How to fly a Trans-Atlantic route?

SwissCyul

Hello simmers,

today i was on my way from Zurich to Montreal with the Samen A330-300. The jet stream was really far south so i flew in the middle of the atlantic, where obviously no X Plane scenery is installed/available. So i left off from my last waypoint to cross the atlantic, and after about 1 hour the route disappeared from the Navigation display and the GPS points(since there are no WPT where no scenery is…) i had entered where not there anymore. Also the Autopilot couldn't follow my real route anymore because it was gone.  So i had to fly over the ocean with heading mode, hoping that i come out somewhere over canada. 

That worked out this time and i came right over Goose bay and could find my way back to my route. But this can't be the case. Is it somehow possible to fly in "non-existent" x plane scenery with GPS points to your next "existent" waypoint?

Else i would have to take a route that is that far north, so there is still scenery under my cockpit. 

Attached is the Brief package for this flight. The maps are in the last pages. 

Does anyone have experience with this? 

Thanks,

SwissCyul 

Edited by SwissCyul

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, I may be able to answer this and i really hope it explains it clearly.

When doing transatlantic routes and having experience from doing flight from USA to France i have the same thing that happens. When you installed explain and it asks you to install scenery hopefully u also installed the water regions in between the americas and Europe. this could be one reason why the NAV points are not loading in is because the scenery is not installed and x-plane defaults to water for scenery. Another thing that could contribute, I had the same thing when i flew over canada to europe the waypoints just stop over the ocean then pick back up over land. There could as well be no NAV points over the ocean, eel because its the ocean it would be kinda weird to have floating bouees with NAV points on them wouldn't it? anyways the plane probably only reads the NAV points up to a certain distance before terrain underneath it stops and you feel like your flying blind. Also it is possible for you to fly to your next waypoint with "NON-existant" scenery, though you may endue typing it into the planes FP system just to get it.

In all cases with my experience, when i fly from JFK-CDG, my waypoints for my route stop once I'm over water. though since it really isn't much of a mistake the plane just fly along like in real life and i manage to endue somewhere around scandinavia so i know how you feel. I hope this clarified something, maybe a little if not any. i tried, thats what counts. Maybe someone else would have a better explanation on this than i would.

Thanks for your try ;)

I noticed that as well that the plane stops following the route over the atlantic and picks it up again over land. So when you are flying with FMS following, it will just fly a strait line over the atlantic until you reach the next continent. I managed it now with the heading mode. So once i start the atlantic crossing, i switch to heading mode and just enter into my FMS the next Waypoint on land. Like this there is a strait line to follow and with heading selected you end up at the right place. It's a bit annoying, but it works. Maybe laminar will add atlantic ocean scenery in some update.

Again thanks for your help,

SwissCyul