SilverLining Crashing My Flights

cruster

I haven' tried anything at all; after 3 crashes on long flights I gave up. We are not talking about a freeware product here; if I pay more than 50% the cost of X-plane itself for an add on, I expect something that is just as reliable, not something that will waste several hours of my time and give me a lot of frustration.

José

• Upvote 1

Jose,

I can understand your frustration but we are willing to help you sort through your problem.  Stating that X-Plane crashed after a few hours pointed to the Gizmo memory leak issue that has since been resolved.  The link above contains that new version of Gizmo.  It is very likely this is what caused your sim to crash.....

In addition you are part of a small group of people having issue with SkyMAXX and its safe to say that the huge number of people who adopted this add-on have been very pleased with the impact and performance it has on X-Plane 10......

Please allow us to to continue to help you resolve your issue.........

Edited by JohnMAXX

I haven' tried anything at all; after 3 crashes on long flights I gave up. We are not talking about a freeware product here; if I pay more than 50% the cost of X-plane itself for an add on, I expect something that is just as reliable, not something that will waste several hours of my time and give me a lot of frustration.

José

You're honestly wasting more time and effort posting the same talk over and over here rather than listening to the suggestions already offered to you. Please either accept the advice being given to you, or let it be based on your decision. There's not much to debate here.

Jose,

I can understand your frustration but we are willing to help you sort through your problem.  Stating that X-Plane crashed after a few hours pointed to the Gizmo memory leak issue that has since been resolved.  The link above contains that new version of Gizmo.  It is very likely this is what caused your sim to crash.....

In addition you are part of a small group of people having issue with SkyMAXX and its safe to say that the huge number of people who adopted this add-on have been very pleased with the impact and performance it has on X-Plane 10......

Please allow us to to continue to help you resolve your issue.........

I have downloaded the new Gizmo and I will re-install Skymaxx; I will try it out but I can't promise you when I will do it because I don't want to risk any important flights. I may eventually try to leave x-plane flying on its own, off line, during the night, on a very long flight, and find out if everything went smoothly when I wake up the next morning. I have calmed down a bit, but I was infuriated when I lost my third long flight. The thing is it was unpredictable, because I had managed a 3 hour plus flight, in between, with no issues.

José

• Upvote 1

Odd tha† it wouldn't report.....We will look into it....

Hello John,

I agreed with you that the non-report of a crash error in the log.txt was just plan odd.  Even more odd was that I was getting a crash to desktop each time I tried to make a landing while the Silver Lining plugin was active, but no crash when it was removed.  So I did some extensive testing to see if I could find what was happening.

The short version is that I now seem to have a fully-functional setup -- with SkyMAXX merrily puffing clouds my way.

The longer version is that I did some un-installs and re-installs of several items, tested, and moved to the next item.  Along the way I did a fresh install of SkyMAXX (which I had done before), and then it appeared to work properly.  Somehow a couple items that were conflicting earlier were now copacetic.  All plugins that previously had been installed were also in the mix.  I tested several times over the same route, same SkyMAXX settings, and with the same weather.  It ops-checked good with the default Cirrus Jet, the Saab S340, and an EMBRAER E170. 

I then cranked up some SkyMAXX settings and gave it one more go.  Perfect!  

Sorry to have bothered you.

Side note:  During my investigations with SkyMAXX uninstalled I installed the Aerosoft Sky Tools to see what that would do for me.  I have to say that it did produce a bunch of clouds, and there were some impressive colors.  If I had no other choice it would make flying a bit more interesting, but the realism was not there.  It also bumped up my frame rates significantly when compared to SkyMAXX in the same environment.  I was very glad to get SkyMAXX operating again!

Hello John,

I agreed with you that the non-report of a crash error in the log.txt was just plan odd.  Even more odd was that I was getting a crash to desktop each time I tried to make a landing while the Silver Lining plugin was active, but no crash when it was removed.  So I did some extensive testing to see if I could find what was happening.

The short version is that I now seem to have a fully-functional setup -- with SkyMAXX merrily puffing clouds my way.

