Visibility Issues?

wcschulz3

The NOAA plugin is not based on METARs, although it can be set to transition to them below a set altitude. It's actually based off of a real-time 0.5x0.5 degree global forecast model that is updated every 6 hours.

This is entirely beside the point. It still loads data based on location and changes it often using the same method of weather injection that any other Real World method would. That's the point that matters. Anything more and we're just getting too technical for customers, which in turn gets mushed in words. Thanks though!

The NOAA plugin is not based on METARs, although it can be set to transition to them below a set altitude. It's actually based off of a real-time 0.5x0.5 degree global forecast model that is updated every 6 hours. Specifically the NOAA GFS which is part of the NOAA NOMADS NCEP Ensemble GRIB Data Info : http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_gfs_hd.pl .

Regards,

jdb2

If you want to be super technical, don't use the term "real time" with the term "6 hour cycle" in the same sentence.

There's nothing real-time about the NOAA forecast data.

• Upvote 1

If you want to be super technical, don't use the term "real time" with the term "6 hour cycle" in the same sentence.

There's nothing real-time about the NOAA forecast data.

My bad. Semi real-time? :) It's only "real-time" in that you can make real-time forecast projections from the data given the current GFS weather data on a second to hour basis until the next update comes around, although it should be said, you'd need a pretty powerful computer to do the forecast modelling.

Regards,

jdb2

Edited by jdb2

I'm going to use this topic to ask my question 

When I "escape" from a cloud the fade out effect of the visibility isn't smooth,I mean,it feels that I'm breaking throught walls...

When I enter& fly through the clouds,all is great,perfect volumetric clouds :)

BTW,really amazing product! 

Has the clouds draw distance been improved in v1.2 or in upcoming updates?

I was just wondering because the limited clouds draw distance creating a bubble effect is something I noticed since the start and improving this area would definitely help

Is it possible to "uncouple" or "unbind" the SkymaxxPro Cloud draw distance from X-Planes Visibility setting in the WX-Dialog? Maybe an option and a slider to set the max draw distance in miles?!

Because it does not seem to work right. See attached pitctures with Cloud draw distance at max and X-Plane's Weather at 6,4 SM. The visibility aren't 6 miles once in the air, maybe on ground, and and the clouds are drawn only to 6 miles out. They should be able to be seen up to the horizon. And I thing that the visibility slider in X-Plane does hit the "ground visibility". In the air it's somehow calculated different. Maybe by WX facts, like temperature and dewpoint. 

This is XSquawkbox WX and may I quote your product: 

We are still working out the best way to handle this. So far it's proving to not be an easy task.

Yeah looks like Xplane limits the possibility for tweaking at this point... However, maybe future development brings new areas to work at...

Nice to see all guys staying up with the user requests and trying to get the best out of it.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Upvote 1