Visual Approaches & Landings

andyconor

Hello all

I'm relatively new to the virtual piloting world, and I'm hoping you could help me.

I am currently flying a Cessna 172sp (like the default one, but the xppl version).

I can just about land it on a small runway (Shoreham is my usual one).

The thing is I've been practising at it a long time now (must be coming up to 8 months or so).

So, to my question, I have been finding myself increasingly jealous about how other virtual pilots (mainly youtubers) manager to manually land an airliner, where I can barely land a Cessna or private jet. 

If you don't fancy reading much today:

In your opinion, what is the best way to practice landings to the extent where you can manually land b747s and a320s professionally? 

EDIT also, what the hell can I read or watch to become so knowledgable about charts, fuel calculations (pretty much anything apart from flying)?  :huh:

Thank you in advance :)

andyconor

Edited by andyconor

Practice, practice, practice. To start with airliners, try learning with a smaller jet. There is a free Eclipse 550 on the .org that has excellent handling. Just do circuits with it. Aim for the numbers and smoothly flare. Learn how your aircraft responds to the slightest yoke/stick changes.

• Upvote 1

Andy, you have to transition to faster airplanes and use ever longer airstrips...

I suggest you go Cessna 172, baron 58, larger twin engine like B200/350, ATR or dash, then go with jets, from smaller DC9 to mid jets like the 737 or A320, then finish with larger 747, A340 or 777

Get yourself in a good mid sized airport also...

• Upvote 1