bug in order of importance: 

1 The problem of visibility of the different clouds of SMP with the one set by the weather which is absolutely unreal. You are able to fix it, you have managed to create an independent system for the shadows, lens flare, rotation of the clouds etc then you do not find excuses. 

2 The lens flare is a killer frame rate, lower 7% of fps for 4 circles of light. 

3 The shadows of the clouds at random times become excessively dark, regardless of the value set in the options. 

4 Again, the shadows of the clouds to the limits of visibility, disappear with clear lines instead of gradually fade. 

5 At dusk / morning instead of the color of the clouds become dark / light gradually, it becomes immediately. 

6 With the storms or bad weather, the clouds are too bright 

7 The shadows with the sun low, are projected forward in the direction of the rays of course, but if you look from the opposite pastas there are no shadows. 

These are just the ones that come to my mind and I noticed in the first hour of testing last night! Now I am not fooling anyone, and I expect you to do the same. I demand a refund, or you solve these problems as you can see, there are indeed! From a product of $ 40, expect a quality 

Have your say
Edited by mat18590
  • Downvote 1

1.  This is a very uneducated and rude statement, this topic has be throughly discussed and Im not going to get back at it here....  

2. Obviously there is a bottleneck in your system,  in that case turn them off or figure out why you cannot run them....

3.  I have never seen this result and I will look for it but doubt it exists giving them time to reload? Or should it be immediate?  In that case go outside and stare at the clouds......

4. Set your world draw distance higher this happens with the terrain also and is not a bug in SMP but how XPX handles draw distance.....

5. Dawn dusk blending is greatly improved sure there is a transition at certain time periods......its almost immediate and not a distraction from the product.....

6. A matter of preference,  I think they look just fine....

7.Because of the angle of the sun,  this is a more realistic approach to cloud shadows where the angle of the sun has an impact on the shadows....

Sorry you feel the way you do,  but I think this is more your attitude and not really understanding how X-Plane works, SMP is a quality product that I stand behind along with a large user base.......Its a throughly tested product also.  I am supportive of any critiques but short fused on rude, angry rants that hold little merit......

• Upvote 1

Hi guys

I'm back here after a long time and want to first say thank you for all your efforts I really appreciate it! Honestly I unistalled SMP long time ago because I was using RTH since the improvements RTH was giving to my flying experience were so much more important than what the amazing SMP was giving instead. 

I also have discussed here in this forum the possibility that SMP could be implemented with new features such as clouds shadow and v2 came out like an Eastern egg with this awesome surprise for me. I once again want to tell you how much I evaluate your efforts in making this happen!

I believe that there is no reason for being enraged with you at all but I believe that the road of simply reporting issues with a moderate tone should be always pursued.

Having said all of that I have to agree 1000% with all the other users have reported.

And specifically what really popped to my eyes was:

1. The clouds are way too white and without details (greish details)

2. The shadow on the ocean are way off looking exactly like mat's post...very unrealistic. 

3. when there are clouds in the sky there is some sort of layer of colors added to the horizon and on the water It is extremely unpleasant! It resembles what RTH does but in a very unrealistic and cartoonish way.

4. Because of the above the overall look of the sky looks like a cartoon indeed.

I don't find any problem with the lens flare since it can be deselected and voila' no lens flare.

I also find a big fps improvement if compared to the same situation and amount of clouds without SMP.

So no... SMP it's not there yet but hey you've  already managed to have MOVING clouds (let's all not forget that these clouds are moving) and you've managed to have awesome low fps impact clouds with a good and much improved sunset color transition. I realize how difficult it is to make everyone happy with colors an stuff like that but honestly there are some undeniable facts here that should be addressed and I believe you are really capable of doing that since you came this far.

Please:

1. fix the color of the clouds

2. fix the shadows

3. disable the layer of added color saturation to the horizon or make it user selectable

Thanks!  :)

• Upvote 1

1.  This is a very uneducated and rude statement, this topic has be throughly discussed and Im not going to get back at it here....  

2. Obviously there is a bottleneck in your system,  in that case turn them off or figure out why you cannot run them....

3.  I have never seen this result and I will look for it but doubt it exists giving them time to reload? Or should it be immediate?  In that case go outside and stare at the clouds......

4. Set your world draw distance higher this happens with the terrain also and is not a bug in SMP but how XPX handles draw distance.....

5. Dawn dusk blending is greatly improved sure there is a transition at certain time periods......its almost immediate and not a distraction from the product.....

6. A matter of preference,  I think they look just fine....

7.Because of the angle of the sun,  this is a more realistic approach to cloud shadows where the angle of the sun has an impact on the shadows....

Sorry you feel the way you do,  but I think this is more your attitude and not really understanding how X-Plane works, SMP is a quality product that I stand behind along with a large user base.......Its a throughly tested product also.  I am supportive of any critiques but short fused on rude, angry rants that hold little merit......

I'm not being rude, but you do not want to refund me. For me, these bugs are not acceptable for a product by $ 40. It is not the fault of my system, I have an i5 3570k 4.5 ghz, r9 290 gigabytes, 12 gb ram and I run Xplane without problems. In the last 10.30 Xplane visibility is made ​​better. If you have problems Xplane, how come the shadows with Real Terra Haze or other scripts atmos, do not have these problems? 

I have shown the bug with the images that bear witness to them, and I will finish publicly display these bugs if you will refund me. 

However, I am not the only one unhappy. I know other people who think like me, just that they have less courage to say it, or resign themselves because they know that they will refund them.
Edited by mat18590
  • Downvote 2

What bugs? Im still confused.......

