XP Scenery Generator [WIP]

tonywob

My guess would be that we are allowed to use them - at least as long it is a freeware sceenery we generate

I'll have a look at adding them. If they're selectable in WED, then I'm guessing it's fine to use. They also have an Ikea, which I remember from the X-Plane 9 days (It was everywhere). It might be making a resurrection shortly, if i can find the reference to it ;)

I found a statement of Ben Supnik which, I think, confirms that developers are allowed to use the X-Plane art assets, as long as this is done by using the library system.

"You should also use the library when you want to use our art assets; do not copy our art assets out of X-Plane into your scenery pack.  If you use the library, improvements to the art assets are automatically transferred to your scenery pack."

Here you can find the whole article. Start reading from paragraph six.

And yes, there is Ikea. If you want I can search the default scenery for historic buildings and Ikea.

Thanks, yes, I've seen that. If you can, could you search out the library paths for all the European buildings and Ikea, and send them to me, it would really help me and save time. I found I couldn't reference the objects directly, but had to use a virtual path to the US scenery objects, which change regionally.

My guess is you don't have the world scenery / base mesh installed (properly) for that tile. I highly doubt this is caused by an performance issue.

No because if I disable w2xp and use osm2xp for instance the tiles get loaded properly, and the problem occurs only with german scenery which is very dense and complex so I think it's my hardware limit.

No because if I disable w2xp and use osm2xp for instance the tiles get loaded properly, and the problem occurs only with german scenery which is very dense and complex so I think it's my hardware limit.

In that case I suggest you set your starting location somewhere on an airport within that tile and fire up XP. If loading succeeds but you're surrounded by water then there is definitely a problem with your world scenery.

In that case I suggest you set your starting location somewhere on an airport within that tile and fire up XP. If loading succeeds but you're surrounded by water then there is definitely a problem with your world scenery.

Thanks. If I start within the tile it takes 15 mins to load but it works eventually, the problem occurs when I fly to another tile which has not been loaded yet.

Thanks. If I start within the tile it takes 15 mins to load but it works eventually, the problem occurs when I fly to another tile which has not been loaded yet.

That is very odd. If you're hitting the system limits you would either get an error message (memory low / exhausted) or the sim would just freeze mid-flight until the new tile has been fully loaded. The latter happens to me occasionally when transitioning between tiles even though I'm on multiple SSDs. But I definitely never saw "just water" even when using slew mode and moving at crazy speeds between tiles...

You could try switching to default base mesh (instead of HD) in your photo scenery assuming the replacement DSF is provided for the tile(s) you downloaded from Simheaven (I think it's usually named like "Earth nav data\+50+000\+57+007_SD.dsf").

Also:

1. Did you try pausing the sim for up to 15 minutes to see if the missing tile eventually appears?
  2. Did you look through the log.txt if there are any error messages related to the missing tile?
  3. How much swap space do you have available on total?

Maybe you're hitting on a physical VRAM limit and XP's asynchronous tile loading mechanism gets stuck or silently aborts (even though total VRAM usage is designed to go well beyond the physical memory of the graphics card).

Also:

1. Did you try pausing the sim for up to 15 minutes to see if the missing tile eventually appears?
  2. Did you look through the log.txt if there are any error messages related to the missing tile?
  3. How much swap space do you have available on total?

Maybe you're hitting on a physical VRAM limit and XP's asynchronous tile loading mechanism gets stuck or silently aborts (even though total VRAM usage is designed to go well beyond the physical memory of the graphics card).

Removing the HD mesh and/or photoreal didn't help, BUT thanks to your and Tony's advice I've been patiently waiting with my plane paused in the middle of nowhere and... after 5-6 mins the tile appeared piece by piece. So now it's clear that it's related to slow data reading (w2xp too complex in this case) maybe due to cpu limit or the bus itself.

Edited by crisk73

Hi All. I just want to take the opportunity to thank all contributors and testers for World2XPlane, without all your help and support, the project would not have been possible.

I've added a list of people here: http://world2xplane.com/aboutcontributions, and we are always looking for new users and contributions :)

Thanks

Tony

Thanks Tony, meant a lot.  But if you hadn't taken the initiative I guess we still would have been on the default osm2xp.

Tony a stupid request, now I don't know if it is possible.

Can you remove those light blue buildings from village areas like non-city ones and only leave them in the city and put more of those light brown and chocolate brown roofs for the villages / rural areas ?

Edited by Ironmaiden

Can you remove those light blue buildings from village areas like non-city ones and only leave them in the city and put more of those light brown and chocolate brown roofs for the villages / rural areas ?

We're already working on this, updating and creating farm and proper industrial buildings. So things will improve over time :)

Edited by tonywob
  • Upvote 2

Hi World2Xplane team.

I was just wondering, is it possible to make very tall buildings such as city skyscrapers appear at long distances ? At the moment they fade in at quite close distances. Or is that already possible ?

Depends on how the LOD has been set when rendering the PBF (osm data) under W2XP.... The higher the value the better the distance, but... beware the fps drops :-) Now if it's an object you can find in the library which causes to popup, then simply open the *.obj file of it, and change its LOD in there.

OK thanks Blacky, so does that mean that the LOD defined in the config.xml applies to all building facades and building objects created by W2X ?

I'm taking a guess that city skyscrapers are generated as objects because they have real OSM data (else they probably wouldnt be rendered as large skyscrapers). My line of thought was W2X could selectively define a higher LOD distance if it created a building object for a large skyscraper, and default LOD for anything else, to keep framerates under control. There is likely to be a very small number of skyscrapers in most cities.

In my config.xml the LOD is set to 9000 (I think that was default for 0.4.1a) and the following values:

<!-- Create facades for OSM 3D models, i.e. This doesn't work if the building has a min_height -->
    <generate-roof-wall-colors>false</generate-roof-wall-colors>

<!-- Create models for OSM 3D models and building parts -->
    <enable-osm-3d>true</enable-osm-3d>

was just wondering, is it possible to make very tall buildings such as city skyscrapers appear at long distances ? At the moment they fade in at quite close distances. Or is that already possible ?

ah right there where 3D OSM too... then I think it's the 9k which should be raised to.... 15k? I've put 15k on it... now not 200% sure, but think that's to be changed. Maybe Tony will confirm this later on as he's back on tuesday ;-)

It's almost possible ;) , but just changing the LOD inside the the config.xml is not enough anymore, as World2XPlane uses  "smart-lods", i.e. various LODs for different heights and areas for the facades, e.g. It will give a very small building a small LOD, and a taller one a larger LOD. This isn't configurable, so I need to get round to adding the rules for which LOD to use into the config file so it can be changed. I agree though, I may have been a little too stingy with the LODs for tall buildings

Hi Tony,

Somewhere I saw a post that suggested that W2XP has excluded some of the streetlights in a config file somewhere, I think for FPS reasons (although the main roads remain lit) - is this correct and if so can I switch them back on? If you can shed any light (excuse the pun) would be most appreciated - and I am a 'noob' (if that is the correct expression) when it comes this sort of thing if that could be borne in mind in any instructions :)

Thanks

Peter