Glossary, multi-monitor, plugins (where to get all this info)

stephanh1966

Hey folks,

Just bought my first X-Plane copy. Will receive it soon, I hope.

I've been puttering around the web and I'm learning all kinds of stuff. However, I'm also completely overwhelmed with the flood of information. Just yesterday I learned that you can get head motion sensed to look around. Who would have thought.

For this reason, I have to ask a few questions as it's getting hard to find the right places for the info. That and I'm exhausted from information overload.  ;)

1) Is there a really good glossary of things "flight sim" somewhere? Acronyms are a killer.

2) Is there a plugin to have one screen show the main view, sort of speak, and one screen to show the cockpit? I have an iMac 27" and an external screen. I don't have two computers I can dedicate to running XP10. It would be nice to fly the Cessna 172 without that huge cockpit in the way. But having the cockpit is useful for sure. I will be getting something on the iPad for showing the main instruments but it would be nice to have the full cockpit. Just not on the main screen.

3) Is there a list of the types of plugins you can get? For example, I had no idea I could get a "push off" plugin until I saw one on youtube. So if I don't know about something like that, how am I even supposed to look for it? I've seen some sites that have hundreds of plugins but it's hard to search for stuff.

Don't worry, I'm not  expecting to get it all packaged and served on a silver plate. I'm spending a ton of time learning the ins and outs of flight sims. But it would be nice to get answers for those 3 questions. And if I at least get a glossary, I might know what to look for as I will probably get ideas when I look at the definitions and or the list of what plugins are available.

Thank you in advance.

Stef

1) Is there a really good glossary of things "flight sim" somewhere? Acronyms are a killer.

I've used these plus the pdf attachment.

http://airodyssey.net/reference/glossary/

3) Is there a list of the types of plugins you can get? For example, I had no idea I could get a "push off" plugin until I saw one on youtube. So if I don't know about something like that, how am I even supposed to look for it? I've seen some sites that have hundreds of plugins but it's hard to search for stuff.

Good Google search results: https://www.google.ca/#q=x-plane+10+plugins

I've been using the 64 bit version, but the "push back" doesn't seem to work. Haven't tried it on 32 bit.

http://chrisbryson.blogspot.ca/2012/03/simplepushback-for-x-plane-10.html

SkyVector for flight plans, maps etc. http://skyvector.com

airport-signs.pdf

VFR_Chart_Symbols.pdf

Very useful stuff thanks.   :)

What version of X-Plane did you purchase?

What computer are you using?

What OS are you using?

I'm asking bc. I finally figured this frustrating installation, and would like to share while still fresh in my mind.

Edited by PNut

What version of X-Plane did you purchase?

What computer are you using?

What OS are you using?

I'm asking bc. I finally figured this frustrating installation, and would like to share while still fresh in my mind.

I bought version 10 Global. I run a 2011 27" iMac. Not one of the high end i7 ones. It's only the quad i5 with the 512M VRAM video card.