XPlane2Blender... Why ?!

Hueyman

Yes, why this amazing useful script only fully works in the stone age 2.49 Blender version ...

I started learning Blender with 2.6 and now using 2.69, it's a huge difficulty for me to go back to this old ugly and UN-ergonomic version.

Beside spending time to work on it, I have to spend the same amount of time looking for how to do what I did in 2.6 in 2.49, where some features has gone, sometimes some stuff just did not exist in 2.49, and it's impossible to work u=in 2.69 then open the blend in 2.49 as you have to manually re-fill every faces...

So why this script isn't once for all updated for full compatibility ( import export etc ) for latest 2.69 Blender version ?

So why this script isn't once for all updated for full compatibility ( import export etc ) for latest 2.69 Blender version ?

Really?  That sounds a bit demanding when you are talking about something that is freeware.  How about you learn how to code,  spend months developing a new plugin, and then offer it free to the community?

• Upvote 1

Blender 2.6 changed both the GUI AND the entire scripting API.

We had two options:

Learn and entire new software app AND recreate the entire script set from scratch.

OR

Continue using blender 2.49 and add additional polish and features to the scripts we already had 95% of the way to perfect.

Blender 2.5+ offers ZERO significant improvement to someone who is already happy working in 2.49 for X-Plane content creation.

The updates in 2.5 were aimed at new users, unfortunately they left many old users in the cold, hating the new interface.

There is a set of scripts for Blender 2.5+ ... they are very poorly named; "XPlane2Blender" ... confusing much?

(Two sets of scripts, both completely incompatible with each other, both sharing exactly the same name, call me picky but that's a pretty dumb move by the new authors.)

I'm not sure what the functionality is like, I don't think they can match the 2.49 scripts as I believe the Laminar team prefers 2.49 and the old XP2B scripts have had more time invested in them making sure they support all of X-Planes OBJ format options that the artists want.

You can find the new scripts here:

https://github.com/der-On/XPlane2Blender

When building software one must consider how much time will be saved. It is a very big mistake to build new software for every little job.

Example:

If something takes you 10 seconds longer with the old software and it will take MONTHS to update for new software, you had better be annoyed by that extra 10 seconds at least 200 times a day or I simply do not care about your complaint.

Updating software isn't like updating a graphics file format, there is no "Save As"... many times you have to throw almost everything away and start again, you need to have a very strong argument.

Put simply, it is easier and faster for you to learn blender 2.49 than it is for me to update the scripts for 2.5  ........ it only starts to matter when you have hundreds of people not wanting to learn 2.49

Ok Ben, I'm convinced by your answer, it seems obviosu now

Just want to say : Not wanting to offend old devs is one thing, frustrate all incoming new people who gave them a try at this and have to do twice the job to satisfy the old devs, not sure this will work on the long run.

But I really don't know, if it works well like this in the years to come, then I may be false

Thanks for pointing this out, I'm off now learning dusty old 2.49 to not disturb grandpas devs :P

Would help if you were clear about that in the first place. Thanks for wasting my time.

Why is import ignored? 'cause the artists don't want kids ripping off their shit.

It's a low-tech form of DRM.

No artist with the original content has any need for import.

Suck it up.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry if I wasted your time Ô maestro ...

Nothing forced you to answer.

And I was always told the best way to learn is doing by yourself... AND see what's been done, how things were built etc etc ... It's for that purpose IMPORT feature is very handy, no one with enough self pride will be dumb enough to " steal " any parts, as I'm sure each of us thinks what we built is better than what has been done ...

Thanks Sloshy

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry if I wasted your time Ô maestro ...

Nothing forced you to answer.

And I was always told the best way to learn is doing by yourself... AND see what's been done, how things were built etc etc ... It's for that purpose IMPORT feature is very handy, no one with enough self pride will be dumb enough to " steal " any parts, as I'm sure each of us thinks what we built is better than what has been done ...

Thanks Sloshy

Your warning starts now. Quit the attitude or kiss this place goodbye. You've had a knack for snarky responses for quite a while. Think before you speak. I mean it.

Calling anyone names for the sake of sarcasm isn't going to fly.

Just to let you know, you don't have to re-fill all the faces when going back from 2.6x to 2.49. Just choose save as, and on the left hand panel choose 'legacy file format', or something along those lines, and then you can open it up in 2.49 no problem unless you have some crazy complex animations, which I would doubt as they aren't required for X-Plane purposes. The change came with the implementation of BMesh into Blender, which allows for faces with more that 4 vertices. So if you have faces with more than 4 vertices you will probably have to fill these in, but you shouldn't have these sorts of faces in your finished mesh, they are more there to speed up modelling.

This way you can model in 2.69, as I do as I prefer the new interface, the added tools, and because I use Blender for more than just X-Plane. Then once you're finished modelling (and texturing as well if you want to do that in 2.69), save as as above, set up the animations in 2.49 as you need the scripts to do it, then export from there.

Edited by Kieran
  • Upvote 1