Computer comparison

andyconor

Is there a stickied thread about advice for computers?

I understand that there are threads similar to this, but I'd prefer more direct, contextual and relevant advice. Anyway, I'm looking at 2 computers, mainly to play X-Plane and a few other games (fsx, the sims and minecraft). Simple question - which one would be better to buy for it's capabilities to run these at full settings etc? Thanks in advance.

(I can't get the direct links, so if you're willing to help, could you google them please)

Alienware X51 R2-5476

OR

HP Envy Phoenix 800-030ea Gaming PC

Thanks

andyconor

You get a much better spec from the HP machine, for less money. I can't comment on whether one brand is better than another, other than to say the support Dell gave one of my ex partners with her laptop was not bad. I've never owned anything personally from either company.

Why not look for a local shop or website who can spec and build a machine for you to match the HP one?

Edited by Tonka

I have an old Alienware M17x laptop and have been really happy with it. However, the cost breakdown over the past few years makes me second guess another laptop purchase like the one I made. I've been looking into smaller boutique pc companies like cyberpower for a micro atx build. Either that or I will build my own. 

If you don't mind spending the cash Alienware is a great choice. A few other good smaller companies are Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, and Maingear. 

Hi! Do not invest in a fast CPU if you do not invest in a faster GPU. The 750, but mostly the 2GB of memory will be a big bottleneck when you'll fly in complex sceneries with many objects, unless you want to use not so much details, and in this case you'll never use the full potential of the CPU. I strongly suggest to choose a less powered CPU like the 4570 (because x-plane does not take real advantages of multiple cores) and may be overclock it, and invest in a more powerful GPU like for example a 780 or 770 with AT LEAST 4GB of video memory.

Sent from Mad iPad's Tapatalk

originpc.com has some pretty nice systems. They're completely customizable, like building your own without the building part.

I would recommend an i5 4670k, GTX 760 or better, and at least 8gb of RAM. Make sure you get a DVD drive for loading X-Plane.

-MR