Douglas DC-9-20

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, here's how I did the fuse. It takes a heck of a long time spent moving verts to figure out the best way for all of those longitudinal lines to mesh into the windows nicely. Also, using the "Make sharp" edge tool really makes that flat space stand out nicely.

Oh, Interesting!

So here are my new windows:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2692/verts.jpg

I need to work a bit more with the eyebrow though.

And here is a highres render:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4987/cockpitwindows.jpg

Hi,

I have now started to model the center console. Pic: http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3136/cockpitg.jpg

I have noticed that I need more high res pictures of both the center console and the overhead panel. I would really appreciate if someone would supply a more highres picture of the center console and overhead panel, preferably from a poster. I cant read what my current overhead panel picture says! Drawings of landing gears is also very welcome.

If you have good pictures you might get the plane sent to you when finished! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to answer both your last posts as best I can.

You will be hard pressed to find someone to look for hi res images of the cockpit.  Your best bet would be to obtain an FCOM or operations manual which would have the panel in there.  Unfortunately, these manuals cost money.  If you cannot afford the manuals, just google the hell out of it and see what you can come up with.

Just to give you an idea, I spent $180 on a bunch of 747-200 panel diagrams and I also bought 3 Boeing manuals at a cost of between $30 and $160 each.

The order in which you model is entirely up to you.

I can tell you the wings are not as easy as most people think.  You need a cut away of the airfoil shape to model against and then you need to cut it up for the spoilers and flaps.  Keep going on easier objects.

Also, you have a LOT of sharp edges on your objects.  I'm not sure if that's the look you're after but it will look better if it had rounded edges.

I'll try to answer both your last posts as best I can.

You will be hard pressed to find someone to look for hi res images of the cockpit.  Your best bet would be to obtain an FCOM or operations manual which would have the panel in there.  Unfortunately, these manuals cost money.  If you cannot afford the manuals, just google the hell out of it and see what you can come up with.

Just to give you an idea, I spent $180 on a bunch of 747-200 panel diagrams and I also bought 3 Boeing manuals at a cost of between $30 and $160 each.

The order in which you model is entirely up to you.

I can tell you the wings are not as easy as most people think.  You need a cut away of the airfoil shape to model against and then you need to cut it up for the spoilers and flaps.  Keep going on easier objects.

Also, you have a LOT of sharp edges on your objects.  I'm not sure if that's the look you're after but it will look better if it had rounded edges.

Well i  will try to contact SAS for the documentation and if that doesn´t work out I guess I will have to invest in some manuals.  :-\

I am not finished so the sharp edges be removed. Though I find it hard to know how smoth things need to be. Well I haven´t started with the wings yet, but I am afraid it will be hard so I will try to finish with the cockpit first I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Why I am a perfectionist? WHY!!!

The answer to that question remains unanswered. What I do know is: I have redone large parts of the exterior model, removed the windows, made a new wingbox and a few other things. The reason I am doing this is to, first, increase accuracy, second, save verts so all computers will be able experience good framerates. I don´t have to have any windows cut out of the fuselage, since I don´t plan to model any interior of the aircraft. I will just use bump mapping/normal map and textures (as pmdg do in fsx).

I have also switched to blender 2.56 beta to utilise its new background image features, modifiers (such as solidify) and to learn the new interface before 2.49b is obsolete. Though, there are problems with 2.56 beta, for me mostly due to the lack of many knife features also the bevel script is not yet ported. I hope these will be implemented soon so I can merge the wingbox and fuselage (again).

This time I have no fancy ambient occlusion renders, but I do have a screenshot.

http://img339.imageshack.us/f/rearnx.jpg/

A gallery of renders and such:http://img163.imageshack.us/g/tailverts.gif/

• 1 month later...

Now there are only two triangles left on my plane and the topology looks awesome (at least I think so). I am on my way with the wings, but they really are tricky. I now almost completely up and running with blender 2.5, though I have a huge problem. Xplane2blender doesn´t work! What versions of blender 2.5 does x2b work with, is it only 2.53?

I have some questions regarding the wings:

What distance apart do I place the different wing surfaces, is the gap to be visible?

Is there a standard way to do wing flex? (modeling, not dataref)

Is there a smart way to round of the corners of the different surfaces?

It also seems I am not the only one working on a dc9 anymore. I guess I will have to try even harder to make the best dc9!  ;)

Edit:

A little render:

render20110308.jpg

The current XP2B script wont work at all with Blender 2.5. But Sam256 (over at the .org) is working on a new version that does work in Blender 2.5. The problem is that Blender 2.49 uses Python 2.6 (or something like that, but deffinetly v2) where as Blender 2.5x uses Python 3.1.1.

Can you give us a wireframe shot, so we can see this awesome topology?

Cheers

Kieran

So far excellent... my only question is will there be a DC-9-50?

There might be an dc9-50, I haven´r really decided yet. ;)

The current XP2B script wont work at all with Blender 2.5. But Sam256 (over at the .org) is working on a new version that does work in Blender 2.5. The problem is that Blender 2.49 uses Python 2.6 (or something like that, but deffinetly v2) where as Blender 2.5x uses Python 3.1.1.

Can you give us a wireframe shot, so we can see this awesome topology?

Cheers

Kieran

The topology is awesome compared to earlier, I think it looks good and there are few triangles.

screenvh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Actually man, that looks good. You sure are getting the hang of this now.

one thing of advice i can give is you may want to possible think of getting rid of the indented line that goes around the main body of this console. Reason being you can easily add this in as a texture later on. not saying you have to however, but one of the things that makes a great 3d model is knowing when to make that bevel and when not to. its something you get better at over time.

When you make a link like that, first ask yourself if you can texture that in there easier and with less polygons used first.

More so, ask if your customers could tell the difference if it was textured or not. Also, a lot of times you will notice that all this detail you try hard to model wont even be noticeable once you have a healthy texture applied. Trust me i know from experience. Sometimes we tend to go off and model everything, detail for detail, which is great and fun, but once there is a texture there we get let down when you can no longer make out these awesome details we spent hours on.

Other then that, this looks really nice, i cant wait to see what the rest looks like.

Actually man, that looks good. You sure are getting the hang of this now.

one thing of advice i can give is you may want to possible think of getting rid of the indented line that goes around the main body of this console. Reason being you can easily add this in as a texture later on. not saying you have to however, but one of the things that makes a great 3d model is knowing when to make that bevel and when not to. its something you get better at over time.

When you make a link like that, first ask yourself if you can texture that in there easier and with less polygons used first.

More so, ask if your customers could tell the difference if it was textured or not. Also, a lot of times you will notice that all this detail you try hard to model wont even be noticeable once you have a healthy texture applied. Trust me i know from experience. Sometimes we tend to go off and model everything, detail for detail, which is great and fun, but once there is a texture there we get let down when you can no longer make out these awesome details we spent hours on.

Other then that, this looks really nice, i cant wait to see what the rest looks like.

Thank you!

I am no pro when it comes to texture, normal-mapping and so on. Seems like I should explore the possibilities with textures more in depth than earlier. Thank you for your feedback!

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...