Visibility Issues?

wcschulz3

Heads up!  We are working on a solid solution as I type.......We have something nice going on, I am still testing but I think it addresses many issues.....hang tight and stay frosty 

Thanks much!

For me it's more than an asthetic issue. Having the ability to turn down vis greatly improves my frame-rate when flying without Skymaxx. I assume the same will be true with Skymaxx installed.

I greatly look forward to reduced vis plus Skymaxx.

Fantastic program BTW. Look forward to the patch.

• Upvote 1

Your solution in 1.1 regarding low visibility is quite cool. Setting a low cloud upon ground to seal the look in the distance. This is how I interpret it. Looks quite ok in most situations. 

However the transition in climb and descent into "low vis" is not perfect yet. Should be more fluent (starting earlier and last longer). It's hard to explain and I will try to do some screens to explain.

But so far. Very good work on 1.1 and the frames... bless you. HDR on, sliders maxxed outa and even rays on... 30 and more... perfect. 

• Upvote 2

Ok, for what I tested the plugin has been greatly improved, and I'm now able to use it with many settings maxed (mostly because I do not see great performance improvements if I put them lower), but I still have a couple of question:

-Visibility of the clouds seems a bit too "short", and it seems to me that it does not change if I move the slider left or right...look at the screenshot (inbound SBGR with 58fps at the moment): it is related to the visibility distance set in X-Plane settings? Please explain...cause I have to definitely understand!

post-10201-0-21426200-1386241776_thumb.p

-Rays of God are available in HDR? because it does not seems to me...

-Shaders: I had installed a couple of upgrades BEFORE installing SMP: Sabach clouds (including shaders) and Sabach Sky Colors. I restored the default shaders and clouds to original ones, but not skycolors. It's ok? At the moment (after SMP installations) to me seems that the default skycolors are the Sabach one, and I'm ok with this, but what about the shaders? SMP uses it's own or not?

For the rest, I think performances could be improved and optimized a bit more, and some other small tweaks could be done again, but at least you can consider me (at the moment) one of the satisfied customers.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Mad Mat

I thing the cloud drawing distance is directly connected to X-Planes's visibility setting. Today I had a flight where METAR reportet vis at 4,3 Seamiles. I had only some tiny clouds below me and clear all behind, despite I was somewhere around FL150 at this point.

Cloud drawing of Skymaxx should be independent of X-Planes vis setting, if possible. 

-Rays of God are available in HDR? because it does not seems to me...

Yes, they work in HDR. Make sure they are actually marked as "ON" in the preferences checkbox, as well as with the slider turned up.

-Shaders: I had installed a couple of upgrades BEFORE installing SMP: Sabach clouds (including shaders) and Sabach Sky Colors. I restored the default shaders and clouds to original ones, but not skycolors. It's ok? At the moment (after SMP installations) to me seems that the default skycolors are the Sabach one, and I'm ok with this, but what about the shaders? SMP uses it's own or not?

Uninstalling was the proper way to go, and it's okay to keep those sky colors as is.

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to "uncouple" or "unbind" the SkymaxxPro Cloud draw distance from X-Planes Visibility setting in the WX-Dialog? Maybe an option and a slider to set the max draw distance in miles?!

Because it does not seem to work right. See attached pitctures with Cloud draw distance at max and X-Plane's Weather at 6,4 SM. The visibility aren't 6 miles once in the air, maybe on ground, and and the clouds are drawn only to 6 miles out. They should be able to be seen up to the horizon. And I thing that the visibility slider in X-Plane does hit the "ground visibility". In the air it's somehow calculated different. Maybe by WX facts, like temperature and dewpoint. 

This is XSquawkbox WX and may I quote your product: 

Compatible With

• VATSIM - xsquawkbox

• NOAA Weather Plugin

• X-Plane Real Weather Download

• ...And many more! - 

post-7715-0-05903200-1386776728_thumb.pn

post-7715-0-98170900-1386776736_thumb.pn

Edited by Jaggo82

Is it possible to "uncouple" or "unbind" the SkymaxxPro Cloud draw distance from X-Planes Visibility setting in the WX-Dialog? Maybe an option and a slider to set the max draw distance in miles?!

Because it does not seem to work right. See attached pitctures with Cloud draw distance at max and X-Plane's Weather at 6,4 SM. The visibility aren't 6 miles once in the air, maybe on ground, and and the clouds are drawn only to 6 miles out. They should be able to be seen up to the horizon. And I thing that the visibility slider in X-Plane does hit the "ground visibility". In the air it's somehow calculated different. Maybe by WX facts, like temperature and dewpoint. 

This is XSquawkbox WX and may I quote your product: 

No response on this?! Does it mean it being ignored... I just would like to know, if that's something to be considered, if possible. The visibilty and cloud distance rendering within X-Plane is very poor at the time being and it would rock, seeing SkymaxxPro to override this limitation.  

Jaggo, just be patient, I'm sure they'll fix it. It is a new product and they're getting all the feedback they need to produce more amendments so just let the magic work for a little. 

I know we paid good money but seeing the impact it is having on X-Plane I think it's just a matter of time before it becomes an AWESOME product, unless they want to lose their now acquired primacy for X-Plane weather engine(s). 

Good things come to those who wait. Or those who get there and get them done.

I agree with SPAS. Look what happened so far, they released version 1.1 in no time improving frame rate dramatically and fixing few bugs along the way.

John is always responding as well as Cameron.

I would say, give it a bit of time and enjoy what it available so far.  :)

Cheers, AJ  ;)

Shoot, Bill...I'm insanely guilt of quick reading here, and I apologize for it.

Real Weather and NOAA are based on their nearest METAR data location, so if for some reason the location you are at does not have a service station that reports to online sources, it will go to the next nearest one, and thus the visibility will not be true to life.

The NOAA plugin is not based on METARs, although it can be set to transition to them below a set altitude. It's actually based off of a real-time 0.5x0.5 degree global forecast model that is updated every 6 hours. Specifically the NOAA GFS which is part of the NOAA NOMADS NCEP Ensemble GRIB Data Info : http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_gfs_hd.pl .

Regards,

jdb2