Douglas DC-3 Version 1.4 Update Released!

Cameron

Hi, guys!

Question for you, the bottom indicator on the heading indicator shows what direction the DC-3 is flying in. I'm not 100 % sure, what is the top indicator on the heading indicator is used for? Please see attached. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

post-13279-0-77799400-1393733661_thumb.j

Edited by Vinny003

The bottom compass displays the current heading.  The top compass is adjustable and you set it to the heading you want to fly, then adjust your heading to follow it under autopilot.  When both compasses are aligned, then you are flying the autopilot heading

Hi, Goran!

Got it! That makes sense! I'm not 100% sure. Before I takeoff, I adjust the top compass to the heading I want to fly to, I takeoff, turn on the autopilot, I still flying in circles. I think I'm doing something wrong there. What is the proper procedure to get the DC-3 to fly in the heading under autopilot? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

You need to turn the roll knob to neutral position when approaching the desired heading. The autopilot does not hold the heading automatically.

There is a file "THE SPERRY AUTOPILOT" in documentation folder - chapter 6 of the file is about this.

Edited by eMko

• 5 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 5:14 AM, eMko said:

You need to turn the roll knob to neutral position when approaching the desired heading. The autopilot does not hold the heading automatically.

There is a file "THE SPERRY AUTOPILOT" in documentation folder - chapter 6 of the file is about this.

Hey man

So it doesnt really hold the heading... its more a 'Flight Director'?

I always seem to be slowly drifting right or left of my heading with autopilot on. I try to trim the plane as best I can before putting autopilot on.

Is that just how she goes with an old plane? I didnt know if mine was working right or not.

Thanks!

edit: This post says I need to bind an autopilot heading hold to a button to get it to work? From 2017 though.

Is there no button in the cockpit? Is this cheating? @Goran_M

PS. Do the carb mix levers matter? Im not sure when to adjust those.

This plane is still really great, lots of good flights.

Edited by canox