SIDs, STARs and Transitions

andyconor

Hi all

I have searched the forums - just to let you know.

The thing is I am having trouble mainly with getting STARs to link up with the runways so I can fly straight in, they always seem to leave me away from the airfield.

I'm especially having trouble with the fact that there is no real quality flight planning software where I can see where the STARs etc actually lead to (like FSCommander for FSX)

So how can you ensure that STARs link up to runways and is there any good flight planning software?

Thank you all in advance

andyconor

. . . is there any good flight planning software?

Hello Andy,

It sounds as if you need to use STARs, and APPROACH charts to get you all the way to the runway.  I use the payware charts supplier Navigraph Charts Cloud.  They have charts for most airports that have instrument approaches.  If you are interested go to this link: http://www.navigraph.com/Products.aspx

The charts will help you plan, and show you exactly where you will be at a given time.  And, if you use SkyVector you can plot your whole course before you set up an FMS route.  Click on the Flight Plan (SkyVector) tab to plug in your route for visibility.

Edited by Tsetsoh

Not all STARs lead to the runway. Some leave you off at a distance away from the airport to get the final approach controller to vector from that point.

Yeah I've been reading up on it and understand that now, it's frustrating because I'm not yet good enough to go on VATSIM so I'll have to make do for practice