PMDG Development XPX update

Push_IT_Up

Seems XPX will be seeing their first look......

"PMDG Development for Xplane:

We are nearing completion on our first project for Xplane! As we have previously mentioned, this project is designed to be a development catalyst to help us learn how to work with that platform more effectively- and it has been a great exercise thus far.

We will be unveiling the project sometime in the next 60 days (estimated) and we will also announce the second project for Xplane at that time..."

• Upvote 3

It's great news and more exposure for XPX, in that; the true die hard PMDG fans could possible migrate, whereby increasing the sim's user base, and at the same time expose the new comers to all the great add-ons that's already available and projects in the works.

You'll be disappointed, they have confirmed they won't migrate any of their legacy products. Maybe the 747 V2 could be in the works though.

Which makes me wonder if they're not doing the DC-6 for both XPX and FSX, since it sounded like they were going for release awhile ago. That would be fantastic. But man, 747-400 would be wicked awesome too!

Which makes me wonder if they're not doing the DC-6 for both XPX and FSX, since it sounded like they were going for release awhile ago. That would be fantastic. But man, 747-400 would be wicked awesome too!

Indeed! Looks like the DC-6 could be a multi-platform release. I'm also hoping they will announce the 747 V2 as their next in-line.

If they release the DC-6 that would be the ultimate. Four big noisy radial engines that were specifically developed to convert avgas into noise. The only onboard computer is the one in the pilot's, or navigator's, pocket and its all navaid to navaid or dead recking navigation.

What more could one ask for.

• Upvote 1

If they release the DC-6 that would be the ultimate. Four big noisy radial engines that were specifically developed to convert avgas into noise. The only onboard computer is the one in the pilot's, or navigator's, pocket and its all navaid to navaid or dead recking navigation.

What more could one ask for.

I'll bet $10 that people ask for a GPS or FMC retrofit within about 5 seconds of release.

I'll bet $10 that people ask for a GPS or FMC retrofit within about 5 seconds of release.

Goran never put one in his DC-3 and everyone's fine with that...or did he receive requests? :lol:

Anyways, Mr. Randazzo is a retired (I believe) airline pilot and he probably owns a GA aircraft. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they are modeling. I'd actually be quite happy if this were the case.

I've been flying the FlyJSim 737-200 navaid to navaid and it is enjoyable to say the least. Can't see much fun in a FMS and just sitting there watching the screen. Did use the Civa INS a couple of times and that is about as computerized as I would want to go, occasionally.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Goran never put one in his DC-3 and everyone's fine with that...or did he receive requests? :lol:

I don't know actually, but the DC-3 works with KLN90, if I remember correctly (I haven't tried to fly with GPS for quite a long time). The GPS can be shown on the screen, shows your position and route.

Edited by eMko

The realities of the GPS situation. In the last 10, probably 15 years.......I haven't seen a real life classic, including warbirds, Connies, etc, that at least doesn't have a portable GPS on board. But that's for real life. Simming has other requirements to keep ones interest, because watching the scenery go by, isn't quite as exciting as real life scenery might be. I seldom use GPS for flight simming. For real life aviation, I'm a GPS advocate......big time! Since I did start using moving map GPS in 1993, I wouldn't ever bother with something as antique as a KLN90. I even consider the Garmin 430s and 530s as old, considering a Garmin portable I had years ago, had much better computing power and resolution.

Being realistic, in todays real life aviation.....GPS does replace the navigator. And with more precision, than was ever possible with the VOR system. Let alone the systems that predated that system. You don't need that 3rd flight member to keep track. You're now within 3'of your actual location with the GPS screen. Altitude with WAAS and comparible systems is even more accurate than barometric altitude, if you need to miss the nearest mountain. Weather, winds, terrain mapping, and altimeter settings are available for hundreds of miles in all directions. And that's with just a quick glance at the screen. Especially useful for all of the restricted areas, that are in my part of the world. Mostly military. And for what it's worth, a friend of mine, who flies a Boeing 737 -800 in which GPS is the main navigation source, keeps track of GPS "failure" for me. We are looking at 14 years now. There is an occasional NOTAM for testing, but it's been no big deal.

So.......use a portable for realistic flying in todays enviroment, or use the other methods simulate the way it was done.....then.

Edited by LA

There are at least two types of simmers.

Most of us, i think, fly VFR or VOR-VOR (or don't even bother what VFR or VOR means) and enjoy it. Some do set correct altimeter settings and some don't. Some seek real-world charts for navigation and some don't. Some update their navigation database to always fly with up-to-date AIRAC and some don't...

The point is, there's a number of us trying to mimic real-world operations by knowing the airplane they're flying (reading POH and memorizing it), having Jeppesen charts at hand (and using them!) and slapping themselves in the face when they're not Vref+5 at 1000ft AGL! (dont take the latter too seriously ;) ). This is the group that i believe "sim level" add-on planes seem to be addressed to most. I was really dissapointed when LES announced their not shipping Saab with RNAV equipment. But i can live with it unless someone tries to explain it to me that this is the way the aircraft leaves factory. Ok, now show me one single 340 that flies regulary in European airspace without RNAV equipment of some sort. You can't. That is the way airspace, airway system and procedures are nowadays - dead reckoning doesn't work anymore.

I hope i'm not starting any kind of flame war, but let's be honest for a while: designing GPS or FMS takes a whole lot of time and resources. It's not an easy task. That's why developers don't do it. Not because flying with them is boring (it isn't, if you take things seriously).

The one, and only one thing i really miss from FSX days are "sim level" add-ons (PMDG, LevelD, Leonardo etc.) that i can take into VATSIM/IVAO skies and do my best to fly them as close to real life as possible. It's not boring. If you take it really, i mean really seriously it's always a challenge. And it is huge satisfaction in the end.

Oh, and by the way, flying VOR-VOR in X-Plane is a joke at the moment. I'm 30 nm from station and unable to receive it's signal because it's on adjacent tile...

I hope i'm not starting any kind of flame war, but let's be honest for a while: designing GPS or FMS takes a whole lot of time and resources. It's not an easy task. That's why developers don't do it. Not because flying with them is boring (it isn't, if you take things seriously).

That's the reality of it. It's a major undertaking just itself, let alone simulating some of these aircraft. I became a real life GPS "junkie" in 1993. For several years, portable GPSs had more features than panel mounts, due to the fact of the certification process. I've had had a real interest in CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) accidents since the late 70's when a airliner (DC-8 cargo) smashed into the mountain, close to where I lived. It didn't take long to realize, that moving map GPS with terrain, was a major improvement over the radio nav systems.

Sim GPSs were never able to catch up with those I used for real life mountain flight. My "later" aviation Garmin portables (296,496,696) were ahead of the Garmin 430/530 panel mounts for computing power, and resolution. The portable had a much better terrain display. This didn't change, until the Garmin 1000 panel mount became available. Now, some sim users are still dealing with the KLN90......which I consider as vastly inferior. It's just older than some of those hills out there. I wouldn't even care to simulate a 430, but that's me. I know that there are some "semi" editions of the Garmin 1000 for simming, but not full featured. Besides, even the 1000 is getting older, by todays standards.

• 2 months later...

Apparently, Mr Randazzo has yet released another statement. For those of you not already aware of it, follow this link: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451361-12sep14-general-update-on-many-topics/

Obviously, we do not have an announcement on what the "secret" airplane is, right now. However, the promise to port NGX, 777 and 747V2 into X-Plane seems like good news to me. What do you think?