We provide a great deal of information on SMP, you bought it decided you were not happy with it and now are creating these series of "Bugs" to justify a refund?   

It is a great deal of information but hides the problem number 1 That the visibility of the clouds, I do not care that it is a problem of Xplane, just because you set the clouds on CAVOK when you pass 10,000 feet. I worked to make RTH, so I know what I'm saying. You can not look at the horizon cloudless when in reality they are set. Including thunderstorms, is not a matter of taste. The storms do not have white clouds, but they are dark and bad. If I had known about these 2 details unreal, I would not have bought it. Closed the speech. You do not want to reimburse me? You will have a very very unhappy customer of your product. And there is no have it with you, because I have urbanmaxx and maxxfx, and am very happy. I have not requested a refund for those, because I like them. But this Skymaxx no. For me it is not worth the $ 40 I spent. have a nice day

Edited by mat18590
  • Downvote 1

OK well all I am going to offer is contacting X-Aviation with your concerns.....again I fail to see any problems, just tested the shadow intensity issue you claim to have and I do not see a problem on my end......

Im sorry you feel the way you do and you had a different set of expectations over the well documented and tested product SMP is.  

Again I think its time you contact X-Aviation and discuss your problems with them....

3. when there are clouds in the sky there is some sort of layer of colors added to the horizon and on the water It is extremely unpleasant! It resembles what RTH does but in a very unrealistic and cartoonish way.

Don't know if it helps , but try this :

go the silvirlining config file and edit this value

default-turbidity = 1

by default it's 2.2 , change it to 1 , as I remeber it fixes like a fog layer in the distance , maybe it'll do it .

OK well all I am going to offer is contacting X-Aviation with your concerns.....again I fail to see any problems, just tested the shadow intensity issue you claim to have and I do not see a problem on my end......

Im sorry you feel the way you do and you had a different set of expectations over the well documented and tested product SMP is.

Again I think its time you contact X-Aviation and discuss your problems with them....

I contacted x aviation, and he told me cameron. I'm sure you have already read everything here

Honestly I really don't care now I can see through the farse......way to extend X-Plane.....

Its a shame RTH is a great product from what I can see......

I'm sorry I did not understand what you wrote, but if you do not believe me go see on org in the credits of RTH , you'll see that there is a mat18590. that's me. however, I am very sorry for before, but what I said about Smp I think really. It also has its advantages of course, but I expected more. Edited by mat18590

Its all good Im glad I can understand whats going on and I think anyone of moderate intelligence will also.......

I have been around this community long enough and have a very deep understanding of the politics involved with it......

Unfortunately it has been known to drive good people away who want to enjoy the hobby without specific pressures......

I should have probably done more testing before posting my list of problems with v2 because I just realize that the problem with the excessive saturation of the sky at the horizon is not SMP fault but the result of RTH with the new 10.30b8. I should have tried b8 without SMP first so my fault on this. It appears that RTH now it's all messed up with b8 and one has to adjust the settings again to make it work with beta 8. So I'm only blaming you for the clouds and shadows ok?  :D  :D  :D

Edited by flydav

I should have probably done more testing before posting my list of problems with v2 because I just realize that the problem with the excessive saturation of the sky at the horizon is not SMP fault but the result of RTH with the new 10.30b8. I should have tried b8 without SMP first so my fault on this. It appears that RTH now it's all messed up with b8 and one has to adjust the settings again to make it work with beta 8. So I'm only blaming you for the clouds and shadows ok?  :D  :D  :D

Quite alright! LOL wait what issues are you having with the cloud shadows?  I got XPX fired up now lets look into this.........

When I am at high altitude like Fl240 then I get bad FPS all of sudden. Any idea what I could change? I tried out most of skymaxx settings to low but nothing really changed.

EDIT: Nvm. I reduced the cloud draw distance, and that helped a lot!

Edited by xflyer231

The issue with the shadows is only on the water, the shadows look unreal maybe you need to put an extra slider to control the intensity so one for ground shadows and one for water shadows.

I feel they should be less sharp and defined besides the intensity. For example if you put a cloud layer at 2000' and put your plane much higher than that you will see all these shadows on the ocean right under the clouds actually you will see the clouds, the reflections of the clouds, and the shadows, and the way these three things look when they are together it's not convincing to my eyes.

Please look also at Mat's screens I believe he's right about the shadows.

Ok I did go into SKyMAXX Settings, did not change anything, and clicked on X. It loads and bam fps goes down to 9 where it was previously at 25.

EDIT: I found out that there are some performance issues that I think can be fixed. When I fly on high altitude and the next "tile" of the map gets loaded, my FPS goes down to 5 since the weather is being regenerated/rendered. If I go to plugin enable/disable and disable and renable silverlining, my fps goes up to 25 and stays there until the next tile gets loaded again. Same thing happens when I load one airport, wait until the weather gets rendered and switch to a completely different airport. Reenabling the addon helps to fix the issue.

Edited by xflyer231

When you close the settings dialog, or when new weather conditions come in, SkyMaxx Pro may need to "grow" a new cloud layer. Generally this only takes a moment, but you may see this as a brief framerate hiccup when it happens - and framerate may be slightly lower for a few seconds while the old layer fades out and the new one fades in. To minimize this, lower your cloud draw distance - and if you've been playing with SMP's configuration settings, you may want to try deleting the resources/plugins/silverlining/settings.dat file prior to running X-Plane in order to go back to the defaults, which are tuned for best performance. I've never seen a permanent framerate drop like you're describing, so I suspect something's going on with your settings - that or you are running perilously close to running out of memory on your system.