Best Mac Hardware for X-Plane

mikeoscar

I am currently using an Apple MacPro of at least seven years vintage and already it will not accept the latest version of the Mac OS so a replacement is imminent.  My question is which Mac should I buy?  The apparently obvious answer is to buy the latest (amazing) MacPro but is the (considerable) cost going to really produce correspondingly high X-Plane performance?  

• Downvote 1

Best Mac for X-Plane is the latest 27" iMac with the 4670/4771 and the 780M. 

The latest Mac Pro is not setup for gaming and in testing, a Mac Pro with the D700 performs worse than the iMac( remember X-Plane does not take advantage of Crossfire so only one D700 is being used). 

http://barefeats.com/tube13.html

Edited by ChevyRules

• 4 weeks later...

Yes do NOT try it on the latest Mac Book Pro - it's tolerable in OSX only - in Windows the CPU's overheat just opening Word and are of no use whatsoever gaming. 

Even in OSX it's marginal and the Mac Book Pro sounds like a turbofan at it's highest RPM trying to cool down. 

I've been flying on a MacBook Pro for years.  Even now I am flying on a 9 month old MacBook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8.5, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, 1024MB VRAM and respectable rendering options and frame rates in the 80's with freeware aircraft and 30's in Carenado and FlyJSim payware.  No, I don't fly with insanely high settings, but it's all I need to keep me happy.  To combat the heat, I use a Moshi Zefyr 2 fan and I also run the smcFanControl app to keep my internal fan running faster when things get hotter.

Still, I would agree the new iMac would be a much better choice!

Edited by ointment