Hydro-foiling Moth

Hampster

The International Moth class of sailing dinghy is one of the most awesome boats you can get into as a sailor, and as I am on a roll with making cool sailboats for X-Plane (like my Sailrocket in the DM), I thought I'd start making my own Moth in X-P to see if the physics can be replicated.

I'll let this explain why Moths are so cool:

http://youtu.be/1SN1gSkqvy0

And so far I am up to this point in V9.7:

5by04mn.png

I hope to keep this project going for you all to enjoy in the end.

Hampster

Edited by Hampster

Thanks Gjalp, now onwards with the 'aircraft development'..

Update (for those who are reading)

New paint!

4zu092j.png

View from skipper's perspective:

LBhIbbl.png

Problem:

6N6R8Lm.png

I have been hacking at this for days but still don't have any results. As the hull only weighs 20 Kg, it is very hard to stop this boat taking off. X-Plane's lateral water resistance is 0 so I have to use a jet to power this boat, but this unbalances the forces involved with making this boat work. I use hidden objects on the T foils to add extra lift when the boat is moving, but it hops and crashes and I can never find sustained foiling. (Or at least a rise in foiling as you increase speed)

If this works I'll make an AC72, but I need help with cracking the hydro-foiling issue.

The .acf file is attached for those who want to jump in and see what they can do...

Thanks,

Ham

Well, now that 10.30 supports physics hacks natively, I can share more info about how I did it back in 2010;

Using weapon stations and a very small custom .wpn object with nearly no weight/attribs you can apply forces to the airframe using a script and the custom weapons datarefs.

The math is a little absurd but you can definitely apply custom flight model forces this way.

You basically push/pull on the location of the weapon-station by writing custom numbers into the weapon datarefs, this in turn applies forces to the airframe that include any torque values that result from placing a weps station on, say, a wing tip.

I've used it to supplement clients flight models to more closely match their performance objectives.

You'll need a custom script/plugin, plent of patience and you probably won't get a high quality result due to the math hacks required and the fact that you're after a near-complete override but there are ways to apply additive forces to the FM.

Nice little boat by the way, looks like great fun and very manageable as far as storage/launching, etc... no mooring required... less fouling maintenance, all that fun stuff.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice, I will have a look at the weapon idea, stable 'flight' is the goal so once I have cracked that all should be OK...

Is there any chance I could get my hands on that plugin? Moths foil using a 'wand' which skims along the surface of the water, and this the height off the water relates mechanically to the lift coming off the T foil...

If the altitude relates to the forward position of a body of mass, the principle would be exactly the same. I do not know how to work with plugins though, that may be a bit of a problem it I can't grasp variables / codes in the immediate language.

The other option is to convert the file to a .obj and program it to rise with airspeed via a dataref..

Re being cool, yes they are very cool. I was at a regatta the other month, and he guys just pick the boats up on their shoulders and carry them down to the shore. In regards to the sailing sphere, NZ is a very active place in sailing small dinghies which weigh less than 60kg, I for one sail a Farr 3.7 (www.3-7class.org.nz) which is a New Zealand design non-foiling version of a moth. It's a very fun boat to sail!

Allright, onto work...

Ham

Edited by Hampster

Thanks Radial,

Despite the picture below, I am actually getting close to finding the sweet spot with this model... I have also figured out how to tack the sailing dude from one side of the boat to the other. I will send in some pictures when I have made the breakthrough!

TDBogkY.png

^ Spinning out of control like a boat should (?)

• Upvote 1

Success! (ish)

A9Na72w.png

The Moth can now foil successfully at around 11 kts of boatspeed, but hasn't cracked 20 kts yet. I have a bit of work to do with lift/drag. You can't steer either, but I will put steering on as a directional thruster to deduct drag.

UeM8PGy.png

^ New detailing includes mainsheet and blocks, new captain, new buoyancy pods on wings, forestays and sidestays with a funky spreader, new sail etc...

It's quite surprising how stable this boat is when you power it up to 120 kts.. The future of high speed boating? !!

• Upvote 1