The longer version is that I did some un-installs and re-installs of several items, tested, and moved to the next item.  Along the way I did a fresh install of SkyMAXX (which I had done before), and then it appeared to work properly.  Somehow a couple items that were conflicting earlier were now copacetic.  All plugins that previously had been installed were also in the mix.  I tested several times over the same route, same SkyMAXX settings, and with the same weather.  It ops-checked good with the default Cirrus Jet, the Saab S340, and an EMBRAER E170. 

I then cranked up some SkyMAXX settings and gave it one more go.  Perfect!  

Sorry to have bothered you.

Side note:  During my investigations with SkyMAXX uninstalled I installed the Aerosoft Sky Tools to see what that would do for me.  I have to say that it did produce a bunch of clouds, and there were some impressive colors.  If I had no other choice it would make flying a bit more interesting, but the realism was not there.  It also bumped up my frame rates significantly when compared to SkyMAXX in the same environment.  I was very glad to get SkyMAXX operating again!

Never a bother please don't feel that way,  your description of the problem was through  and helpful even without an error....... I am glad you decided to help us by looking at your setup and doing some "house cleaning" ......  Sometimes thats all it takes....

Also I am glad you are happy with the product.....  Please if you have a problem never hesitate!

With that said we are holding up 1.3 with some code changes thanks Jose  :D.  We have a good base of happy customers but we want all of our customers happy........

I just realized how much I like periods.............................................. LOL

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 1

I just realized how much I like periods.............................................. LOL

Hope it is not related to the crash on Goran's back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry John , sometimes I just can not help it, it just pops out and I write, you know it is all for a good humor, that's all.  

That 1.3 update sounds really good, keep it up. :D

Cheers, AJ ;)

• Upvote 1

dpny - I haven't experienced the crash you're seeing, but I have a couple of theories. One is that this is a symptom of running out of memory. The other is more involved, but would be a problem specific to MacOS involving cirrus cloud layers.

Any chance you had more than one cirrus layer active when this happened? Does the problem persist if you have the new "force cirrus" option off in 1.3?

Thanks,

Frank

dpny - I haven't experienced the crash you're seeing, but I have a couple of theories. One is that this is a symptom of running out of memory. The other is more involved, but would be a problem specific to MacOS involving cirrus cloud layers.

Any chance you had more than one cirrus layer active when this happened? Does the problem persist if you have the new "force cirrus" option off in 1.3?

Thanks,

Frank

For most of the testing I had real weather enabled, which was two cumulus layers and one cirrus layer. I then changed the weather in order to play with the cloud draw distance. I don't remember exactly what I changed it to, but I did have force cirrus  and crepuscular rays off.

If there are specific combinations of clouds you'd like me to check, just ask.

Thanks dpny.  Mostly I'm interested in whether you can get it to crash if there are no cirrus layers in the scene at all. If you have time to try it out, it would be helpful in narrowing down what's going on.

I will try and test it out in the next few days.

This happened in final approach after inner marker.

Ben,

Thanks for looking into this.  This has happened to me many times.  I originally posted about it here.

Unfortunately I didn't do as good a job capturing useful data as ephendi, so I wasn't very helpful in locating a cause.  I thought I had sorted it out (as reported here), but I have had other occurances of this since then.  I did not report it again because it seemed that my issue was unique to my system.

It seems that the only common issue among these occurrences for me were that I would load an aircraft that appeared to have a problem (as if it had not been updated -- although I was using the latest version).  I would see problems such as AP not working (Blackshape Prime), or panel graphics not working (ATR-500) so I would load a different aircraft and make a flight.   Then the CTD would occur just off the end of the (arrival) runway on every flight after that, regardless of how many times I closed and relaunched X-Plane.  However, if I re-installed SkyMAXX things would work again.  I am not coding-literate but the link between the aircraft issues and the SkyMAXX-related CTD seemed far fetched.

Here are a couple files I captured on one of the CTD flights:   FILES.zip

Edited by Tsetsoh