I am not a newb but WTF has happened to the scenery since 10.25

Teddit

Hi guys,

I have been using XPlane for the better part of 2 and a bit years now.

Recently since the upgrade of 10.25, I have noticed that certain scenery has been added to the general install of XPlane.

(From the promotion of people building airports for the general install) 

My gripe is that when I go to log into KBOS (the converted one from 'that other site') by karingka, I get the following images attached below.  :angry:

I have gone through thoroughly and checked my custom scenery folder, nothing there.

I have removed the scenery.ini file to see if that it is the issue, no change.

The only thing I did get a change in, was if I retitled the KBOS scenery: "_KBOS Boston", so it went to the top of the scenery list.

However it only corrected the ground markings and lighting.  The buildings overlapping the karingka scenery are still there.

My overall question is: is anyone else getting this issue?   :blink:

Very frustrating.

Halp?!?!?

Teddit

post-8271-0-27042800-1386757685_thumb.pn

post-8271-0-71046700-1386757744_thumb.pn

post-8271-0-58108900-1386757766_thumb.pn

Edited by Teddit
  • Upvote 1

You need to add exclusion zones for objects (and maybe facades, too) to KBOS.

Well. Actually, the author of the KBOS scenery needs to add exclusion zones.

This is the case for many, many sceneries, even payware sceneries since XP 10.25, and it will get worse once more airports are included by default.

Hi Mario,

You have brought up a very good point.

One I  didn't think about, will have a play with OE and WED and see what comes of it.

Thank you for providing me a way out of this, can be a little frustrating.

Will post WIP for those that care.

Teddit

Ahh - no way everybody has to download everything again. And how should one know when a scenery has been fixed. Uhh...

from http://developer.x-plane.com/2013/11/an-exclusive-club/

• Users need to stop deleting their scenery_packs.ini.  The .ini file is there to help you resolve conflicts, but it won’t work well if you constantly delete it.  Once you set up your priorities properly X-Plane will not change them!  Put your base meshes on the bottom, default airports in the middle, custom scenery in the top, and you are ready to go.

So will it work right when we edit the .ini?

Hi Lads,

Yes as the kind words and 'link' passed on from Chris K, editing your .ini file has  seem to remove the clash.

So for example, you can see for ini file below.

Still though its a bit pooh that we have to go in an edit the file via OE to add exclusions, then shift to the top of the .ini file.

I have mad OCD and like my names of my airport respective of the ICAO code. 

This throws it all out the window.  :D

Tedditpost-8271-0-46043600-1386844916_thumb.pn

Guys, the problem is not really the INI, nor does it solves the "core" problem, neither is that the central meaning of the link:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2013/11/an-exclusive-club/

The INI only specifies the priority of sceneries (layering). Which scenery should come first, second, etc.

But, the main problem still remains: that each scenery should (but many don't do this until now) specify what kind of other scenery elements should be EXCLUDED within its premises (defined via. EXCLUSION zones), and which not. And the developer has quite a list of choices, what he wants to be excluded from lower layer scenery:

http://scenery.x-plane.com/library.php?doc=dsf_xplane.php

sim/exclude_obj west/south/east/north sim/exclude_fac west/south/east/north sim/exclude_for west/south/east/north sim/exclude_bch west/south/east/north sim/exclude_net west/south/east/north sim/exclude_lin west/south/east/north sim/exclude_pol west/south/east/north sim/exclude_str west/south/east/north

And that is what the link above is about. That scenery authors MUST to take care of this exclusion explicitly, because X-Plane can't tell on his own, what scenery elements should disappear and what not from lower layer scenery (and neither should X-Plane do that, because sometimes it is desirable to mix elements from different scenery layers)!

As long as such exclusions are missing, you will always see mixing of scenery elements with elements from lower layer scenery.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks

I too have uploaded a number of US and European airports and admit I am guilty for not putting the exclusion zones in. When I started doing the sceneries I read the WED manual in its entirety and didn't come across any section which said these exclusions had to be put in. There is obviously the explanation of the exclusion tool, but no mention that these should be put in as a matter of course to prevent the issue we are now seeing.

I will try and add these and re-upload the files, but at the moment I just haven't got the time to do so. I think some of these people complaining really need to understand how long these airport scenery's take to produce, and that is before the actual creating of screenshots and uploading to the various libraries. Considering these are uploaded for people to enhance their simming experience to download for free, I think it's a bit fresh to start having a go at all the designers who haven't put the exclusion zones in.

A more prominent description of the need for this would be sensible in the WED instructions.

Edited by sichars1968
  • Upvote 1

... I think some of these people complaining really need to understand how long these airport scenery's take to produce, and that is before the actual creating of screenshots and uploading to the various libraries...

That is just what I am afraid of. Just imagine you bought XP10, upgrade to 10.25 and none of the free (or bought) airport looks as it should.

And I don't see that everybody (even the kneen XP users) dives into WED and goes zoning. Nope. The dev will update, sure, but many sceneries are very old (still OK) and the devs have gone for good. What then? Free distribution of a updated version would be impossible... It gives me nightmares know to have to download my 4+GB of scenery - and have to check every airport for updates.

Isn't there a way to have XP10 disable default objects or a tile/area when a custom scenery is present? At least by an additional compatibility option?

Cheers,

Mike

PS: In the meantime, who knows/has a little tutorial on exclusion zones to put up here for the interested?

Edited by Mike Hotel

But you see, the bid dilemma here!? For many years, people were all whining on and on, that X-plane needs some default airport scenery ... and so on, and so on .... Now it finally becomes reality (by the community approach with Lego bricks), and then again many are unhappy.

But there is an easy switch: just diable all default airports in you Scenery_packs.ini (in Custom Scenery) by changing the line

• SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

to

• SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

Then it will not show again until you re-enable it (but of course, this will disable all default airports). In the long run, EXLUSIONs are the way to go ... even if its now a pain.

The Lego bricks concept is excellent and that is what has got me into doing these airports in the first place. What I find very frustrating is that to submit the airports for inclusion globally you can only use the X-Plane 10 library objects. Bearing in mind XP10 has been out 2 years now, is it not high time we had some more library objects, otherwise these global airports are going to have a rather bland same look about them. I like to use objects from the other excellent libraries out there(OpenSceneryX and Ru library etc), so therefore I can only upload to the file hosting sites.

Yes people have been wanting default airport scenery, and all the airport scenery devs have tried to give people that before the global submission process started, now we are all being painted as the bad guys here. If the need and reason for these exclusion zones had been more prominently portrayed in the WED manual and elsewhere then maybe more people would have put them in. 

I agree that Laminar's communication of the exclusion topic was not very efficient, as it only took place in Ben's blog which is probably more read by users who want to know how X-Plane will develop, but less by freeware authors, who often simply do something.

The exclusion topic really belongs into the manual, and in other places than the development blog ...